NJ DMV Classic Car Registration | FerrariChat

NJ DMV Classic Car Registration

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by ASG 86TR, Sep 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    I just registered the TR as a classic (Not a Historic). Need to have collector insurance, and not drive more than 3K miles a year. Keep the same plates, but you go to the inspection station where they verify the odometer works and they slap on a 2 year sticker. No other inspection. First year is $25 then $10 each year after.

Good way to go for those that have mods to their cars, or do not want to deal with inspections / price of inspection.

For more info call the NJ DMV and ask them to send you an application for Classic Car Registration.

2. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

3. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Just did this on my '74 BMW. I thought the car had to be at least 25 years old?

4. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Thats the difference between Collector Car and Classic. No age requirement on Collectors

5. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I drive more than 3K/year. :(

6. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    So Classic registration gets you the Historic QQ plates?

7. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    Greg...you are correct....Collector...

8. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

All I know is that Collector does not have QQ's... I was able to keep my personalized tags.

9. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    There are two different forms of registration: Collector Car and Historic.

To register a car as "Historic", the car must be 25 years or older. You get "QQ" plates, which can be standard or personalized (My E-type roadster has QQ plates that say "MY69E"). Supposedly, by law, these cars can only be used for educational and display purposes or club outings. I've had Historic/QQ plates on old Jaguars for years and driven them all over, and never had a problem. You are supposed to have "collector car" insurance for them as well, but the state doesn't check as long as you have insurance. You pay one registration fee of $35, and renew it every 3 years at no cost. There is no inspection requirement at all for a historic registered vehicle, and you only need to display a rear license plate.

Collector Car registration is different. You register the car as a normal car, regardless of age, and separately apply for Collector Car designation. As noted by someone else, you are limited to driving the car 3000 miles per year, and you are supposed to have collector car insurance. You are subject to inspection for mileage only every two years, at which time the only thing they check is that your odometer is actually working and you have not exceeded the mileage limit. You get a special triangular inspection sticker that shows it is a Collector Car. I registered my '84 Mondial that way to avoid having to deal with the fact that it is a Euro spec car and may not pass emmissions tests. You can have regular plates or vanity plates (not QQ), and must have two plates, one front, one rear.

Hope that clarifies. Generally, you have to deal directly with Trenton to get Historic plates. I've gotten mine by going straight to the DMV (sorry... MVC) office in Trenton. They will issue them on the spot. Collector car designation you can do at any local MVC office, but the people who hand out the forms probably won't know what you are talking about (they will give you forms for Historic plates, which is NOT what you want). You'll probably end up talking to someone at the window to get the right form.

10. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    I went to two locations before they could find one of the triangular stickers...

11. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    I went to inspection place in Montclair...tiny place, but was very quick, and new what they were doing. I called DMV and they mailed me the form, sent it back and 2 weeks later got the special card that you give to the State inspection facility.

12. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Amazing how it varies from center to center. Was able to complete mine in three steps.

1. Wayne DMV (Rte 23) picked up Collector Application.

2. Renewed registration in Oakland DMV, they handed me the special waiver card along with new registration.

3. Ridgewood Inspection Station... supervisor only one who recognized the waiver card, looked @ my OD, asked me to drive around the block to verify the OD was working, he then allowed me to install the triangle, and I was on my way!

Basically this allows me to skip the safety and emissions tests, and also puzzles my friends as to why my sticker is different :D

13. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    I went to Lodi on one of the hottest days of this summer; the "inspector" reluctantly found a sticker, had me drive around in the parking lot so he could see 1/10 of a mile tick off, barely looked at my insurance card, and I was done.

14. BlackRX7Turbo

BlackRX7Turbo Karting

Sep 18, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Cool... I understand if you get collector car insurance, they also limit you to 3000 miles and the car must be garaged someplace that only you can open (i.e. locked, and it's not a shared location).

I wonder if I could keep myself to 3000 miles/year or less....

15. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    It's more than that. No driving to work, no driving to the store, etc. It's supposed to cover cars that are brought out once in a while to go to a show or a cruise-in, etc.

Obviously, you could drive it any way you like but you're driving without insurance if you do. The insurance company might look the other way for something minor but you might as well have no insurance if you're involved in a serious accident.

I have full, drive it anywhere, anytime insurance and registration for my Factory Five Cobra. I want no exclusions and it's not worth the risk to game the system IMHO.

16. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    I'm looking into collector car registration for my cars, though not too urgently, my '65 330 passed the full NJ inspection first time through!

From what I understand, collector car insurance is similar in price (less that half the cost of my current Ferrari policy) to antique/classic insurance except you can use it however you like as long as it accumulates less than 3k miles in a year. So far I've only contacted State Farm though and I'm not sure how accurate the info is.

Regards,

Art S.

17. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

mfennell is correct, and while everyone's needs may be different, it suits me just fine.

Art, my collector car insurance is thru American Collectors based in Cherry Hill. Never needed to file a claim, but so far my dealings have been painless and professional. I can look up their # at your asking.

18. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Greg,

If you could get me the number, I'd really appreciate it! By the way, does anyone know if Hagerty or any of the other special interest insurance companys provide insurance in NJ?

Regards,

Art S.

19. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

20. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I bought a 66 330 GT in Vermont. I have already purchased the car, but am having the engine rebuilt and A/C installed before I take delivery of it, so I won't actually have the car in NJ for at least a couple months. I would like to insure and register the car now, but I think that will be difficult since the car is in a different state. Also Vermont is a "no title" state, so will the lack of a title make it difficult to register in NJ. I will likely use collector car insurance.
    Any advice on how to get insurance and registration done before the car is in the state?

Also, with regard to license Collector or Historic licence plates, do the Historic plates look different? I see several references to "QQ" plates -- does this mean they look like regular modern plates but have QQ in the number, or do they actually look like vintage plates? In Florida, you can find old 1966 plates and register a 1966 car with those -- I would like to do the same, but I don't know if this is what is meant by historic in NJ.

PS: I debated whether or not to start a new thread for this -- but there is so much useful and related information in this thread already that I thought it was better to add on to this one.