Non exotic cars with decent paddle shift? | FerrariChat

Non exotic cars with decent paddle shift?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Bounce, Nov 29, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bounce

Bounce Formula 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Hey guys hope this is the right section, just wondering if there are any non exotic vehicles (daily driver) that have a proper manual paddle shift transmission?

I'm only aware of BMWs DCT but that still has buttons operated on steering wheel and not proper paddle shifts, other car I noticed was the 370Z with the 7spd auto but I hear that's clunky to use.

Cheers.

2. 250californiafan

250californiafan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2006
    Shawnee, KS
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #2 250californiafan, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
    The BMW DCT on the M3 does have proper paddle shifters. It is the cars with the traditional ZF automatic transmission that have the buttons on the wheel, plus the Z4 DCT (for the moment). As time goes on, BMW like most companies will use full paddles. Your other option for proper paddles would be the PDK transmission on the Porsches.

3. Bounce

Bounce Formula 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I feel so silly, looking at the paddles on the E92 M3 looked like buttons to me. Don't know too much about Porsche's PDK I'll have a read up. Thank you.

4. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    My, my.

We are in a new age when paddles can be considered "proper".

5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    #5 Auraraptor, Nov 29, 2010
    IIRC, the 'cheapest' true paddle shift cars (ie manual cars with hydro-ac clutch) that were ever made were:

1. Smart Roadster (heard it was course / not very smooth) - None ever officially brought to the US
    2. Last few years of Toyota MR2 (heard it smooth, but very very long shift time/slow shifting) - Not sure if any every brought to the US, never really liked the last gen MR2

By depreciation, the one of the cheapest would likely be one of the SMG BMW M3s. I am not sure if SMG1 E36 M3s (cheap) ever made it to the US either.

6. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I liked the paddles on the rx-8

7. Bounce

Bounce Formula 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Each to their own, what I mean is not a gimmicky auto with a paddle shift over ride.

8. Bounce

Bounce Formula 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I had no idea the Smart Roadster had it, I live in Australia and they seem to have depreciated a lot. I know that the Toyota MRS has a true manual paddle shift but I don't think they ever came to Australia. Cheers.

9. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    The Mitsubishi Evo has flappy paddles optional doesn't it?

10. Bounce

Bounce Formula 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    It does indeed, also comes in dual clutch. Something about it that I don't like though. I believe it's more responsive than the R35s too.

11. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Audi has the dual clutch DSG on the TT and probably other models.

Not sure if this is similar to the Porsche version, but I had a 2008 Audi TT with DSG and I can see why Ferrari abandoned its F1 system and went with something similar. Much smoother, quicker, etc.

12. brassM3

brassM3 Karting

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    I'm pretty sure you can get VW Golf GTis with the DSG transmission.

13. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I have a GTi with DSG/paddles and it's a great system IMO. automatic when you want it to be, manual when you want it to be. my only issues are the absolutely ridiculous service fees, and some jerkiness when going into reverse.

14. Doctor7474

Doctor7474 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2010
    Hoover Al,former Atl
    Full Name:
    Doctor
    The RX-8 is a true slush box that "allows" you to shift it manually, not a true duel clutch or sequential transmission type.

You have 3 different styles of "flappy paddle" transmissions now.

1. True slush box with torque converter that allows you to shift it manually. This is no different then the ancient designed hydraulic automatic transmission and shifting it manually with the shifter.

2. Single clutch sequential style transmission. These are the older Ferrari F1 boxes, and Lambo E-Gear boxes. Closest thing to the real deal F1 transmissions. Basically a standard manual transmission with a clutch but takes the disengaging shifting and re-engaging the clutch and does it either electronically with actuators or with hydraulics in the shifter alone not inside the gear box really. Only car that still uses this as far as I know is the Lambo's.

3. Dual Clutch Transmission. Is basically 2 manual transmissions built into one case with 2 clutches inside. How it works is one half of the transmission is even number gears, and the other half is odd numbered gears, one clutch for each "bank" of gears. When you are in first the second bank already has 2nd gear engaged and when you hit the shifter/paddle the clutch controlling 1st disengages while simultaneously the clutch with 2nd gear ready engages, then that "bank" where first gear was "loads up" 3rd gear and gets it ready. This is the fastest shifting transmission avail because of the way it works. It uses a hydro-electric unit much like a valve body on a true automatic transmission to control everything. It is also tied into the engine control module to actuate throttle and engine controls to blip the throttle or shift gears automatically if you so wish. These are probably going to replace every transmission model in every mfg's line up w/in the next few years. It already has in Ferrari's. Porsche invented it back in the early to mid 80's in conjunction with Borg Warner. Most mfgs are using either Borg Warner, ZF, or Getrag versions now. First mass produced vehicle with this transmission I think was the GTI which I owned and loved this transmission it was so much fun to drive. Now it's avail in Fiesta's and many many other vehicles. Most mfg's I think are going to go to this because they can thus build only 1 transmission for every vehicle and that gives the buyer the option to use it just like a automatic or shift it manually. Plus they are substantially stronger that most transmissions due to the way they are designed.

