No one, even LH...... | FerrariChat

No one, even LH......

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by DF1, Sep 16, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Has a "moral" claim to a sporting title. Its a sporting title....NOTHING ELSE. My word the season is not even over yet. Amazing quotations if true. The Sun is not something of a sports bible I gather. I did notice in an interview he talked about his religious faith being stronger this year. Good for him but F1 is not about saving souls or curing cancer. Its just driving really fast in a business of entertainment.

Hamilton: I deserve 2008 F1 title.
    Tue 16 Sep, 12:08 PM - PlanetF1.com

McLaren-Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton stresses his conviction that he 'morally deserves' to win the 2008 F1 World Championship - and that victory in the Belgian Grand Prix was his, not Ferrari rival Felipe Massa's.

Lewis Hamilton has stated his belief that he 'morally deserves' to win the 2008 Formula 1 World Drivers' Championship - as Bernie Ecclestone has similarly backed the British star to lift the laurels at season's end.

Hamilton now holds just a slender one-point advantage over Ferrari rival Felipe Massa in the standings following the Italian Grand Prix at the weekend - pending his Spa-Francorchamps appeal - and, in the wake of criticism from a number of his rivals over what they deemed to be his robust driving standards at Monza [see separate story - click here], has vowed to push harder than ever over the final four races of the campaign.

"I'm a fighting force," the 23-year-old is quoted as having asserted by British newspaper The Sun. "I'll continue to prove that there's nothing that can put me off or bring me down.

"I've showed I'm more mature this year. I'm focusing on keeping myself in shape and not letting anything distract me. I am not messing around doing stupid things, just keeping myself nice and quiet and doing everything right.

"Morally, I think I deserve the title and I'll do everything in my power to win it. There are four races left and they are all long hauls which I love. I'll be ready."

The Stevenage-born ace also insisted that he was unfazed by the FIA International Court of Appeal hearing into his 25-second, Belgian Grand Prix chicane-cutting penalty on Monday. Should he and McLaren-Mercedes win the appeal, Hamilton's lead over Massa would be stretched out to a more comfortable seven points with 40 remaining up for grabs.

"I'm not thinking about Paris," he urged. "It won't be a distraction. I feel like I won the race in Belgium, so I've not even bothered to think about it. What has happened has happened and I'll move on whatever the result, then I'll focus on getting more points in the next races.

"There's no driving you can do to plan for Singapore, but it will be a great experience racing on the streets again. I've never been to the city before, and I love the fact we're going back to a street circuit.

"Then it's Fuji, [and] you know what I'm like there; [in 2007] I drove quickly in both the dry and wet. Shanghai, same again. I was very quick there last year - and I know the car I have will be fantastic there this year - and then it's Brazil. We'll be quick there again.

"I would say none of them will be particularly key. In each race we're going to be attacking, and I really do feel in the next four races we'll be very strong. I can't wait."

Pressed by the Daily Telegraph about whether he now believed the championship is his to lose, Hamilton was adamant that things would not turn out the same as in 2007 when he lost the title in the very final race in Brazil, having at one stage held a 17-point margin over Kimi Raikkonen, the man who stole his glory at the last.

"When you're in the lead, perhaps," he acknowledged, "but I'm not looking at it that way. Kimi is world champion, so it is his championship to lose."

"I'm in the lead because I've made fewer mistakes," he added in an interview with BBC Sport. "You have to enter each race with heart [and] you also have to be smart, [but] I can't afford any more mistakes [after the tyre error in qualifying at Monza], definitely not.

"I really have a skill where I am able to put a previous disappointment behind me. He (Massa) is the guy I have to beat. He has a good car and is a good driver. I have to make every sacrifice in the last four races, but I honestly feel confident in my ability to win the championship."

Meanwhile, the eight-time grand prix-winner has received the backing of the sport's supremo Ecclestone as the battle for the crown reaches fever pitch over the next few weeks.

"I think the odds slightly favour Hamilton now," the 77-year-old is quoted as having said by the Daily Mirror. "I've said since the start of the season Massa would do it for Ferrari, but looking at what Hamilton is doing in all areas generally, he's the one who is more likely to win it now."

2. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    The guy is arrogant and way too much in love with himself. Massa on the other hand is being humble and not pumping so much sunshine up his ass. Now I really am rooting for Massa. I hope he kick his ass.

3. DF1

He gives credit to Massa here. I like that and LH is a gifted driver, but he need not enter politics just yet for the Conservative Party. We do have 4 races left. A sense of entitlement is just a bit premature. As arrogant as others have been in the past I dont think they actually said a title was a moral imperative.

4. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    LH has issues, that is why he "needs" body guards. I won't write a life insurance policy on him.

