Nissan withdraws from WEC | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Nissan withdraws from WEC

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by william, Dec 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    This always looked like they knew they didn´t have the budget to fight with the big boys with a "normal" car so they tried something different: "if it works, we´ll catch the others off guard and if it doesnt, we´ll use it to do some PR stuff (innovative, etc) and then leave quietly before it gets too much embarrassing. It seems that it didn´t work.

2. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    I believe the GT Academy guys were caught up in the blood-letting also.
    Class move firing everyone via email 3 days before Christmas.

3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Some other sports cars of note suffered serious "debut issues" going back to the IMSA
    GTP days.

The first that comes to mind was the BMW/March/McLaren GTP from 1986. There had been
    rumors of issues with these cars (mostly engine meltdowns and catching fire in testing) which
    were driven by some top drivers of the time including Davy Jones, John Andretti, John Watson,
    David Hobbs and Bobby Rahal.

At Sebring during the first open practice session, one of the BMW GTPs with Rahal driving reportedly
    had a body work issue, the engine bonnet evidently came unlatched, the car took air and rolled
    several times in the (then very high speed) section between Turn One and Turn Two. Rahal was
    lucky to emerge unscathed but what little was left of the car returned to the paddock on a flat bed,
    the only thing intact was the tub. I got images of what was left of the chassis tucked away somewhere.
    The second entry was scrapped for Sebring but BMW kept the project going to the end of 1986 and
    then withdrew.

The second example was the Mazda RX792P which had rolled out to great anticipation in 1992. Like
    the Le Mans-winning Mazda 787-B, the new GTP car featured a quad-rotor engine
    that produced a sound like no other and experienced drivers Price Cobb and Pete Halsmer.

Mazda had great success making the rotary engine a winner, at one point the Mazda rotary held the
    record for IMSA race wins (GTU). But, these RX792Ps would be a different matter. Mazda skipped the
    24 Hours of Daytona in favor of debuting the cars at the Miami Grand Prix and almost immediately one
    (or both) caught fire in practice.

They tried it again at Sebring and the same result, the cars caught fire in practice. There just seemed to
    not be a way for Mazda to properly vent the intense heat that the quad-rotor engine was producing, the
    exhausts would light the body work on fire and the cars just couldn't seem to get through a session
    without some calamity.

Mazda got some of their issues sorted through the season but they then withdrew the cars
    after the first season. They make regular appearances at the Monterey Historics these days
    but for Mazda, these cars were a huge disappointment and never performed up to expectations.

BHW

4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I remember that Mazda GTP. Loud as hell, in a good way. Sounded like an F1 car with 4 rotors. I think it was over 5 seconds off the pace at Road America that year(the year of the XJR14). The Toyota's were blowing engines in practice, but also the 1991 FIA Fabi Group C winning chassis broke an upright and flipped several times in the carausel and was a DNS. They did have a spare car at the facility south of Chicago but decided not to use it. What I remember most about that 1992 IMSA season was them letting Toyota get away with using elegal ELF fuel almost the whole season. That was the main reason Jaguar pulled the plug and left IMSA, favoritist and bull****!!!

5. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    This nismo thing was disaster from start.

Only way to get interest in endurance racing again is to allow street supercars to compete. Until then, i could care less

6. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I have mixed feelings about the whole Nismo LMP program. On one hand I respect the innovative approach of the whole project. Even if it is a total failure on the surface, ideas do emerge from these radical programs that can help steer the future. Even the most cutting edge racing designers tend to fall into paths of thinking and it often takes some real rebels to shake things up and bring new progress. Will this be the case with the Nismo LMP? Only time will tell.

On the other hand I think that the Nismo PR people did themselves no favors by massively over stating their position and potential to be competitive. This is a double edge sword because it is near impossible to get the funding needed when you go in painting yourself as a loser so you roll the dice and hope that you can 'fake it till you make it'

What I do think is unfair is to totally dismiss the project with little more than a cursory understanding of what took place. As shown in this thread the now legendary GT40 program was a dangerous joke in the beginning and went on to become racing folklore of the highest calibre.

Racing requires a huge balance of factors to go correctly in order to be successful and it appears as though the Nismo project was never granted the time or the finances to realize its potential.

7. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    It is shameful.

And its typical of Nissan Racing. In my experience they don't treat people well.

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Anybody that designed the Delta-wing and thought it was going to work has no place in any design team IMO ... why did Nissan keep giving him a budget?
    Pete

9. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    You don't follow US racing much, do you?

I'm no champion of the DW, but it's not a stillborn project here. It goes reasonably well.

10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I guess it would go better if more research and development money was spent on that DW concept. I think Nissan paid lip service to it, and now in new hands, the project lacks funding.
    Like any new concept, the DW would need time to prove itself.

The Nissan GT-R Nismo project being abandoned at the first sign of failure is a sure indication that big corporations don't like to advertise failure. Sometimes, it's better for them not to be involved openly, but to support a small outfit to develop an idea; a bit like GM did with Jim Hall and his Chaparral project.

11. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    has there ever been a fwd race car that successfully competed against rwd? what were they thinking?

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #37 william, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
    Nope, but the LMP1 are mostly FOUR WHEEL DRIVE, I understand. Only the Porsche is fully RWD, if I remember correctly.

The AUDI and Toyota are RWD with their ICE, and FWD with their electric motors.

The Nissan proposed to be the other way round: FWD with the ICE and RWD with the ERS. That configuration was adopted to have more room at the back to channel the air through the car and have a larger diffuser.

It's true that a FWD racing car is at a disadvantage compared to a RWD, not so much at speed, but under acceleration where the lass transfer load the rear axle. Le Mans is mostly a series of straights, with low speed corners. In theory, it favours a car with good accelaration.

13. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Btcc, many

14. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    919 is awd as well

Nissan was supposed to be awd too but the rear wheels e-engines didn't quite work

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

That is playing with words.

The BTCC cars are saloon cars racing in a championship.

They are derived from ordinary road cars and are not purpose built racing cars.

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I am glad you put me right about the Porsche; I wasn't sure.

Yes, the Nissan was condemned before it was able to run propely and the gremlins eliminated.

It's pity; I like variety in racing, and that was certainly different !

17. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Which car in btcc is fwd?

18. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Most of them

19. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    really? that's surprising

front wheel drive is usually in economy cars so which wins btcc, Toyota camry?

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Honda Civic
    Volkswagen Passat CC
    MG6
    Ford Focus
    Toyota Camry
    Mercedes A
    are all FWD in BTCC

only the BMW 318 and the Audi 4 are rwd

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Honda, BMW and MG have won championships, but Ford, Mercedes also won some races.

BTCC is based on road going cars.

22. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    FWD with small engines.

23. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    ok, thanks
    I got it now. I was confusing it with the Australian series that's all high hp and rwd

24. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    In rally and rallycross fwd are also just as fast as rwd

25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Hummm, not so sure about that!

Most WRC cars are AWD, as far as I know.