NHL 2019-20 season | Page 7 | FerrariChat

NHL 2019-20 season

Discussion in 'Sports' started by TheMayor, Sep 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Depends on when they can resume. The NHL is optimistic they can resume in 3 weeks, in which case they will play the full 82 game schedule. If it takes longer to resume, they will go straight a playoff format that might be shorter first round.

What I would suggest, if I was able to reach Bettman, would be to keep the 7 game series and play back to back nights, with only a day off on travel to opponents' arena day (ie Monday and Tuesday would be game 1 and 2, Thursday and Friday would be game 3 and 4, Sunday game 5, Tuesday game 6, Thursday game 7). This would reduce the schedule by about 4 days, which adds up over 2 months of hockey.

2. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Also, if they cannot finish the season and have to go straight to playoff, they will use a percentage system to seed the teams (since not everyone has played the same amount of games).

From what I understand there are several contingency plans currently in place, with more being explored, to accomodate all situations. The NHL already said they are ready to play into August if they are able to resume, but not at all facilities due to heat/humidity. If a hot weather team makes it far, my guess is they will have to play their home games in a different city where the ice would meet NHL specifications.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    There was a video on NHL.com what was similar to above. The NHL is looking at several different ideas depending on "when" the emergency part of this goes away.

My guess is those who believe sports will return in a few weeks are nuts. Its going to take months.

My guess is baseball will decide to play eventually but with no fans and complete testing of their players and staffs But that could be difficult as quarantines could wipe out an entire team over night. The NHL is a bit more difficult because of the stadiums which they share with other groups or sporting events.

If I were to guess the Stanley cup will be played somehow in September after a few exhibition games and the following season will be cut short, probably starting after Thanksgiving.

IMO I would tell the players to go golfing and stay away from people for the next 3 months and we'll see you later. Let's face it -- for most the season was going to be over in a few weeks anyway. Just take an early vacation.

4. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Bob, just don't tell this to the top 2 or 4 teams who are serious contendors for Lord Stanley

5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

I mean those already out of the playoffs.

6. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I know I was kidding :)

7. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Thanks, Boys. You know, the fans in places cities like Detroit might welcome the end of the season, but for the teams that think they have a good shot at the Cup finals, it's gotta be heartbreaking. I keep thinking about all the people who are without any income. When I go to the rink, you see the flagmen directing traffic, parking lot people, ticket takers and screeners, all the vendors and ushers. Many of the food stands here in Raleigh are staffed by volunteers and benefits schools, charitable groups, etc. They are screwed.

8. NaO

NaO Karting

Apr 23, 2017
    That’s why some owners are stepping up and paying their wages during this uncertainty. Also Zion and Giannis have pledged their own money to alleviate some of the worries.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I believe they'll be taken care of on a large scale. When the various seasons resume, staff will be needed and the labor shortage will (I assume) still be an issue. Probably a lot less panful for the owners to part with some money now, than to try to replace labor later.

10. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    And let's give Brad Marchand of the Bruins credit for paying the facility staff from his own salary and starting a GoFundMe for them as well. A few players pitched in too (Paternal was one of them)

11. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    this is good to see. Canes owner doing the same and players pitching in.

12. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Calgary Flames ownership did an about-face; initially refusing to pay arena staff, but after the backlash from the public and even Flames' players they have had a change of heart and will pay.

TheMayor likes this.
  13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Vegas management has pitched in for the workers at T-mobile. Marc-Andre Fleury donated 100 grand himself.

14. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    is it just me or is the NHL gone into lock down mode on communications? I don't hear a word. I suspect season is shot.

15. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The NHL has asked the teams to look at buildings and their availability into August....I believe Bettman will do everything he can to save this season, if they can get back on the by June, the season can and should be completed in full.

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  17. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    watched the 3rd period of the 2006 Cup Finals while on the treadmill today. Like watching a different sport than what we see today...playoff hockey included. Gave me an excuse to say hello to the regular posters on here. Hope you are all safe and healthy, Keith

18. JayO

JayO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Our local sports station in New England has been replaying the Bruins 2011 playoff run. Tonight is game 7 vs. Tampa in the conference final. Not one penalty called in the entire game and 0-0 until the Bruins scored with less than eight minutes left in the 3rd. Quite possibly the best hockey games I’ve ever seen.

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  19. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Jay. There was an even GREATER 1-0 Stanley Cup Final game. Game 6, May 19, 1974, Flyers 1 Broons 0. Parent had 30 saves and won the Conn Smythe. Game winner by the late Ricky MacLeish.

20. JayO

JayO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I’m going to agree to disagree. :)

21. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hockey in the 80s and 90s was definitely different. The 1987 Stanley Cup final between Philly and Edmonton was one of the best series I've seen. So were those Detroit-Colorado playoff series (although not Stanley Cup).

22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  23. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Jay - NHL From the Vault last week had the 1974 game 6 final. I had forgotten Art Skov called a really dicey penalty on Bobby Orr (against Bobby Clarke) with about 2:30 to go in a 1-0 game. Orr must have skated 50 minutes in that game. Orr had 90 assists that year regular season to lead the league, and the top four point-getters were ALL Bruins (Esposito, Cashman, Hodge, and Captain Johnny Bucyk). By today's standards, interference could have been called three times every shift. And where have you gone, Cowboy Bill Flett?

24. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/goldenknights/nhl-reaches-crucial-juncture-in-quest-to-resume-season-2030654/

The NHL has reached a crucial juncture in its quest to resume the season this summer.

The league’s Board of Governors was scheduled to meet Monday, and there is guarded optimism the NHL and NHL Players’ Association could announce a return-to-play plan before the end of this week.

Bettman also said the NHL has looked at several options for a restart.

Most indications point to the league focusing on a 24- or 20-team format that will be held in four hub cities based closely on divisions. Las Vegas remains under consideration to host, along with Edmonton, Alberta, Dallas, Toronto, the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota) and Vancouver, British Columbia, according to TSN.

The latest model under examination according to reports from ESPN and other media outlets features the top 12 teams from the two conferences based on points percentage.

The twist is that rather than jumping straight into the postseason tournament, there would be a six-team, round-robin held at each of the hub cities to help determine playoff seeding. According to The Athletic, the top two finishers in each division hub would receive a bye, while the No. 3 seed plays No. 6 and the fourth seed faces No. 5.

That plan would meet the players’ desire to get a few games under their belts before scratching and clawing for the Stanley Cup while partially satisfying TV rights holders and sponsors.
    A 20-team tournament, with 10 teams per conference, is another alternative being bandied about. The Athletic reported that format would have the top three teams in each hub at the end of round-robin play receiving a bye and the fourth- and fifth-place teams battling to advance to the 16-team playoff field.

Once a return-to-play proposal is presented, the NHLPA’s executive board consisting of the 31 player representatives, one from each team, would need to decide whether to take a full vote.

Bettman indicated during his virtual chat that nearly 20 percent of players are outside North America. The border between the United States and Canada is closed to nonessential travel through Thursday, though that could be extended.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said this month that players would need to follow quarantine protocols if they arrive in Canada while the border is closed.