NFL 2020 | Page 23 | FerrariChat

NFL 2020

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Whisky, Jan 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Cosell to me always seemed to be out of his realm with football. His forte was always boxing, and of course his relationship with Muhammad Ali was legendary. His op-ed pieces on sports, any sports, were also very thought-provoking.

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    TexasF355F1 likes this.
  3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That stadium looks pretty sweet.

Is that the practice field?

4. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    That is the turf which is kept outdoor until game day. Then it rolls inside.

The Rebels will play on Saturdays on artificial turf. They remove the artificial turf and roll in the real stuff for the Raiders.

Its an amazing stadium -- 2 Billion dollars worth. $700 Million from taxpayers but its really a tax on visitors at 0.08% of their hotel bill. The rest of the money is from the Raiders (something like 700 Million -- most of it from PSA sales and stadium licensing) and a loan the Raiders made with the B of A.

The stadium (after all this CV 19 crap) was booked already for 45 events a year beyond playing football. They can convert it to a music venue by just removing the floor.

There was talk that the NCAA final four could also play there.

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Nice.
    Mayor - does the monorail go that far south on The Strip?
    T

6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well..... it was supposed to but it does not. The monorail is a private company. Its been losing money for years. They asked the Governor for a guaranteed loan or bond but he refused. So the answer is it won't but someday it might. They are expanding it a little to have a stop at the new MSG Sphere behind the Venetian. That's scheduled to be finished next year.

The real problem is that the Monorail would be really ineffective to take people there and other places because it can't handle the traffic, even by adding more cars to the train.

I think the plan is that there will be a series of shuttle buses that go from the stadium to the various hotels to get people back partying after the game as quickly as possible.

There will be car parking but not enough for everyone in the stadium. So there will be shuttles to some other parking lots as well and probably shuttle buses for locals (the Golden Knights have 2 locations where locals can get a free shuttle). Also, the new High Speed Virgin train terminal will be built I think in 2022 that is pretty close to walking distance to the stadium. The idea is that if you take the train from Victorville in the morning you can jump back on the train back to LA-ish area after the game.

7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #557 TheMayor, May 13, 2020
    Last edited: May 13, 2020
    This is the Raiders practice facility, also brand new and built in Henderson. Paid for by the Raiders. Its also their new business headquarters but I think the city of Henderson gave them the land for free. Its right next to the Henderson airport so people can fly in and out easily by private planes

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

greg328, TexasF355F1 and tomc like this.
  8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thanks. Great info. So, do you think there's any chance the Rams or Chargers will be more popular in LA than the Raiders?!?
    T

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Baltimore and Seattle are two other NFL cities where train stations adjacent to the stadium allow out-of-town fans to commute to games by train. Amtrak has one train out of Portland that is perfectly timed to arrive at King Street Station in Seattle about an hour before the game, and another train to make the return trip in the late afternoon (though that could be screwed up if a game goes into overtime!).

TheMayor likes this.
  10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I heard that 60% of the PSL's were sold OUT of state, with most of those in CA. The Raiders are very popular in LA but also San Diego and of course the Bay area.

Also yesterday the online resellers say Raiders tickets are at the top of their sales, which means a lot of people want to go who don't have season tickets.

tomc likes this.
  11. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm wondering how stable that turf can be. When you say "roll", is that like the rolls in the photo or is the grass on a platform that slides into the stadium?

12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Actually Arizona already has a similar system. Its like a giant drawer that slides in and out of the building to be in natural light so it can grow then move inside on game day.

The difference between this stadium and Arizona is that Arizona's stadium has no seats on the side of the field that the floor rolls in and out of. Raider stadium has seats all around.

Nospinzone likes this.
  13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Legend is there was a bar in Alabama that would have a weekly raffle. The winner got to shoot a tv when Cosell came on.

I’ll never forget the Oilers v Dolphins game with Luv Ya Blue and Earl Campbell.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

tomc likes this.
  14. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    TF: I may be wrong, but I think that was the world famous FloraBama lounge on the border (Orange Beach). A certain popular singer used to hang out there. The Florida Panhandle had more than a few of these small beach dives. on Pensacola Beach, it was The Sandshaker. I think there were 8 stools inside, picnic tables outside, everybody stood for the most part. Local advice: If you got a seat at the 'Shaker, you've been there way too long.

Texas Forever likes this.
  15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The Raiders will officially open Allegiant Stadium with a preseason game Aug. 27 against the Arizona Cardinals, the team announced Thursday. Their other home preseason game will be Sept. 3 against the Los Angeles Rams.

Will we have live fans????? Maybe in masks?

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So I have a question.

What would be the problem if everyone who came to a football game got as they entered:

A bottle of hand sanitizer
    A mask
    A pair of rubber gloves
    A temperature check
    And a warning brochure about how to stay healthy
    While (unfortunately) banning anyone over the age of 70.

Why is this so difficult?

greg328 likes this.
  17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    The answer might get us into P&R territory! However, I'm fine with that. For me, the risk isn't worth it, but if other people deem it to be an acceptable risk, and we're not in a situation like 6 weeks ago where the pandemic curve is spiking, I say go for it...T

18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I don't thnk its P and R. Its about being safe in public. If you did this everyone would be safer than going to Costco.

I don't understand why major sports don't put up their own proposals with their own doctors and research.

If people don't want to or don't feel safe -- don't go.

tomc likes this.
  19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    In Oakland, a lot of Raiders fans wore masks anyway! :D

TheMayor likes this.
  20. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Like EVERY team in LA - it depends on who is winning.
    Just look at UCLA, USC, Rams, Chargers, Clippers, Lakers: you win, you 'fill' the place.
    You don't win, well.....

Or those of us looking for a GOOD reason to visit Vegas, but don't really gamble much...

Same with Chargers fans in LA....

21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I can picture a caravan of tour buses leaving Oakland at about 3:30 AM on every Raider home Sunday for the 9-hour ride to Vegas, via Bakersfield and Barstow.....

22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I would have figured that caravan leaving from the LA Basin. At any rate, if the Raiders can turn the corner & return to their glory days, being in Vegas, that should be the ultimate NFL party. Will be fun to see how it plays out...T

23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I'll agree with most of that, although I can't see Chargers being a hot ticket unless they win the whole enchilada...T

24. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Right. They also had no shortage of clowns wearing make-up who thought they were badass.