nice engine? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

nice engine?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by bigodino, Mar 11, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    If not mistaken, I believe this "yellow" compound or coating is to imhibit corrosion--most notably seen on vacumn servo(brake), hydraulic steering tank, vacumn valves, and a host of fittings. My injection lines had a chalky appearence to them when I purchased my 400igt, and upon applying a metal cleaning compound to them, it not only began to brighten the appearance of them , it was also removing the gold finish!! On that road of 'no return", I reluctantly continued on, followed up with wax, and I have to say the chrome appearance looks great!

2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Possible fire risk. If you've ever observed the intake throats when the engine is running, there is a mist of fuel/air outside the carb throat. With small open style air cleaners it is possible for a backfire to set one on fire (I've seen it happen with foam elements). Stock air cleaners are designed to minimize this risk.

Don't want to rain on your parade, I personally like the K&N's. It's just a risk to be prepared for. Keep an extinguisher in the car, within easy reach.

3. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    the fact that the headers are "clearly under the motor" and drop quickly under the car does not prevent an unbelievable amount of heat from rising up toward the carbs. i like the K+N set up but i would think the original set up was designed to bring cooler , more even temperature air from the front of the car.

does anyone know of any used, crappy 400 airboxes for sale ? i would like to modify a set to accept a round/cone K+N filter at the front but i don't want to butcher my originals in the the process.

brett

4. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    If everyone is going to get into such a snit about exactly how these engines left the factory - am I wrong in observing that the word Ferrari on the sides of the engine should also be covered in the same black wrinkle finish paint (and that those showing alloy were sanded/polished off later?)

5. ghybrid

ghybrid Rookie

Feb 11, 2007
    Just attend a vintage race as soon as you can and round up some of the older V- 12 Ferraris and enjoy the intake melody that is spritely followed with the sonorous shrieking music exiting the tailpipes. If you get close enough you can practically hear the soul of the engine like the depth of a singers lungs supplying the air while she is hitting a powerful note. I attend the Vintage events at Laguna Seca and Infineon each year since I live in northern California and trust me its sweet music. As far as performance goes the K&N filter applications I've had great success with on my cars in terms of sound, costs, mileage, and power increase. As for artistic purposes I think the photo is a good start in bringing some definition to a very busy engine bay. In my opinion I like the red crinkle finish on the valve covers. Though the crome plates that secure the K&N filters should be painted in the Crinkled Flat or semigloss black finish. This would fit more with the traditional Ferrari decor and just add more contrast against the Webber carbs and Red Valve covers. When I first open the bonnett on these cars I feel its a little muddy or information overload. By introducing color in a tastefull manner to distinquish the functions of the Engine bay the engine with get the visual appreciation that should match its audio and viceral delights. Ferrari seemed to skip this artistic license with the 365/400/412 line but if you look at their treatment to several other models and you guys know them ( 355, 250 GTO, 308, 512m 360 etc) they are more exciting to look at. You can see the soul of the car in them. This is not the law, it is only my opinion. Take care and I''m enjoying this forum truly.

Gregory

dedo tanzi likes this.