Newbie, stuck on a log | FerrariChat

Newbie, stuck on a log

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Nader, Sep 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    #1 Nader, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm a newbie to off-road riding. I have raced small displacement vintage bikes for 10 years, Motard on the big road course for a couple, and I am trying to branch out to become a more complete rider. I bought a former professional's factory bike (Maria Forsberg's), and have taken to the very tight singletrack trails up here in the Pacific Northwest.

I've ridden these trails a few times now; I think I'm getting better, but not good enough to get over a log. This is how I got stuck, I thought it was kind of funny. But sad for this bike, that won everything in its prior owner's hands. Big air seems so far away, but I also thought the same about getting a knee down when I first started doing track days on a sport bike all those years ago.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I word
    “ momentum “
    Gets you over.

3. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    That's more of a ramp than obstacle.

I suggest finding a riding buddy that has some experience in the woods. You'd be surprised how much you learn riding with someone faster than yourself.

4. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    Yes, figuring that out.

Oh yeah, I've built that ramp after getting stuck. But I agree, I need to find people to ride with. That's part of why I was so hesitant/timid when I'm out by myself in the middle of nowhere. I didn't see another soul all day.

Wish I started riding off road when I was younger.