Nocciola Metallizzatto S# 00396 / 147 | FerrariChat

Nocciola Metallizzatto S# 00396 / 147

Discussion in '206/246' started by surface master, Apr 16, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. surface master

surface master Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve N. Kouracos
    #1 surface master, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. surface master

BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve N. Kouracos
    #2 surface master, Apr 16, 2012
  3. surface master

BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve N. Kouracos
    The last resteration / paint job they shaved all most everything, bumpers,front Dino badge
    and filled the inside of the jams with filler. What were they thinking!!!!

4. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
  5. surface master

BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve N. Kouracos
    Thank you GIOTTO! Did not know Jon started a thread...We'll figure it out.

6. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    You forgot about the black trim.

It was the 80's. Cocaine, booze and broads...

Where is my Miami Vice pastel jacket?

7. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Steve, it was good seeing the car today just before it going to primer today. The body looks great and I'm excited to see it going back to it's original color. We are all standing by waiting for pictures of your progress!

8. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Jon,

Are you taking back to factory specs or as you bought it?

It will be awesome to see a Dino, once again, in a color than a RESALE color.

Shawn

9. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    This one is not mine. I took it apart for Steve K. to paint. It is going back to totally original including color. David G. owns the car. I have yet to start on mine.

10. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

great to see another thread to showcase your lovely work. i recently was headed with an associate to catalina via boat and i met your daughter. she is a friend of my associates son. she was very nice and was a tremendous advocate of her dad's work on ferraris. i was shocked to find that she was steve k's daughter!

i was so happy to tell her that i could not believe what a small world it was and how much i admired her father's work!

steve, i look forward to meeting you at some point and further look forward to having you do some of your fantastic work on oe of my cars!!

glad to see you continue to post here steve.

best,

pcb

11. surface master

BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve N. Kouracos

It is a small world! I guess I'll have to give my daughter a commission on any work I get from that boat ride to Catalina.

I'll be posting more photos of the 206 later today. I'm also planning to open two more threads in the next week or so on the 2 Dino GTSes we were just awarded. Keep your eyes open for them.

Look forward to meeting you as well.
    SK

12. surface master

BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve N. Kouracos
    #12 surface master, Jul 26, 2012
    One of the first things we tackled were the internal bumper brackets. This Dino came to us with no bumpers. When we got deep into it we came to find out that all of internal bracketry and housings to mount the new bumpers was missing. So, we fabricated and duplicated bumper bracketry using Jon G's 206 as a template. It was a little tough to get the right spacing between the OD on the pip and the sheet metal. I believe on the 206s there was not a plastic or rubber ring like they use on the 246s. But we got it pretty darn close on all four pipes and it all worked out great. The owner bought new bumpers from Dino Parts. We're one step closer to our goal.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. surface master

BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve N. Kouracos
    #13 surface master, Jul 26, 2012
    Another item that was missing when we received the car was the iconic Dino badge from the front nose. I didn't luck out when it came to the Badge indentation... I stripped it hoping to find it under the filler but no chance. We had to cut out a new insert and weld it in to accept the badge. The owner purchased a new badge that we are fitting in. The photo below shows it in the rough stages as we fit it.

14. surface master

BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve N. Kouracos
    #14 surface master, Jul 26, 2012
    I am sure glad that I work with such hands on owners that take the time to research hard-to-find parts. The rear deck lid button was missing and the owner located one and shipped it directly to me so we could keep the progress rolling and move the car forward toward completion. These are parts that you just can't buy from an auto parts store. It takes TIME and more TIME to research to find these old parts.

15. surface master

BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve N. Kouracos
    #15 surface master, Jul 26, 2012
  16. surface master

BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve N. Kouracos
    #16 surface master, Jul 26, 2012
    Most Dino doors have a tendency to sag over time. Probably from some pretty Italian girl sitting on the door posing for a photo... no not really but the hinge holes "egg" out. In order to get the best fit we had to line ream the hinge holes and install new over-sized pins to move through freely. Some folks, when they're at this stage, get the over-sized pins and drive them in where it's almost impossible to ever take them out again. That's why it's so important to take the time to line ream everything together so that you're new pin slides down nicely with just a "tap". When we're surfacing we probably doors on and off the car three or four times before paint. It makes my job so much easier when I don't have to get a torch to heat up the hinges and pound the pins out every time.

A big thanks to Alex S. for his expertise. A retired master machinist and tool maker he made the line reaming happen and he was a pleasure to work with.

17. surface master

BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve N. Kouracos
    #17 surface master, Jul 26, 2012
    Surfacing is one of the most grueling stages of my profession. It is such physical labor and it truly takes a toll on you. It's not for the novice but for the experienced craftsman it is the key to a fine finish. Although this is the toughest stage it is also the most critical stage. I think the photo of me suited up speaks volumes.

This is the stage where we fit doors, lights, accent lines, deck lid, engine cover. This is where fit and finish starts so that when we reassemble everything fits together perfectly.

Anyone who knows me knows I am a nut when it comes to shut gaps. I know that "it's not the way they came from the factory" but the Italian craftsman were working on a line and didn't have the time to focus on this detail.

18. surface master

BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve N. Kouracos
    #18 surface master, Jul 26, 2012
    We're in the second primer but we're still in 150 Long Board Dry. This is the stage I really like because this is where it all comes together...where we fine tune shut gaps and surfaces. It's also exciting because we are getting closer to color. Most painters would go to paint from here and be happy with the surface being straight but we'll be going into another primer to make things flat.... there is a difference.

At this stage we're using specially made 24" - 32" boards. These are specially made tools that form to the body giving us the correct sweep. There's a difference.

I'll post some tools next week so you can get a feel for what I'm talking about.

19. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Steve, the bumper mounts on early cars go body colour and do not use rubber trim rings like in the later cars. Looking good.

20. surface master

BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve N. Kouracos
    Thanks! I knew they didn't take the trim ring but didn't know the tube mounts were suppose to be body color. I thought they just went satin black. Thanks again. I'll finish them accordingly because they are visible.

21. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    Many thanks for the photos. Great craftsmen on a great car. If you ever come to France, my Dino is awaiting some work.

22. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

my cars will not go to anyone else for paint work! what great attention to detail...everyone thinks they cover the details but seldom really do. you understand how wackey we owners are and how we often have nothing betterto do than to critique and tear apart the quality of our own cars...it can keep me up at night. you however have the ability to turn out a car that can pass the crazy owner test :)

lovely work steve!

pcb

23. surface master

BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve N. Kouracos

Thanks for the kind words. I learned from the best. It's my passion.

24. surface master

BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve N. Kouracos

You can always put it in a container and send it to me.... (it's been done before). Once I'm done with it I'll personally deliver it back to you as long as we can enjoy some of your fabulous French wine and cheese! I'd love to see a photo of your Dino.

25. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    I've just posted one in the "Where our Dinos reside" thread. I will think of your proposal. OK for the wine and cheese. We have plenty of other good stuff.