Next Gen Xbox Reveal TODAY | FerrariChat

Next Gen Xbox Reveal TODAY

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Str8shooter, May 21, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    MS will reveal details on the next gen xbox today at 1:00 pm EST under a tent at the MS campus :)

You can watch it live on SPIKE TV or streaming on xbox live.

Today they will talk mostly about the console and save the game reveals for E3 in a few weeks.

I think the current xbox 360 launched in 2005 so lets hope they've made a huge jump from then. Forza 5 could be an incredible game if they made advancements in the technology and not just added apps :D.

One thing that concerns me is I've heard rumors that the new xbox will try and become your " all in one box " and they will force you to route your cable box through the xbox. The xbox then becomes your TV tuner and anytime you want to watch TV you'll have to search and change channels through the xbox.

I don't like that because I don't want the extra wear and tear on the xbox having it on ALL the time. When I'm watching TV now, my xbox is off. My Blu Ray player is off until I watch a movie and so on.

The other thing that concerns me if this is true is that means everything you watch on your TV will pass through the xbox and MS will probably know what you watch. I'm sure that data will be recorded and processed and then ads and stuff will be targeted to you and whatever else they want to do with the info they mined from you.

Apple saves every inquiry you make to Siri to a data base.
    Google saves every search you make to a data base.
    Now MS will save everything you watch on TV to a data base.

What ever happened to what you do in the privacy in your home is your business :(

OK rant over.

Let's hope they knock it out of the park today!

2. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Xbox One :)

Looks good.

3. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hopefully its a lot better made than the 360.

4. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    They just showed a teaser of Forza 5 with a P1 racing an F1 on a street in a city :D

Xbox One looks good so far!

5. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    #5 nthfinity, May 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I like:
    The look of it.
    The fact that it has a BluRay player. (big plus for me. I have a lot of BluRays)
    That the controller is the same.
    Forza 5 with the McLaren P1 (and hopefully LaFerrari)

I don't like:
    The Kinect / motion sensor / voice activated stuff (I have no interest in that at all)
    That it won't play old 360 Games
    Rumors that XBox Live mandatory?

I'm interested to learn more about how the TV tuner works. Can I dump my cable TV?

7. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    Disappointed about the lack of backwards compatibility, but that's to be expected with new architecture and processor. My kids love the Kinect games, and I like how it gives them exercise, the Kinect doesn't always work great though so I hope this one is better.

Forza 5 and COD Ghosts are looking good, nice visuals.

8. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My biggest problem with it and it's one that may push me not to buy out of principle, but it seems as though they are shutting down used games. From what I'm reading it looks to be that every physical game will be tied to a singular gamertag, if you want to play that game disk on another console you must pay M$ a fee in order to do so. It really sounds like something that should be illegal (doubt it is) and it's really not something that will affect me, but the idea that a company is going to do something like this really makes me angry.

9. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Heck, I'm surprised they didn't just give it a jumbo hard drive and go to downloadable games only. (No optical disks)

10. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    They are, sort of. You buy a game and then all games are downloaded to the HDD and then you no longer need the disk, that's how they're justifying the used game tax.

11. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Well, I don't game much, so its hard weather or not I'll take the plunge.

I bought two games last year, and two the previous year.

if I do, I wont get one until they have a green box to match my gen 1 green and gen 2 green halo boxes lol

I also hope they join the 20th century, and do plug and play devices like the Logitech FFB wheels

12. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #12 Str8shooter, May 21, 2013
    Last edited: May 21, 2013
    The way I understand it the kinect is bundled with every xbox one so if you buy, new in the box, you're getting one. The kinect must be connected to the xbox one for the xbox one to function.

I have a kinect hooked up right now but rarely use it. I got it for head tracking in Forza 4 which I could never get to work right. I also prefer to use the controller to navigate through the menus instead of the kinect so hopefully the xbox one will continue to give us that option.

For those of us that have a Kinect now, it won't work with the xbox one.

