Newbie question of the day..... | FerrariChat

Newbie question of the day.....

Discussion in '612/599' started by lear60man, Apr 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Ive been looking at a couple of 2008 F1 599's and they have three pedals. I get gas and brake, but what is the third one for?

Thanks in advance,

Christian

2. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    On the right side there is a metal plate. That's polished like a mirror. So on pictures it looks like there are 3 pedals.

Makuono likes this.
  3. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Holy crap......mystery solved and thank you.

360Marnix likes this.
  4. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    But while we are on this subject, does anyone know why exactly? It’s the same on the 612. Is it to (falsely) recreate the spirit of 3-pedal piloting???

5. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    You guys are joking - right? It is just to save ware on the carpet on the tunnel and looks better than a piece of black plastic.:rolleyes:

Makuono likes this.
  6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Also keeps your foot from hanging up on the tunnel carpet, especially if you have big feet.

Makuono likes this.
  7. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    True. Its a great feature. I wonder why Ferrari stopped using on the later models.

8. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    My perception is that is a “Lux” option and not a “Sport” option so it didn’t have so much appeal to folks wanting a more sports look? I would guess if you are specing a new vehicle and you wanted that option you could get it. Money always talks.:D

Makuono likes this.
  9. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Thanks Randy... I honestly put my hands up and say I didn’t know the real reason. Personally I would have put some Daytona patterned leather there rather than a shiny mirror! The other feature I absolutely love is the knee bolster on the central tunnel... so thoughtful!

10. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I think the leather would scuff up to easily and get shabby with your shoe rubbing on it, you think?

Zaza likes this.
  11. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yup. 2 thumbs up!

12. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    They did it on the 993 911’s and it seemed to work extremely well. But at least our 612s have an extra mirror!

randkin likes this.
  13. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Yeah Porsche seems to use tougher leather than Ferrari. Ferrari’s leather is a finer grade. I like the feel of Ferrari’s leather better but Porsche’s tougher grade seems to resist ware better. IMO Just another reason you can really use a Pcar as a DD and not so much a Fcar.
    Ferrari has a big problem with the dash leather pulling away from the windshield, I have never had that problem on any of several Porsches I have owned since my first one I bought in 1968.

599_GTO likes this.
  14. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian

I think this sums it up perfectly after owing sever F and P cars over the years. One thing I did on day one of my F car is feed the leather dash semi monthly and leave a tall starbucks type coffee mug filled with water with the top off. The water thing probably a placebo but makeks me feel better in SoCals low humidity.

15. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Speaking of pulling dash leather, it is almost shameful and appalling that modern day F cars would have leather that shrink and pull after some years. And lets be honest, most F cars are so pampered in their little garages and do not even see a fraction of what most other cars go through... and those cars do not have leather that pull.

16. Patrnflyr

Patrnflyr Karting

Jan 23, 2012
    Lubbock, TX
    Agree 100% and what about the sticky situation? It’s shameful that a 30 year old Corolla has perfect switches and all the Italian mfg’s have issues to this day. Of course, there will be people who give out the same answer year after year, “you’ve got to pay to play” garbage. I’ve got a friend who’s dropping serious money on his Lambo for switches. I’ve had to do the same thing on my 456 for the leather dash. Luckily, we had a great leather repair service in the DFW area who made it look perfect.

When will it stop?

17. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Wow, the whining with so little knowledge. ALL leather shrinks. The reason the dash doesn't shrink on a Porsche is because it isn't leather. As for the stickies, most high end cars have similar issues and ANYONE who uses the soft touch finish has the problem. Soft touch gives it the luxury feel but breaks down over time. Of course they could finish the switches in a hard surface and give up luxury for their clients just so some future 3rd hand client could feel better. Then again, why would they want to do that?

360Marnix likes this.
  18. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Not so, my 1977 Porsche 930 TC has a full leather dash! It has never shrunk and I have owned it since 1979. So get your facts straight before you make wild all inclusive statements. Certainly there some Pcars which don’t have a leather dash but several of my Pcars did have leather dashes and didn’t shrink.

FerrariFinally, RonH and 599_GTO like this.
  19. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    For what it’s worth, the leather on my 612s’ dash is still perfect. Then again I do live in Scotland...

20. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    My 612 dash leather is also still perfect and I live in So Cal but I make every effort not to leave it in the sun. But when I have to be in the sun, I have a sun shade. :rolleyes:

21. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    So to make sure I have it right: You have owned the Porsche since almost new and taken care of the dash. You did the same with your 612 and neither had an issue with shrinkage. So how does that prove that Porsche dashes don't shrink and Ferrari dashes are poorly made? It more likely proves that you take care of your cars but there are plenty of discussion with dash shrinkage on the few Porsche with leather dashes. As I reminded my nephew today, don't confuse correlation and causation. In this case I would add that correlation on a population of 2 proves absolutely nothing. So I will stick with my claim "ALL leather shrinks."

22. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Yes, I have owned the 930 since almost new (1,750 miles on the clock at purchase now about 33,000 miles), I have done very little to take care of the dash but I have not used it as a DD. The dash did not shrink at all, additionally I live in So Cal where the heat is a factor! FYI most of the early US 930s had full leather interior, I don’t believe the EU cars did however

Apparently you didn’t read my post correctly ”…several of my Pcars did have leather dashes and didn’t shrink” at all. Most of the Pcars I purchased close to new and drove them for several years, 5-10 years none of the leather Pcars dashes have shrunk that I have owned. So I can account for about 6 Pcars with leather dashes which did not shrink. By no means, a significant sample size but certainly a significant time span especially living in So Cal. So all I can say is I have not experienced dash shrinkage on any of my cars but I have only had one Fcar but have seen the problem on many other Fcars that are regularly used and are not new.

I am not disagreeing that leather shrinks only that some leather shrinks far more than other leather. Pcars and Mercs (yes I have had a few of those also) don’t have the problem like Fcars do.

599_GTO and RonH like this.
  23. Motorama

Motorama Karting

Jul 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stijn Van Loffelt
    I like f Cars for what they are but the build Quality just does not match any German or Japanese Car. Then again the drama and Flair is unbeatable.

I think leather only shrinks on f dashes and old rich women..

599_GTO likes this.
  24. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I agree with Randy on this. I have had a number of high end Mercedes as well as Porsches. I had a Mercedes CL55 as my daily driver for 10 years. None of these cars ever had leather or sticky problems. Not so with my 612. Ferrari does have leather and sticky problems that the others do not have. Not complaining here because I love my 612. But lets be honest about it, facts are facts.

25. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    I am also (unfortunately) of the mind that Ferrari loses here, so taking the Randy and Ron line on this one. I have a few Prancing Horses so know these cars and one of my 993s is now 23 years old and had the factory hand stitched full leather dashboard off the line from Stuttgart. Not a single issue with it. My 612 has a sticky dash and all manner of brittle control parts such as the infamous wing mirror controls. As with all of us, I love my Ferrraris, failings and all but I didn’t buy them for build quality... and they often remind me of that fact! I currently have the 612 sitting in a garage on a trickle charger except that the battery is completely dead despite being plugged in, the drivers door key cylinder rotates in its housing but doesn’t cooperate with the lock to get the door open and with the passenger door against a wall,I have no way to access the car to pull the emergency boot/trunk release. Somebody will “break” into my car so that I can get it open and get a new battery in. As I said, quality is not what it should be! I am still in love nonetheless!

RonH likes this.