No more Marlboro decals on F2008 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

No more Marlboro decals on F2008

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Remy Zero, Apr 16, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    They should still ditch Marlboro.... Its a tacky sponsor anyway IMO...

2. rodolfo

rodolfo Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2007
    Mexico
    I love Marlboro liveried Ferrari´s
    I love the triangular Marlboro of the late 90´s
    I love the Strich code logos on the 05 Ferrari´s
    I love the white hashmark´s of the 2007
    and I love the white block with code also on the F2008

It is and end to an era. Thank you Phillip Morris for supporting Racing, F1 and Marlboro

So long Marlboro, you will be missed...

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Can you substantiate the claim that it is habit inducing with any significant study?

James Hunt or Keke Rosberg getting out of their cars after having put them on pole position and lighten up a cigarette, yes, that image goes right into kids' hearts and minds. A brand name on a car doesn't do the same IMHO.

To each his own. I think your avatar is missing about half of its image. ;)

PS: You wouldn't believe the ends I went to to get original Marlboro stickers and patches for all my suits, jackets and helmets. They did a good job banning the stuff in the US.

4. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho

You have brought up a good point, rather then banning tobacco companies from sports, we need to ban alcohol from racing, drink'in and drive'in don't mix.

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Also makes it easier to keep track of the cars. I barcode all my Ferraris. ;)

What he said.

Frankly, the Marlboro brand isn't even cool anymore. It used to imply independence. Now it implies the consumer is a suicidal moron..

6. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Fair enough.

I know.

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think that every time a guy on a motor bike blows by me only wearing his shorts.

8. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    When I was in Thailand, I noticed that they had autopsy pictures of black rotted lungs etc. with warnings right on the packs of cigarettes. They should do that here maybe..

9. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    They do. In my area, they have commercials (from the New York Surgeon General or something like that) with gangrenous foot and them drawing the line where to amputate. By far the most horrific thing I have ever seen on television.

10. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    +1, I've had guys doing wheelies by me doing 50+ with no more than a tee shirt and shorts on. Obviously some people aren't born with brains.

11. shahedc

shahedc Formula 3

Jun 4, 2007
    Washington DC
    If it is successful in raising brand awareness, then it does contribute to forming the habit.

Vodafone being a disloyal sponsor does not imply that Marlboro is a caring company.
    We have already established that the "bar code" or the lack of a logo is a good advertising campaign for the brand. Also, it was also mentioned that they sell the ad space to others... so they are making money too.

Someone here mentioned that Shell would have paid it if Marlboro were not there.

Ever heard of second-hand smoke? Or about family members and friends who may actually care that someone close to them is dying of tobacco-related causes?
    (I won't touch the DUI topic here, that deserves its own discussion and is not relevant here)

Wait a sec... you just admitted that it is a killer product.. yet you "proudly" wear the logos?

12. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    My lawyer is drawing up papers right now as we speak. We are preparing to sue FerrariChat because this site is so addictive, that my wife feels it is taking me away from her and our 2 y/o son. There should have been some type of warning posted when we first registered for this site. I am telling you all right now, FerrariChat has the potential to destroy relationships, marriages and with the bikini thread in OT forum, it can easily cause someone to be fired from their job if they are not careful.

13. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I've always hated it that Ferrari's F1 cars grew logos on them that had nothing to do with the sport but I guess it was inevitable. Ferrari did a decent job of keeping it to a minimum and did not let other decide too much how their cars looked. It was sad enough to see the old red replaced by that hideous rossa scuderia and now that toycar candy metallic red. It just doesn't do it for me. The same for the Marlboro name. Good ridance I say. Along with all those ugly extra wings and bits. Can't wait for 2009!

14. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Peter, in total agreement with you except for the extra wings and bits parts... anythng that makes the car go faster or that adds downforce or whatever to make it perform better is fine with me. ;)

15. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    A Ferrari car with that painted on... Beautiful!

How long before they offered rotted lungs vynils as OEM for the road cars? For a premium, or course.

16. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    I always thought one of the most interesting ideas for Marlboro would be to buy out the whole car and just run a plain red car. It would make a huge statement that in itself would be publicity without having to say "Marlboro". 80% of the time, the car deosn't say Marlboro now anyway... I would think this would be even bigger publicity and would solve some problems.... I could be wrong but it seems that they could still use the car on billboards and in adverts etc. to reinforce their association with Ferrari... On the track however, they would seemingly circumvent any tobacco sponsorship bans. It would be very expensive to buy out the whole car but I think people would love it. I'm not sure if it would work in terms of their marketing needs but they seem to think that the bar code livery is identified as Marlboro so.... Racing fans know the bar code means Marlboro but does the average person on the street know when they see the car on the front of a magazine or something? I wouldn't think so..... I would think buying out the whole car and running it plain red would be much more publicity but I could be wrong. UPS is known as "Brown", Marlboro could as easily be known as "Red" maybe....though they can't advertise on TV...hmnn...?? Frankly, I am surprised that Ferrari wants anything to do with Marlboro but they do so this idea may be a solution for some of the advertising bans. Just my $.02

17. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I´ve read that Phillip Morris do own all the espace on the car and later re-sells it to another sponsors. Don´t know if it´s true.

18. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    I guess that would make it easier/cheaper to do then... Not sure if they think there would be a strong enough brand association through such a strategy but I honestly feel it would work better than the bar code livery...but that publicity may be temporary.. Not sure...

19. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #94 RP, Apr 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I am probably just dating myself as from a prehistoric era, but I thought F1 was far better off when the cars were run in the national racing color of their country only. Ads were on billboards, trackside signs, and such things as the "tire" overpass.

Remember the freak-out that occurred when they painted the Lotus Cars for John Player?

Maybe this quiet good taste for racing cars really all died in the psychedelic 70s as proved by the various BMW, Porsche, and other "art cars".

But then, I still miss my companies rule for "white shirts and ties" for engineers. We wore our shirt protectors and slide rules like badges of honor.

And, I guess that really was another day and time.

21. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    A hack study since debunked by real science. There is no demonstrated scientifically valid link between cell phone use and brain or other tumors.

Aspartame is the most heavily vetted food additive known, and only of true danger to phenylketonuriacs and ignorant hypocondriacs.

No. It's my choice to become educated and to develop the capacity for critical reasoning, and not be mislead by either ignorant axe-grinding chicken little nanny-staters or tobacco pushing corporate stooges, or their heirs and assigns.

22. shahedc

shahedc Formula 3

Jun 4, 2007
    Washington DC
    opus, don't bother responding to his inane posts... he already admitted that he supports smoking because it creates great work opportunities for health professionals (correct me if I'm wrong!)... also, he's smart enough to keep himself and his kids away from cigarettes....

23. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

Sigh........I agree with you. But I continue to acknowledge I was barely conceived at this time. Same as being being sort of pregnant.

24. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

You forgot the comment about airplanes causing thousands of deaths annually.

25. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I have learned something from this thread. I always thought "barcode" was when a friend was trying to signal me by waving his hand in panic that the woman I was hitting on in a dark bar was below a 5.

You guys had had to wait until now to explain the truth?? There are times a 4 will do just fine.