Nocciola Metallizzatto S# 00396 / 147 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Nocciola Metallizzatto S# 00396 / 147

Discussion in '206/246' started by surface master, Apr 16, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The rod is common practice in these cars for shaping the edges. What seems odd is that it does not end where the panel finishes and was continued to the chassis where it was then welded.

This assumes that we are looking at the correct thing and that we are not assuming wrong. The photo is not that accurate and there is a lot of crud there that may have us seeing things.

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    This is a photo pf the passenger's side front wheel well at the aft of the arch, where the 2 wire bundles travel to supply the rear of the car. The fitment "bracket" had to be hand fit to connect the chassis to bodywork.

3. surface master

surface master Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve N. Kouracos
    #78 surface master, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Absolutely right! Commonly seen on 206s, this solid steel guideline rod was a little less than a 1/4 of an inch in diameter. This rod was measured, shaped and attached to the frame as a guide to where the fender edge had to be. After the craftsman finished rolling and shaping the fender off the car he would then attach the fender to the car. When the fender was installed the craftsman had already determined the edge of the fender by where the rod was shaped. He then had to hand roll the aluminum fender edge around the steel rod, which would create the piping edge of the fender lip and give it rigidity.

This photograph was taken in the very early stages of the Dino 206 surface restoration on the Nocciola.

Steve
    http://stevekouracos.wordpress.com/
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. surface master

BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve N. Kouracos
    #79 surface master, Sep 12, 2012
    Getting ready to deliver this Dino 206 # 00396 to Jon G's shop for final assembly and interior. The front original lenses polished up real nice after a color sand. And if you recall, this car was shaved ... with no front Dino badge or bumpers. The owner of the car is meeting me tomorrow to see first hand. Here are a few more pics.

Steve

5. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Steve,Jon,
    I'm curious about the orange turn signal lenses, you say they are original but I thought Italian delivered 206GT's should have clear lenses?
    (dino reg indicates The first owner lived in Rome but owned from early 1970)
    Orange lenses would be UK delivery, was this originally configured for the UK?
    Are the instruments in English or Italian?
    Andrew

6. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I've already confirmed with Matthias (in offline discussion to clarify for judging purposes), Italian delivery had clear lenses with white indicator bulbs. DOT import process of an Italian delivery Dino (if the car went thru it), required front indicator bulbs to be changed to amber. My inquiry about this was regarding my M-Series 246GT...perhaps it was different for 206's?

7. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Yes, 206 (and L) are probably the same as later cars in that the lens is clear for Italy/France.
    I have the lighting schedule from Ferrari and Carello for early cars, but not for later ones.
    It says the number on the lenses should be 11.306.999 and 11.307.999 (L/R side) with a clear lens for Italian or French 206GT versions.
    Germany and UK had orange lenses with numbers 16.302.999 and 16.303.999.
    Like mine, most lenses have been replaced at some point for import or just faded and brittle.
    Andrew

8. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Car looks beautiful BTW :)
    Andrew

9. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    The white lenses would look better, regardless where in the world.

Orange clashes with that lovely Nocciola. My .02

Regards, Alberto

10. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #85 omgjon, Sep 12, 2012
    The beautiful 206 was delivered back to my shop in Escondido to put it back together with a new correct interior and carpet. Steve K. did another fantastic paint job and his attention to the details is amazing. He really does amazing work with such enthusiasm for our precious jewels. I'm looking forward to getting to work on this tomorrow!!

11. surface master

BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve N. Kouracos
    #86 surface master, Sep 12, 2012
    Hey Jon, Did you like the tjuana chrome on the spinners? Thanks for your kind words.
    I will post more pics later of the finish portion later this week. There is one shot I would like to show is...the client pulling away from my shop in his trustworthy Ford F350 D extra cab, original motor body/paint farm truck with over 800k.. You go figure. He's going straight to the bank on this one ... orange or clear lenses!!!

Steve

12. surface master

BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve N. Kouracos
    #87 surface master, Sep 13, 2012
  13. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    no, originally this 206 GT was delivered with clear lenses with white indicator/parking light bulbs....

14. krisdisk

krisdisk Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2009
    Flanders Belgium
    Full Name:
    Kris De Bruyne
    Nice!! Looking forward to that!!

15. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Steve, did this have the typical worn down door handle guide tubes you've mentioned before?
    (Door metal tube that sticks vertically upwards as a ferule for the door handle rod)

I recall you explaining to me that this is one area that typically gets overlooked by prior painters, sanded too far down. Fine details, but important ones!

Regards,

Scott

16. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #91 Nuvolari, Sep 14, 2012
    Scott you touched upon a detail that I always notice on a Dino. When the door skins are replaced most shops do one of two things:

1. They just drill a hole for the door handle and have its mounting ferule float in mid air.
    2. They 'replicate' the factory stand off that was there using body filler shaped to the same dimensions as original.

To my mind both of these options are not acceptable. Below is an image of the proper way to do it. The metal is shaped by hand to accept the door handle so that the fit is perfect. The second image shows the same panel with merely primer and NO filler of any kind.

The devil is in the details and the Dino body has tons of these subtle traits.

17. surface master

BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve N. Kouracos
    No. These were really nice and didn't look like anybody had ground them flat.

If I get a Dino and the crown is worn down it's a kinda' easy fix. I just go inside the door, cut the tab, tap the tube up, re-weld the tab, reshape the top... and you're done. It's good to have the handle that slides in the tube and, as you probably know, there's a little chrome ring that gets fitted on top of the tube. Once you get everything filed and it fits right, you're done.

Peace,
    Steve

18. surface master

BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve N. Kouracos

Rob,
    Those photos look exactly the way I do it as well and how your metal man probably did it is to bring the tube up through the hole and the tube gets welded to the door skin. It then gets filed and wa-la. No reason to use any filler. Yours really look nice. Great job!

The only thing that you've got to check is to make sure that the top of the tube is filed flat so when your door lever slides down it's nice and straight and doesn't sit in on an angle.

Steve

19. 430 scuderia

430 scuderia Guest

Jun 10, 2008
    Just a beauty. Congrats..!

Best

20. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Lovely, any updates from OMGJon / OMGJeff?

BTW, I hate to put things in terms of food (but I do that - LOL!)
    Once in Italy I believe I had a gelato called Nocciola, wasn't it a walnut flavor?

Scott

21. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Nocciola is what we call hazelnut. Fred

22. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #97 omgjon, Oct 12, 2012
    It started going back together last week. As you know this car was completely bastardized with shaved bumpers, 246 interior, racing gas cap filler, no trunk latch, no headliner hence no spars etc etc. Lot of parts needed sourced as well as made. Luckily I have my 206 right next to it which is pretty much all original, worn but original. I took lots of parts off my car to copy with the goal of getting David G's 206 back to original. David sourced some off the parts and others were copied off my 206. The interior is being made at Auto's International in Escondido who should be quite excellent by now after having at least 7 Dino interiors done by them. What's nice with being so close, Ralph from AI will come over to my shop to do the headliner carpets etc. Anything that needs glued down. I believe Alberto provided some of the center console fiberglass pieces. A few photos from the week.

23. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Outstanding work jon.
    Just an fyi, the black paint on the inside of the bumpers will be a points deduction if showing car.
    Ed

24. surface master

BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve N. Kouracos
    Thanks for posting some progress photos. It sure is nice to see it going back together. Nice work Jon!

Steve

25. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That is it,
    Thank you