Newbie looking at a 1985 400i for sale.... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Newbie looking at a 1985 400i for sale....

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Part Time, Dec 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Thanks, guys.....I am already making a list of "things to do" in a priority order, and $$ order.
    First I have to pay for it, then title and tag.......thinking about a personal plate, we use 6 characters here, 2 groups of 3......(YES V12)....or ....(ITS V12)....or.....?
    I am headed to north Palm Beach for dinner tomorrow, I will pass by the dealership and make sure my new old stock Ferrari is there, I just want to see & touch it......am I a little CRAZY ?
    PS: I wondered how some of the posters on here get 2k, 3k, even 4k posts......well, I think my fingers are going to be very tired......

2. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    PM me about the LH convert.

3. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    How about

400i

4. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Got my 400i to the dealership today.....first time I could take a good look at. Noticed a few more minor issues, but nothing surprising......the hood wont release on the right side, I am sure there is another cable release over there, just one more thing to fix. A previous repair to fix an inop fuel door release was to just rip out the cover trim panel and bend up the manual lever....hack job, why not take it apart carefully and fix it ?
    So, next transfer the $ and pay for it, fix a couple minor things, and trailer it home in a week or so, then I can get serious about the fuel system.
    Also need to sell my 1720 Key West CC to make room and provide repair $'s.
    Thats all for now.....

5. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    You seem to have the ambition, skill set, and space to work on it. Besides, the car shows cosmetically well. I did a lot of 60's Mopars and once I got past the learning curve it was all fun. I'm sure you will enjoy finding the procedures to make it run as new. Guess I'm a little envious, haven't had a challenging project for too long. Anyway, enjoy the "ride".

6. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    To all the experts out there, I need some advice. (See previous posts for background info)
    I have had the 400i at work for a week or so and the current owner has been out of town for the last week, so I have still not paid for the car yet.
    It does have a problem with the left hand bank fuel inj system, it sat at a local shop for 6 weeks, I do not know was done, or "undone", however, it barely moves/drives to get it into the shop, smells of fuel, no external leaks, but does however have a badly clogged lh cat converter. Now....was the fuel problem the initial symptom that caused the owner to put it in the shop ? Is the plugged converter the result of the ful inj problem ? AND....the engine oil is overfull now, and smells of fuel......or was it overfilled at the last change ?
    No, I am not driving/starting it anymore. Which brings me to my question....exhaust system has been changed, car has 2 header pipes into a short Y, welded to cat, with an O2 sensor before cat, then straight pipe to thru rear suspension and a small Dynomax muffler with single outlet at rear bumper, nothing original except headers. I need to remove the plugged cat just to work/diag the fuel problem....the O2 sensor goes away.....here in Florida I can get a "test pipe" installed, no emission checks here. I am thinking a replacement cat or at least a muffler will need to added somewhere....one little Dynomax wont be enough, will it ?
    Or do I trash cats, O2 sensors, air pump completely ? Where do the O2s report to ? A module somewhere ? How does the data from the sensors affect changes to the fi system ? I have not traced the wires from the O2s yet. Do I jump right in and have the muffler shop trash everything from the headers back and fit a pancake muffler ahead of the rear axle in addition to a second behind and 2 big chrome pipes on each side?
    I would like to have this 400i as a driver, I am not ready to commit to mega dollars for exhaust at this time?
    I know, a lot to ask, sort of taking a poll.....toss some opinions my way, please.....and thanks in advance !!!

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The typical "US legal" modification has the O2 sensor(s) report to an added ECU that then sends a signal to an added frequency valve that alters the control pressure -- try a search on the term "quasi-lambda" for prior threads (that should have some photos IIRC).

8. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Well first of all you said the oil is over filled and smells like fuel. So, easy, you know where the over full problem is coming from. If it looks like a fish and smells like a fish it us usually a fish. The fuel injection system on these cars is pretty basic, any old time BMW or Porsche mechanic can fix it with his eyes closed. So don't worry there.

Exhaust? Most of us who have replaced the stock system have headers, a small cat, stainless pipes, and a dyna or magna flow muffler.

To get it up and running I would pull the bad cat, get the fuel injection system operating properly, then straighten out the exhaust.

You're ok, don't get to bent or worried, you just have some basic work to do nothing major.

9. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    I think one little muffler per side would be enough. These are only 4.8 liter engines. And they have a wonderful sound above 5000 rpm. That's really the whole point in my opinion.

10. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day PartTime,

Perhaps I am reading too much into this.... but... you have not yet paid for the car and so the car is technically not yours to modify, repair, etc... Spending any repair dollars and/or modifications before formalizing the purchase (i.e. payment, bill of sale, title transfer, etc.) could cause you a lot of grief should the seller decide not to sell and/or be unable to sell (i.e. illness, car lien, etc). Just saying...

Cheers,

Sam

11. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    So far I have begged a free flatbed delivery from the local shop where it was "fixed", to the dealership where both I and the selling partner work, the other partner being in Naples, Fl.
    And I bought new wiper re-fills because the originals were shot and I did not want anyone to scratch the windshield if they bumped the lever while the key was on. I have also ordered a set of original spark plugs, (at $2.18 each !), and have read chats on several other brands also used in these engines, just figured to start with what the book sez first..
    Yes, I am waiting to close the deal, we have agreed on a price, and you are correct, I will not be spending any major bucks until I have paperwork in hand. The previous chat about the exhaust/cat converters was to ask advice in advance so I could make the correct choice first, as I am not an exhaust fabricator and will need to farm this project out.
    Thanks for the interest, I feel I will be relying on all of you for guidance in the near future, stay tuned !

12. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    $2 MENTIONED FOR THE COST OF SPARK PLUGS. U REALLY DO NOT NEED THIS CAR unrealistic

13. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    :D

14. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    I think he meant that $2 is cheap compared to the iridium plugs used on 'modern' cars.

15. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    True....I sell spark plugs Mon-Fri at $7.95 to $11.95 each with no problem, and we have 1 engine that takes 16 plugs !!! I thought 2 bucks a plug was great !! Of course, I might upgrade to better plugs later.

16. zman

zman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    You could of had mine for a few grand more and drive it right away....

17. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    ZMAN...actually just paid for mine on Monday.....going to the muffler shop on Friday to cut out the converters, then home.....yours sounds great, but at over twice what I paid, just could not swing it. I am sure yours will sell, there are a few people in this forum looking.....

18. zzman

zzman Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 17, 2014
    Toronto
    you could of had it for 25k