As for the tv tuner it looks like to me that you need a separate cable box. In other words the xbox one won't serve as a cable provider, just as a tuner. You still have to provide a source and then feed it into the xbox one. The other part to figure out is the input. There is one HDMI in and one HDMI out that has been announced. I haven't seen anything about a coaxial cable input which might affect some people. I'm sure there will be apps for ESPN and the TODAY show but for full service you'll still need to pay for cable service AND route it through your xbox one to watch TV.

Rumors are flying all over the net and responsible journalism is a thing of the past. You don't know who to believe so please don't take my thoughts as fact :)

13. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    I'm with you on this one.

But I guess the real reason they're doing this is to cut down pirated games.

14. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #14 Str8shooter, May 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just saw these so I thought I'd post them here so we can get to speculating about Forza 5

Looks like a P1 will be in the game.

That gives hope to a La Ferrari and that P 4/5 C thing I need a darn PC to drive :D

Headlights ON which gives hope for night driving. A day / night cycle for Le Mans.

I'm excited the developers get to make Forza 5 for the Xbox One. I would've been disappointed if we had to have one more Forza on the 360.
    If they get Forza 5 out before the end of the year that will be enough for me to pre order the Xbox one.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It's also looking like it won't be possible to use the very expensive games and game console you purchased offline. M$ says that you have to connect the xbox to the internet once a day or else you can't actually use it anymore. PS4 is looking better and better. My anger towards these things is based on the fact that they are limiting what you can do with the thing that you purchased, I never buy used game nor do I envision a time when I won't have internet, but the idea that they are telling me how to use the items I purchase really ticks me off.

16. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    LOL That's one thing we wont know till 3mths later. Not buying this straight away but will eventually get one :eek:

Atleast they are channeling something. Nintendo has lost the plot.

Looking at the specs they could easily do emulation. They should at least make arcade games backward compatible.

None of my friends that have kinects use them.

Well lets start with mobile/cell phones. It's not just M$ doing it everyone is doing it.

Our Intellectual Property Laws Are Out of Control - Popular Mechanics

17. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Truth, although I was about to argue with the cell phone analogy due to the cheap price being due to subsidizing based on contract, however your contract with AT&T (for example) has nothing to do with your right to use the phone elsewhere as long as you pay your AT&T bill every month.

I think I'm going to hold out on both system for awhile, wait for PS3 prices to drop when the PS4 comes out and pick up GT6.

18. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  19. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I hope the hardware is higher quality this time around. I still have my jan '07 ps3. My buddy is on his3rd 360...

I haven't seen anything on controller compatibility, of they don't have g25/g27 support it's a deal breaker for me, though I may skip this generation entirely. I've played two games in the last year and have 2 new ones still in the wrapper that I haven't had time or motivation to pop in the system.

20. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    My Ghettobox has also given up the ghost finally this time (it got that name after I home fixed it but it still kept overheating...so I took off ALL the plastics, put it vertical, DVD drive held up with tape and a big fan in front of it. Worked like this for 2 years!).

It used to break all the time.

I don't think I'll be buying an XBO at all. I think I'm going to build a big PC system (Titan GPU!) and proper racing sim setup. Maybe I'll buy a 2nd hand PS3 for the up coming GTA5 and upgrade to GTA5 on the PC once it's out on that (normally about 6 months later).

21. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I sold my 360 because I no long used it enough to warrant keeping it. Now it Forza 5 being released as one of the games, I don't know if I should part with my money for this and probably end up doing the same thing in a few years.

22. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    I found this on another forum

excerpts:

With each subsequent console generation there's an undercurrent of fear, a concern that this will be the cycle that finally kills off something many hold near and dear: the used game.

With the announcement of the current next-generation of consoles the discontent raised again. Is the axe about to drop on the used video game market? Is this the iteration that will prevent you from borrowing something from a friend? Not if Microsoft has anything to say about it. The Xbox One does support used games and it does support game sharing -- but the details are in some cases a bit murky.