See the list here for cars that are using the dual clutch transmission:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_clutch_transmission

15. Bounce

Bounce Formula 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    The more I read around the more I read how great everyone says the DSG is on the golf, this might be the one. Seems like a great little car for daily driving and work.

How much lag is there from the moment you tap the paddle till the car shifts?

16. Doctor7474

Jun 20, 2010
    Hoover Al,former Atl
    Full Name:
    Doctor
    To answer your question the VW GTI is absolutely one of the funnest cars I've ever driven when I bought one in 08.

New Fiesta also has a DCT in it.

You have to be careful as some of the older "flappy paddle" transmission cars are just slush box autos that allow you to shift it, the old tiptronic Porsche are like this.

See the Wikipedia link above as what you probably consider a "proper manual paddle shift transmission" is a dual clutch transmission since the only cars avail with a true sequential transmission like F1 uses are exotics.

17. Doctor7474

Jun 20, 2010
    Hoover Al,former Atl
    Full Name:
    Doctor
    You can't tell it's that quick. Like 50ms or something like that, no different then the Ferrari dual clutch transmission shifts.

They really are fun to drive. I had an 08 2 door GTI with the DSG transmission. 200hp 200ft lbs torque. I'm 6'3" 300lbs and had to move the seat forward to reach the peddles where as most cars I have to put the seat all the way back. I could also sit in the rear seats with the front seats all the way back comfortably.

They also handle really well they are a true hot hatch. It was the funnest daily driver I have ever owned. I lived in Atlanta at the time with the worlds worst traffic and could just put it in drive like a automatic and get 26 mpg around the city if I stayed out of the turbo. You can also put it in sport mode which holds gears until you hit red line and you don't have to touch the shifter, or you can put it in manual and shift it manually either with the paddles or the shifter. I tended to shift with the shifter because it felt more natural that with the paddles because I have driven so many manual transmission vehicles.

Rear seats lay down and you can damn near get a sheet of plywood in it.

Plus you can get an APR down pipe and reprogram it and get close to 300hp out of it (goapr.com).

They offer a limited slip diff now too.

I'm about to get a 4 door GTI for the wife because she need's 4 doors they are the same exact size as the 2 door version.

VW also makes some of the best looking OEM wheels out there in my opinion.

I had the plaid seats and loved them, they are made by Recaro and are fully adjustable but not electronic.

I loved that car. They are safe as well, a Avalanche ran a red light in front of me and totaled it 6 months after I got it. Hit them head on at about 40 mph and just had a large black bruise where the seat belt went across my chest.

[​IMG]

18. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yes, I'm pretty sure they're the same unit/technology.

I've never been in an F430 F1, but the VW/Audi DSG has none of the jerkiness of the old 360 box.

19. Doctor7474

Jun 20, 2010
    Hoover Al,former Atl
    Full Name:
    Doctor
  20. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    #20 agup48, Nov 29, 2010
    Mercedes, none of the AMG cars are available in manual, so flappy paddles are the only way to go, from the C to the SLR.

Even the 'regular' cars have paddles. Never driven one, so not sure if they are decent :eek::D

21. 250californiafan

250californiafan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2006
    Shawnee, KS
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The Mercedes use a traditional torque converter auto with a manual override. The SLR has buttons instead of paddles, which I found to be surprisingly responsive for a traditional automatic. I think a few others also use buttons on the back of the wheel, but I am not an expert on Mercedes.

22. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #22 ibesuc, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Now, All Mercs have paddles or buttons. Though the shifts are actually quite responsive, it is not a true manual mode, It is only limiting the gears. However in all of the AMG cars there IS a true manual mode where the shifts are not as responsive as Ferrari's F1, but the mode is completely dependent on the driver (except if a down shift will reach redline). In the AMG cars the paddles are more noticeable and bigger and silver, but in the regular ones I really like how Merc fits them in with out them being to noticeable, they look really classy. Here is a pic of one in a regular S550.

Also, some of the AMGs (SLS, E63, SL63) are using legit clutch (no torque converter). I know the SLS uses the new double clutch and SL63 uses a wet clutch, not sure about the E63, it is one of those two.

Steve
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Bounce

Bounce Formula 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Thanks for the write up, It seems like a really great car. What I am looking at is to use it for business and it just seems to be great car for that.

In manual sport mode can you drop more than a gear at a time? I know with the 370z which is what I really wanted that you can't and it really slows down to work out the downshifts.

24. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    My Audi S5 Cabriolet has a 7 speed DCG with flappy paddles.

25. Doctor7474

Jun 20, 2010
    Hoover Al,former Atl
    Full Name:
    Doctor
    No you can't. You have to go up or down gear after gear.

There are really only 2 draw backs I see with these transmissions, that is one of them you can't coast and go from 5th to 2nd or 3rd, or go from 3rd to 5th. The other draw back is lack of clutch control because well you have no control over the clutch.

Another cool feature of the GTI DSG (and many dual clutch equipped cars) is launch control. On the GTI you turn off the traction control via a button below the radio, put it in sport or manual mode, hold the brake then press the gas. The car keeps the engine at around 3000 rpm or you can chose to lower that basically it's like revving the engine with a clutch pushed in. Hold the gas and side step the brake pedal and off you go perfect launch every time slight tire spin ect...