Nice sighting... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Nice sighting...

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by TTR, Oct 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    My favorite plane of all times..

I have at least 500 flights in a multitude of DC-3, C-47’s and a few other variants of that airframe, including a DC-2, all what could be called scheduled flights.

Took what could be called my honeymoon flight with my first wife in one.
    I have flown in many multi-plane formations.
    Been in a terrible stall, super scary.
    Experienced 3 engine failures, (all on the left side, go figure)
    On one flight we clipped a tree with the right wingtip at the end of a very short soft airfield, there were 30 on board with a LOT of heavy luggage and a small dog, duh! that was dumb, about crapped my pants.

My friend was given one as a gift a few years ago, and she got rated in it but does not fly it much, it can be seen in the newer Pearl Harbor movie, among others.

I want my funeral flight to be in one!

tritone, Bob Parks and donv like this.
  2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    My late friend, Don Orcutt, leaving Operation "Market Garden" after the first of four sorties there. Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    tritone likes this.
  4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    After Don's 4th sortie his airplane was grounded because of leaking fuel from ground fire and flak. He did the same thing on D-Day and Bastogne. These transport guys were unsung heroes. Never dumb.

tritone and donv like this.
  5. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    You are fortunate to know someone and hear the stories first-hand, sadly and very soon, all those guys will be gone. We need to remind younger folks about why and what these guys did for us all.

6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Don told me that their orders after their drop over Arnhem was to make a turn to the left and depart. He said that on the approach they saw what appeared to be dark clouds ahead, something the WX guys had not predicted. As they got closer they could see that it was not clouds but heavy flak. After his drop he elected to make a diving turn to his right to get over the country side instead of the city. He continued his turn at ground level and encountered an 88 mm flak gun staring him in the face . They fired but missed and he said that he could see that the gun crew had been taken by surprise because some of them were still in their underwear. He flew right over them on his way to escape. He flew at 200-300 feet all the way to the coast. He went back three more times dropping parapacks, equipment, and supplies to support the personnel dropped on the first run. His airplane was grounded after his 4th return. He had photos(snapshots) that he took on his first run in that showed the dark cloud of flak.

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Another recall. He towed Waco gliders to France on D-Day and over the English Channel the nose pulled off a glider and they watched as it stalled then pitched down to spill the the contents out, troops and a Jeep.

8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
  9. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    I’d be fine with the Beech 18 too.....

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    TTR likes this.
  11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- The bare aluminum ones were shiny, but you are correct that the camoed ones were flat paint.