#1 - Buying and selling of used games is supported

Yes, you can play used games. Yes, you can buy used games and, therefore, it's reasonable to conclude that you can sell them too. It was postulated that you would have to pay some sort of activation fee to Microsoft to re-enable those used games, but Microsoft seems to be trying to dispel that thought. Exactly how it works still remains to be seen. "It's going to be different than the way we currently do it," Albert Penello, senior director of product planning at Microsoft told us. "We'll get into more specifics later."

#2 - Games are installed in the background while you play

Just pop the disc in and start playing and the game will start installing while you play. No need to hit the Y button and go through any other theatrics.

#3 - You can play installed games without the disc

Sick of sitting through the full game install on the Xbox 360, only to still have to get up and put the disc in every time you want to play it? So was everyone at Microsoft, as it turns out. "That feature, the ability to play games off the hard drive, was one of the first things we wrote down when we started to talk about next-gen," said Penello. So, yes, once you install the game, you can put the disc on the shelf and forget about it. But, presumably, you can't just sell the disc and still keep playing the game.

So, how does that work? At a minimum, each game disc must have some sort of unique ID associated to your account. "Your Xbox account will tie you to your game," said Penello. That ID must, therefore, be somehow disassociated from your account before you can sell the thing. Unfortunately, this is where things start getting murky. "We'll get into more specifics later," Penello told us again, a common chant that hopefully will change when we get to E3 in a few weeks time.

#4 - You can download games that were purchased on disc

Here's an interesting situation. What happens if you want to play a game you own on a friends console? You will, Penello says, have "the ability to go over to your friends house, download your save game, or even download your game to his Xbox and pick up where you left off." So, not only will your game saves be stored in the cloud, your entire game library will be and you'll be able to download it from anywhere.

#5 - Offline gameplay is supported

That all your game saves are in the cloud is a nice step forward, but what if you're offline? Can you still access those game saves? Can you still play your games? Yes, you can. Games will work offline without an issue and game saves will sync transparently when you reconnect, Penello told us. However, some games that make use of Microsoft's online services may not be playable offline. That will be up to developers.

#6 - You can share games with those in your "household"

Another use-case we threw Penello's way: what if your spouse or child signs in to the family's Xbox One and wants to play a game that is associated with your account? Will they have to buy it themselves? "Certainly we've accounted for family members in the household being able to play games." Exactly how? That, again, remains to be seen. Only 19 days until E3...

23. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    And then there is this

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825

" Xbox One games will require a one-time activation code to use, but you'll still be able to trade and sell them online, Microsoft tells Kotaku—although we're not 100% clear on the details.

Speaking to us at the big event in Redmond today, Microsoft corporate vice president Phil Harrison clarified a couple of details about the system's used game policy and explained that there will be a solution for people who want to trade games with their friends.

Here's how the system works: when you buy an Xbox One game, you'll get a unique code that you enter when you install that game. You'll have to connect to the Internet in order to authorize that code, and the code can only be used once. Once you use it, that game will then be linked to your Xbox Live account. "It sits on your harddrive and you have permission to play that game as long as you’d like," Harrison said.

Other users on the console will be able to play that game as well, Harrison said. So you don't need to buy multiple games per family. "With the built-in parental controls of the system it is shared amog the users of the device," he said.

But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison said.

"The bits that are on that disc, you can give it to your friend and they can install it on an Xbox One," he said. "They would then have to purchase the right to play that game through Xbox Live."

"They would be paying the same price we paid, or less?" we asked.

"Let’s assume it’s a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price," Harrison said.

But that doesn't mean used games are dead. In fact, Harrison told us, you'll be able to sell your Xbox One games online. "

24. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Not a deal breaker for me, but I wont buy a racing game from them.

I'd also love to see a new MS FS.

the required ISP connection once per day irks me too. I've many-a-time I've taken my system up north; and played on rainy day.

25. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'd be blown away if they had G25/G27 support, they've never had it before and I don't see them including it now.