no new gasoline car sale in 2035 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

no new gasoline car sale in 2035

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by IloveGT, Sep 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    You are assuming that regulations will allow human operated vehicles to attain such acceleration on public roads. Fifteen years is more than enough time to implement speed control in all EVs. Its the gas cars with the current electronics that would escape such regulation. In the end the gas exotics will outperform the EVs.

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Plausible.

3. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    #28 JTSE30, Sep 26, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    not even close, never will be

https://www.ncl.ac.uk/research/impact/casestudies/oil/#discovermore

not to mention all that untapped shale remains, untapped:

https://energynow.com/2020/08/oil-drilling-drops-to-15-year-low-with-shale-in-full-retreat/

not including vast undersea deposits, currently too expensive to cultivate (especially with shale extraction being far less costly), but remain viable

and never mind all the coal that can be converted to gasoline...(gasification)

http://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/genchem/topicreview/bp/1organic/coal.html
    Furthermore, the proven reserves are so large we can continue using coal at this level (1990) consumption for at least 2000 years.

Fun quote:
    The Stone Age didn't even because we ran out of stone, and the Oil Age will not end because we ran out of oil...

More fun facts:
    http://www.esa.int/Science_Exploration/Space_Science/Cassini-Huygens/Titan_s_surface_organics_surpass_oil_reserves_on_Earth

Saturn's orange moon Titan has hundreds of times more liquid hydrocarbons than all the known oil and natural gas reserves on Earth, according to new Cassini data

Proving that oil is abiotic, not based on dinosaurs...

greg328 and Zanny1 like this.
  4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Supply is not the problem, demand is.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

paulchua likes this.
  5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    To clarify, the problem is the demand for gasoline. EV cars will increase demand for electric power, which will increase demand for nat gas. Gasoline, not so much.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  6. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I’ve recently read that cars account for 15% of all pollution and toxic gases that harm the environment. Commercial aviation and the fashion industry are far more harmful, for instance.

To single out cars is like bashing a piñata: comfortable, easy and we feel good about ourselves. On the other hand, it doesn’t strike back. So we take care of those 15% if we kill internal combustion engines. Great. Then what? What about the other 85% while we drive our zero emition vacuum clears on four wheels?

While imvho killing ICE engines may be regarded as a step forward in achieving a sustainable planet (certainly won’t hurt), it’s a drop in the ocean.

Fun fact: A Concorde, while taxing from the departure gate to the runway (5-10 minutes rolling), burnt more fuel than an average daily driver car does in SIX MONTHS. Care to know how many commercial flights are in the air all over the world as we speak?

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

Texas Forever, paulchua and IloveGT like this.
  7. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    As I see it there are a number of hurdles to overcome. First and obvious is supply of #1 power #2 charging stations and an actual standard for charging. Next is battery capacity, and speed at which they can safely charge. Then you have cost, they aren’t cheap and with advances required to overcome all of the above mentioned cost will increase in a number of areas. My concern is what will people do to be able to afford this stuff paced this quickly?

it was mentioned in the debate ( or debacle which ever you prefer) about this possibly being a nationwide initiative. Who’s going to pay for this? I mean if there were way more car companies developing this stuff, for longer, it might not be a big deal but Tesla is clearly the leader and they’ve been held back in numerous areas.

even I will admit the writing is already on the wall but the time frame concerns me. And how are you going to generate all the power to charge these cars and trucks? There is only so much land to put windmills and solar panels. Will going all electric cause more pollution from energy production from fossil fuels? What about more power plants? I mean most folks here could maybe afford to pay more but not everyone can. And I doubt raising the minimum wage is the answer either since it will cause job loss and increase prices due to higher overhead.

if the us wants to be the leader in EV production I think that’s great but a 15 year hard target is in my opinion a mistake and likely to be pushed off further due to inability to reach a difficult goal.

And it’s hard to not make this political since the goals set forth are largely politically motivated. I’d like to hear from the engineers their honest take on this. And I’d like to know what the actual cost will be and who’s footing the bill. Likely will be a combination of taxes, increases in goods and services associated with attaining a such a goal.

Texas Forever likes this.
  8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Nuno is correct. My calculations are even lower. In the US they say transportation makes up about 30% of CO2 emissions. However, what is conveniently left out is that's all transportation:

Planes
    Trains
    Boats

If you just count passenger cars it's about 9% of total CO2 production. Not insignificant, but not the 'magic bullet' some Prius drivers assume it is.

P.S. Nuno, I hope Italy is doing better during these dark times...Ciao my friend.

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Nope..they simply won't be allowed on the roads once electric or whatever takes over..along with the self driving car. Humans themselves will.become the most dangerous device behined the wheel.

BT likes this.
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Some backroads I drive nearby my house still allow horses.

tomc likes this.
  11. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i posted this on another thread

i have been actively emailing from my concerned citizen email address to CA legislators about the need to ban all ICE use NOW.

my hope is that after january, the wackos take full control and it comes true

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Horses around here are legal transportation. Heck I have seen a horse and rider grabbing coffee at the local coffee shop drive through.. however they cannot go on the highway and other multi-lane roads..thier movements are indeed restricted..

13. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Politicians virtue signaling. Newsom can’t even keep the lights on in CA and he thinks everyone will be able to charge a car lol.