Nice ride, so this may cause considerable offence... Stanceworks 308 GTBi (Honda K24 Swap) | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Nice ride, so this may cause considerable offence... Stanceworks 308 GTBi (Honda K24 Swap)

Discussion in '308/328' started by JC Andruet, Jan 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It doesn't, just curious is all. As the first 308 came out in 1976 all of us California owners know how just missing a smog pump or an EGR valve can make things incredibly difficult.

2. JasonS

JasonS Karting

Sep 5, 2019
    Green, OH
    Full Name:
    Jason Stropki
    All of this talk about the weight of cars makes me laugh just a bit....you're going to think they are all big fat pigs compared to the aviation world. My 2 seat Pitts Special S-2B with 1 gallon gas and 10 quarts of oil weighs 1207 pounds on certified aviation scales. :D:D:D:)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

steved033, derekw and Ferraripilot like this.
  3. M.Burroughs

M.Burroughs Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    Now we're talking. That's incredible, I can't believe it.

4. JohnInItaly

JohnInItaly Karting

Feb 5, 2019
    California
    Full Name:
    John McCoy
    The original engine went on Bring A Trailer today.

5. Doogie

Doogie Rookie

Nov 19, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Douglas Menkhaus
    I just saw that it's at $1000 so far. I would be more than happy to grab that and store it in case I ever needed it! :) I'm a purist. To each his own, but If he's throwing away a good engine, I'll salvage it to keep another 308 on the road. :) Doogie

6. Mike Burroughs

Jul 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Michael Burroughs
    That’s the whole idea.
    Feel free to bid, bud!

7. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    love it! I flew in a Pitts S2B some years ago and it was terrifying but hilarious fun

JasonS likes this.
  8. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
  9. Mike Burroughs

Jul 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Michael Burroughs
    I have a complete tilton box I can put in. I want to do some more planning though, as I want to retrofit ABS to the car, and need to research what is going to work best with that from a booster perspective. I’m not sure whether I want/need a brake booster yet.

10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    The 308 range of cars was built at Ferrari using early 70's late 60's tech. Ferrari then and Ferrari now are not even close. Mr. Ferrari sold 50% to Fiat in 1968 but that does not mean that he gave up control or allowed Fiat to run the factory. He slowly allowed more Fiat investment to be made, but really did not allow them to make a material change to the property ( which he still fully owned till 1978. ) which accounts for the old-fashioned production methods. There was barely a mechanized line by 1985... and in the early 80's they still used skylights and round lights hung from the ceiling for lighting... it was a dark, and very cold place to work.... I bring that up as that was what they were facing - and also had to meet increasing safety guidelines ...which meant more steel for protection etc... if you look at the 206 Dino that is an old lightweight Ferrari ... but even then 246 and Daytona's were all gaining weight as safety measures came into play. a 275gtb... is light and VERY unsafe ... and still not that fast by today's standards.

buying a 308 today means you are buying an older car, and any expectation to compare it to even car made in the 90's is like comparing an apple to a wrench.

By 1980 Mr. Ferrari had sold off the land to Fiat - which is why the racing team moved to Foriano.... and Fiat was able to make major investment... but still kept making the 308's and BB's the old fashioned way... the 328 saw some improvements not much weight taken out, but that was the result of a more modern factory ... and better build quality.

11. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    your numbers are accurate. the early injected cars were seriously down on power... and US spec carbed cars were about 230bhp.. vs. Euro at 255.... the Euro cars were slightly lighter by 150 lbs - bumpers and door protection etc... fiberglass cars were even lighter still...

the reality is in terms of lightness - that has never been Ferrari's mantra. even in racing, their cars were usually heavier... 12 cyl, fuel etc... but Ferrari's also had a reputation for being solid - well-built cars... ( reputation back then considering they were literally hand made ) even this 308 was largely hand made - hand formed... with only body pannels being pressed ... no doubt a lighter 308 can be faster ... there are some race cars out there that are.. .but usually the secret is more power ...

I'm with you on the handling of stock 308's .. they are not great... fun yes, a little scary at times... and they can be made to be very quick... but they are always a handful. having driven all the major exotic cars of the 80's Ferrari's are the ones that always feel better made and safer. drive a lotus of the same age... it feels paper thin and dangerous... no wonder they handle so well! Porsches are in between. they are sold but let down by bland interiors and lots of rattles

Ferraripilot likes this.
  12. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    As a previous owner of numerous aircooled and watercooled 911's, I can say, hand on heart, none had rattles, and whilst the interior trim may have been bland and lacking the "luxury" look to be found within the cabin of a Ferrari, they were durable and pretty much bomb-proof.

As to the overall build quality, there was no comparison, Ferrari only attained Porsche like build quality with the 458, whilst Porsche's build quality started to deteriorate from the second (1993 ?) the Japanese started to advise Stuttgart on how to build cars in a cost effective, profitable manner...

13. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    There are pictures, I think in the Fioravanti book, of the prototype 308 GTB back around 1969 or 1970 that show the badge indent in the nose positioned in a landscape rather than a portrait orientation which indicates that it was originally intended to be branded a Dino, because it really was a rebodied 246 with a V8. But Pininfarina had trouble with the quality of the fiberglass and the release kept getting delayed. Ferrari apparently had a tiff about it, went to Bertone and the GT4 was born. Maybe the market misunderstood and wrongly thought that the GT4 was the replacement for the 246 but regardless it bombed and caused Ferrari to completely abandon the Dino brand. If that hadn't happened the 308 GTB most likely would have never been a Ferrari, it would have been a Dino and possibly every V8 Ferrari since may have been a Dino and the brand might still exist today.

We'll never know...

bjwhite likes this.
  14. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Our experiences are different. I have a 997 now so clearly love Porsche .. and have had 356- all the way to 997 and think there is a new one coming this fall...I did not mean to demean Porsche - but by the 80's Porsche were mass produced compared to Ferrari. they still were making less than 4K cars by the mid 90's compared to 100, thousand + by Porsche.

15. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Hey, we have two M Burroughs here! :confused:

miketuason likes this.
  16. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Gordon, I sent you PM

17. Mike Burroughs

Jul 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Michael Burroughs
    Whoops. I must have two accounts unbeknownst to me. One logged in at home, and another logged in on the shop computer. Apologies to any admins - Feel free to delete this account.

18. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Looks like this project has been done before.

19. Mike Burroughs

Jul 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Michael Burroughs
    To a degree, it certainly has.

20. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    Previously linked to in post 121 on page 5 of this thread Mike :)

21. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Oh yes, my bad

22. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
  23. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    What are you doing with the 308 seats? I’d love some new office chairs

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

24. M.Burroughs

M.Burroughs Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    I'm happy with what the engine brought, and I'm glad its going to a good home, another 308 in need.

The entire interior from my car is available.

25. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I watched a few more of your videos this evening. Very nicely done.

From those of us who love 308s, thank you for saying the occasional kind word about what you like about the car. On that matter, I watched your first 308 video where you are driving the car in stock format. Sounds like you really wanted a 308 for a long time. Nice.

I look forward to your next set of videos.

(As a personal side note, our TV when kafooie late last year and we bought one of them thar new fangled "smart" TVs. Its pretty cool watching your YouTube videos in 65 inch Ultra HD HDR.)