nice engine? | FerrariChat

nice engine?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by bigodino, Mar 11, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    #1 bigodino, Mar 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I saw this picture of a 400 engine and was wondering what was changed from the standard 400 engine? What do you think of it?

Best regards, Peter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yikes!

She didn't leave the factory like that

3. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Either way it looks awesome :D

4. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    would look better if it wasnt blurry...my eyes hurt, but it looks great !

5. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Well, the valve covers should be black, nothing red should be in there. Also the K&N filters are not stock.

6. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    The engine compartment is the cleanest 400 compartment I've seen in the 12 years that I,ve owned mine..although it may not be as it left the factory.."right" is what the owner says it is..Some of the pictures of engines around this site should cringe with envy..there seems to be an elitist attitude on the "400" site..self appointed "Correctness Police" should clean up their own engines before whining about lovely work done on an engine..thank you all so very much...

dedo tanzi likes this.
  7. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    Very nice, I like the way you did the "Red Head" (Testa Rossa) deal. I have the 365GTC4 version and plan on doing the same thing to it, looks so-o-o-o much better.

8. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #8 dstacy, Mar 12, 2007
  9. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    sheesh! I don't think anyone was "whining".

But regardless I think a lot of guys post pictures here for one reason; there are so few of these cars that sometimes it is very hard to tell what is factory correct and what has been modified.
    I, for one, love the way guys have picked apart pictures I've posted here in this section. It has really helped me when considering the purchase of a car, and to know what things have to be added to my "to do" list.

The way I read your post it had a very negative tone to it. Perhaps I read more into it than you intended.

Not being factory correct doesn't mean "bad" all the time; it just means not as it left the factory.

I respect your opinion, and am grateful we all have a forum like this to talk about these wonderful works of art and express our views. Take a deep breath Jaques and have another cup of coffee. :)

10. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    +1

11. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    +2

He asked what was changed on it and I told him. What's the problem?

12. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    #12 koisokok, Mar 12, 2007
    how about this one dave?? not bad huh??/

13. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Not bad at all.
    Yeah, that one is really nice too.
    That belong to you?

If it is yours, you've done a bunch of work. Looks like you've cleaned and painted the oil trap caniser between the cylinders. That is the first thing that seems to look rough on these motors. Those stainless braided hoses look nice. Why braided stainless and not the braided rubber ones? Cost? They are priced WAY more than they should be.
    No gunk on the alternator. Even the oil cap shines.
    Good job.

Why do you think the fuel injection lines always seem to "yellow" on these cars? I don't know the answer, but it must have something to do with the metal compound.

14. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    yah its mine..you problably remember back in december its the black one i bought off ebay..love it!! the dmv sent my paperwork up to sacramento for approval but everything went ok..fun to drive and gets attention all the time.when i was a kid it was the first time i saw a 400 and wilt chamberlin was getting out of it at the market nearby were i grew up. ever since then i wanted it..

15. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Yikes lol.

16. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    By the sounds of it, if one was to take a classic standard car to the new ferrari "classiche" program in Maranello for restoration. On completion it to would not resemble how it originally left the factory.

17. Argento

Argento Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Argentium
    Why not ?

18. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    You need to read the classiche threads on the classic section. For example the use of different materials ect ect. Quite a controversial subject.

19. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    I could understand having a car all original if it was a collecter type car, but 400's have flat lined in value and do not seem to have a real up side and for now, price wise they make great drivers. so it would seem to me that any thing you do to keep them on the road and enhance the driving experince would be for the better? For the majority of the owners. The K&N air filters in the first photo would provide a sound to be envyed by everybody and never can be atainied by CIS cars (unforuntantly like mine).
    PS How do you do spell check?

20. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I didn't mean to cause a stir with posting the picture. I was just wondering what was changed and if it would be for the better or worse. For example is it ok to have those open air filters?

I must admit I am a bit of a racecar fan so the engine does appeal to me in that sense but on the other hand a nice detailed original engine also has its merits. To each his own but my question was more technical related and the remark about the engine sound does make me wonder how that would be like. Must sound quite nice.

Best, Peter

21. VEEP

VEEP Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2005
    Overasselt
    For a Ferrari engine I really don`t know what the effect of the open air filters is, I know that on a Alfa 4 cyl engine you have to put the car on a rolling road to adjust the carb-settings . With more air the engine will have a lean mixture in the high revs. Besides that it will cause more intake noise. Some like it, some not. This car is in Luxemburg, isn`t it? Sharp price, but taxes to pay it seems.
    Looks like a nice car to me, and the filter units will be easy to change for original (there will be some second hand airboxes available ).

22. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Peter
    To answer your specific question about the K&N's. There are some trade offs:
    - Cleanable rather than replace UFI's at intervals (Pro)
    - Probably noisier (Pro or Con, your choice)
    - Lower pressure drop is very doubtful versus UFI filters (slight Pro)
    - Warmer intake air versus plenum and stock air filter - This is the controversial item. With the 400's exhaust headers clearly under the motor the temperature difference is not as great as on many cars. The potential difference is calculable but likely small. (slight Con)
    Ken

23. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John

Hi Ken

Welcome to another 400i owner who recently joined FChat! It would be great for you to post a picture of your car and tell its story for us.

Cheers,

John

24. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    If this is the car I think I saw this car on E-Bay a couple of months back. The guy had gone through everything lot of time and money, it was a 365 GT4 2+2. The red heads and K&N's break the engine compartment up. In these series of cars the engine compartment all runs together. The K&N's at least let you see the awesome stack of carbs and make adjustments a bit easier. Would be quite a bit louder, but webbers do sound cool. For fun I may put the K&N's on and wrinkle coat the chrome. Will stick with the black cam covers though. The OE police may holler, but it's mine. I also want to put a rotary compressor and stick with the R12. I do however always keep my original parts in the event I go insane and chase the stock concours class or God forbid sell the car.
    Rick

25. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    #25 SouthJersey400i, Mar 15, 2007
    John
    Thanks for asking. I'll attach a few pics.

I bought the car in October from a person in VA, near Roanoke. He has bought and sold a few 400's and a 365 GT (or 2+2). The car has 37,000 miles. The seller only had the car for a few months after buying it in Florida on ebay. You are likely to recognize the pictures from ebay.

I don't know too much history. The importer was in NYC. The car had some small accident damage on the left side that has been nicely repaired and complete car appears to be repainted. I believe the color is Rosso Rubino with black interior.

If anyone knows the early history of the car please send me a note.

The car had a few small problems when I bought it but I am working my way through it slowly. I just put it on the road a few weeks ago; no sense paying tax and insurance with car wintering in its garage.

My intention is to use the car for long weekend trips with my wife. We tour the vineyards of the Eastern States, so the Finger Lakes and Virgina will be early target visits and probably Long Island in the fall. It will look nice in the Hamptons!

I have a racing history with smaller cars and I have completely restored a '69 Lotus Elan +2 with a Cosworth BDR motor. I will do most of the work on the Ferrari myself; I will take my time and try not to screw anything up!! I was intimidated looking under the hood for a while but I am beginning to get comfortable with working on it.
    Ken

dedo tanzi likes this.