5. tactical

tactical Guest

Jan 23, 2008
    Good for Lewis, he will win it anyway. And will you stop confusing arrogance with confidence for crying out loud.
    Even supremo Ecclestone is in favour of the guy, and the sport of F1 is his. Its not like anything anyone says on here matters any way i suppose, even the red necks.

6. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Lewis definitely needs a mouth filter. Saying all of this stuff certainly puts a lot of self-induced pressure on him. Yet, I still think he has a good chance of pulling it off. The guys can back it up with his driving, but we've also seen how that aggressiveness comes back to haunt him.

I've said over and over again, the guy drives like he's the only person on the grid who matters and he has a right to win. That kind of cocksure attitude will create as many detractors as supporters for him, but you can't deny he makes it all more interesting. Sports definitely benefit from having somebody to hate. I think Lewis has taken that title away from Alonso.

Mouthiness aside, I still like his talents and skill on the track.

7. DF1

Redneck Im not and read my caveats respecting his religion and his compliments to Felipe and HIS SKILLS. He gives respect. That does not confer a title until the season is done. Where is it written he has a moral claim to anything much less something as MEANINGLESS in this big violent real world as the WDC. The other drivers certainly have issue with his moral driving compass I gather.

Its earned, and forgive me but there are 4 races left. Im glad Bernie favors him. Bernie favors anything to bring in more good fortune to his accounts. I havent confused anything at all but thank you for trying to decide what I comment on and in what context, confused or not(so you say). Criticism of LH is more than fair here or on any other forum. Im glad you now understand you decide nothing for anyone here.

8. Champboat/Champcar

Champboat/Champcar Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    I think L.H. is full of CRAP !

9. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

Another Lewis quote from today;

" Me. Me, me ME ME ME, me, me-me-me, MEEEE, me meme, ME Me mE , Me , me me me me................................................................... me"

10. DF1

Contrary to an above poster I do think LH is a great driver. Confident and aggressive. He drives to win. That cannot be in doubt, but his mouth is a bit astounding. The sport will go on without him and it existed before him. Someday he will see that and grow.
    The last thing he is on is a moral mission. Folks fighting terrorism, disease and other afflictions, making far less can lay claim to something of a moral entitlement. Even they are not quoted in the press(IF TRUE) in such a thoughtless manner. Its just racing and it has very little to do with a moral claim.

11. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Except ramming into Kimi in Montreal. That, and moving in with an exotic dancer.

12. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Nowt wrong with that Jack..;)

13. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Confidence is when you know you will win despite the fact that circumstances and luck and fate and teamwork go against you. Arrogance is when you claim the moral high ground and claim it is yours.

Lewis (he of the platinum spoon in his mouth) needs to take a dose of humility. He would be more liked and he wouldn't sound like the dumb ass that he is. He may be a talented racer, but he is a crappy human individual. For my money, I'd rather have a sincere person who truly sees his great life for what it is. Like, well, like Vettel--did you see how excited he was. It was genuine. He knew it was circumstances, but he prepared for those exact circumstances--and when his opportunity came, he made it happen.

Much better than moral authority. F**k off Lewis.

14. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

A big part of the problem is LH's father and the other people he associates with.

15. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    All big and brave hiding behind your keyboard. :rolleyes:

16. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I predict another storm a brewing

17. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #17 355, Sep 16, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
    Alonso is still the worst one for me but he can redeem himself and he can do this if he just shuts up and works on his car instead of blaming the team and everyone else for him not winning. BUT he can win much support from me and I could forgive him for many of his indiscretions if he would only run Lewis off the track and softly into the tires just once in the 4 remaining races. :)

18. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Coz that's the only way your boy Massa will win him eh!! Franco...;)

19. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #19 355, Sep 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    No, Its for the simple reason that (as Ralph Kramden use to say) HE'S GOT A BIIIIIIIIG MOUTH!!! ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #20 jk0001, Sep 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Thats not Ole Ralphie Baby:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. DF1

It might be if it keeps on raining on Ferrari and the F1 parade :)

22. absila

absila Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 8, 2008
    Beneath all the bravado and moral dilemmas he seems insecure and mostly battling himself.

23. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It's just food for the feeding frenzy of hate, it sells the rags, and ironic as it is, he is the most talked about driver.

By commenting on all the stories that emerge about him you justify the media interest in Lewis that you all claim to despise

24. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    ALL HAIL 'KING' LEWIS. he has spoken and shall be handed the title by no one other than the smack fairy.

sweet holy batman, this dude is so full of himself! how can you be 'entitled' to a WC!?

25. DF1

I see WE are all guilty of that. I think if true, its amazing to use the words "moral" and F1 in the same sentence LOL :)