Nice 412 At Barrett Jackson No reserve | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Nice 412 At Barrett Jackson No reserve

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Luckyluke, Jan 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    The way I see it- no. No hope. I think any of the "Black Rubber Bumper" cars are sort of doomed... That goes for any marque. When you get into the 412 with the body colored and more contoured bumper covers- maybe.

I'm just hoping the crazy strong Dino 246 money eventually trickles down to us Dino GT4 owners!

2. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Does that include the Lamborghini Muira?
    You might turn out to be right but I reckon the 412s are more expensive now as they are newer and generally in better nick but as time goes by I think the earlier carbed cars will fetch bigger money because of rarity.

3. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Well the Muira has much more integrated bumpers- I mean...911 T, E and S have rubber over riders and they are going up- Any of the "Euro" bumper cars can get away with it- the big plank of rubber for USA cars... that is going to take a while.

I do genuinely love these cars but I think they will be perpetually stuck in the "unloved" Ferrari category.

Now that does mean that when new Ferraris are averaging half a million USD we'll be talking about $50K-$80K cars... natural appreciation. But real collector value- I think that's going to be hard to find.

Drive em, enjoy em... they're not depreciating!

4. Pyrford Ranger

Pyrford Ranger Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2011
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I disagree about the 412 looking better than a 400. The fatter back end and covered exhaust looks nowhere as good as the 400. Also the flat look to the alloys isn't as nice as the deep set alloys of the 400. The colour coded bumpers can look good but it makes the car almost too modern looking for me.but i do think the black bumpers look better with darker colour bodywork.

the interior looks better finished on the 412 though and the 365 has the retro coolness similar to the older Ferraris.
    I agree they'll always be "cheap" compared to other Ferraris but at the moment they're just cheap compared to almost anything!

5. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    It's generally perceived by most that the 412 was the best looking variant of the entire series. Some of the reasons are color-coded bumpers & clear lenses, the matte black chin spoiler, & the flat faced 5 spoke wheels that brought it in line with the Tesstarossa, 328. It's my understanding that all those wheels had to be because of the ABS action behind.

I personally like the slight aggressiveness the concave wheels gave on the prior variants and I also feel the rear end appears a little heavy because of the lower quarter-panel/rear fascia (to conceal the rear silencers) & slightly raised trunk lid (to improve high speed rear-end attitude). The factory painted the Ansas so they didn't stick out like a sore thumb. If anyone replaces their exhaust with stainless, be sure to paint them black.

For those who want their 365's/400's to appear like 412's (the 412 bumpers were reportedly fiberglass/paintable), the bumpers of the previous cars are of an elastomeric material...they can be painted! I always felt the chin spoiler on earlier cars should have been matte black since they're in-line with the lower rocker panels.

6. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    #31 Ashman, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The previous owner of my 1983 400i 5 speed had the bumpers painted body color like on the 412 and I think that it looks much better, particularly on a silver car.

I also like that the rear fog lights are set inside the bumper rather than hanging below as on the 412.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    #32 rustytractor, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
    We all have our favourite looking variant of this model range - mine is the early 400i which has the series one interior but the TRX tyres as they sit much nicer than the earlier cars (which is the model I own).

Least favourite is the 412 - I know it's more modern in many ways and the interior is probably nicer but I really dislike the 412 wheels (I feel they totally change the image of the car) and feel that the colour coded bumpers and lack of coloured lenses detracts from the cars appearance.

I'm sure that, as the last incarnation of this series they drive better than all earlier models but to me any 400i with the later series two interior and black steering wheel is a no-no. This covers the 412 as well.

Don't get me wrong, I love all variants of the 365/400/400i/412 series, this is just my personal preference.

As to value - who knows? If these cars were expensive to buy I wouldn't be able to own one so I'm kind of happy that its a niche model with genuine enthusiast owners.

8. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston

Interesting point of view, youve the both!!
    'Drive and enjoy em' spot on, ime just jealous because youve got 2!!!
    Regards
    Alastair

9. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston

10. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    [QUOTE

I personally like the slight aggressiveness the concave wheels gave on the prior variants and I also feel the rear end appears a little heavy because of the lower quarter-panel/rear fascia (to conceal the rear silencers) & slightly raised trunk lid (to improve high speed rear-end attitude). The factory painted the Ansas so they didn't stick out like a sore thumb. If anyone replaces their exhaust with stainless, be sure to paint them black.[/QUOTE]

I think that the original design was as perfect a concept that could possibly have been penned and probably done with some passion. The 'improvements' to have kept it up to date were dubious and only steered by the 'trend' not the pure design of the original.

Hence in my opinion the 412 is somewhat of an afterthought of the original perfection in design terms compared to the 365 /400s although its still a very sereen and fine car in its own right.

11. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Apologies Bruce
    Re above
    Ime rubbish at trying to do the quote thing with the blue.
    Regards
    Alastair

12. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    You lost the closing ] on the opening quote command and that trashes the quote feature.

13. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    No apologies needed Alastair.
    Along with the end bracket ( ] ), be sure that "=blkprlz;142050877" is in-between, if you miss one digit, letter, "/" or end brackets...it won't highlight in blue.
    & btw..."QUOTE" does not have to be capitalized either.

Now all you have to do John is get clear lenses and you're good to go :)

14. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Thank you gentlemen
    Thats really straightforward, Ive got it now.
    Regards
    Alastair

15. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Jesus Alastair - don't you ever go to bed ???

16. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Organizing an exhibition in Monaco followed by London 2 days later! with a tall Latvian gorgeous bird in the mix calls for some sleepless nights! what to do get a cup of tea and Ferrarichat ahhh.
    Aye
    Regards
    Alastair

17. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Just replied to your PM

I love tea but hate gorgeous Latvian women !

18. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    lucky b*****d !

19. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    You can say bastard, no problem! ;)

20. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Aaahh, but that loses all the guesswork and subtlety from the comment.

Honestly, you yanks - no sense of mystery !!!

21. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    but either way he's still a lucky *astar* !!