No resistance clutch pedal and slave valve question | FerrariChat

No resistance clutch pedal and slave valve question

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Freerange72, Jun 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Freerange72

Freerange72 Karting

May 22, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Donnie
    Guys, after getting to finally finish my CV boot/drive axle repair, Cranked up the car to let it warm up while I cleared up the lift and some straggling tools laying around with the intention of going for a light drive around the block so that I can check my work. Soooo while trying to engage reverse I noticed that there was no resistance to the clutch pedal. Notice that the brake failure light illuminated, got out realized it was low. Topped it off, light turned off, still no resistance. I do not think that their is air in the line because the reservoir was never empty. Checked the Slave valve and It still looks new, no oil or dirt for that matter.

So to recap:
    - I topped off reservoir with DOT 3 fluid
    - I spent some time pumping the clutch (somewhere between 5-10 min)
    - visually inspected slave valve assembly (did not take apart but I did squeeze generously the bellows)

other information: due to the length of time of me getting the CV boots redone, I did start and let the car run for 10-15 minutes every to every other week. This also included engaging the clutch and going through the gears.

Thoughts? Go ahead and reseal the slave valve or replace?

Thanks,

Donnie

2. Freerange72

Freerange72 Karting

May 22, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Donnie
    Well after writing this. I went back to look and poke around some more. I pressed the push rod upward and low and behold squirting liquid. So is this a rebuild or just replace slave valve?

3. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Probably just the rubber seals inside deteriorated from exhaust header heat.

Freerange72 likes this.
  4. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    It's easier to replace the entire slave cylinder if you can get one at a good price. The seal is available, but it is difficult to replace. You might even damage the new seal in the process.

Freerange72 likes this.
  5. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    One other thing you need to check: the hydraulic tube that runs to the clutch slave cylinder is known for leaks, especially if it hasn't been replaced for the last 10 years. I had the issue and will have a new one made this week. The tube was cracked just behind the head as you can see on the picture, resulting in a clutch pedal that stayed on the floor with all the DOT liquid gone.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Freerange72 likes this.
  6. Freerange72

Freerange72 Karting

May 22, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Donnie
    Stefan, saw your post with Goldfinger thread. I will definitely check out when i replace the slave cylinder. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

7. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Good thread!

8. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    Hi guys ,

Just replaced my clutch master cylinder last Tuesday . The clutch slave cylinder was replaced last year because of fluid leak . The master cylinder failed and was replaced but when the mechanic was bleeding the system , they were having difficulty because of the hose that failed as well . We replaced the hose and my car is back on the road .

Luigi

9. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    in many cases it's only the hose that leaks and the master nor slave need to be replaced!

10. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    That’s true Stekken I could have replaced the hose only, but since I replaced the clutch slave cylinder last year , I insisted that my mechanic replace the clutch master cylinder as well .

11. Freerange72

Freerange72 Karting

May 22, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Donnie
    Just to close this out, bought the slave cylinder at AW Italian. I considered the rebuild and still may rebuild the one I took off. Anyhow, I also purchased the Motive pressure bleeder (euro one 001 I believe) which is ridiculously easy to use. I cannot speak enough about it and for the US folks is was $50 ish with same day delivery free with Amazon Prime. I reused the snap rings and the original pushrod with the new cylinder. And everthing went together nicely.

So now back on the road yesterday and this evening and on to the next few projects items.

- accumulator and fuel filter.
    - cloth braided hoses as I find them needingto be replaced.
    - and of course still trying to diagnose some electrical ussues after replacing fuse board.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk