New Windshield Protection Film | FerrariChat

New Windshield Protection Film

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by Premier Protective Films, May 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Premier Protective Films

Premier Protective Films Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 20, 2004
    San Francisco Bay
    #1 Premier Protective Films, May 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As some who attended our Open House last weekend, we presented to a few our new windshield protection film. It is a 4 mils thick polyester clear film w/ an ultra hard-coating on top that protects it from daily usage (windshield wiper blades, road debris, etc.). We just installed it on a Carrera GT whom the customer drove for 3 days and already experienced one marble sized rock that hit the film toward the top edge and not damage the glass. It did leave a minor scuff that is equivalent to a spec of sand. Below are some pictures of the film and its clarity.

The film is thermally applied (heat shrunk) to the windshield to conform to the contour of the glass. If anyone here is familiar with window tinting, heat shrinking is a valuable technique in performing one piece installations. This is no different..........only that the windshield film is 3.5 times thicker than standard tint.........not easy to shrink at all.

This product not only protects the glass from small debris that could crack and split the glass, but it also offers 99.9% UV protection. In addition, it adds an extra layer of protection to the occupants from road debris. The film does not affect visible light transmission, which means it will not alter the aesthetics or legality of "tint" on the windshield.

We also offer our new high-line nano-technology ceramic film for all windows (including windshield). The film rejects up to 81% of infrared rays and blocks approximately 50%-60% of solar heat w/o the need to go with a dark shade. The most beneficial part of ceramic film is that it will not affect with wireless signals (gps, radio freq, etc.). We have the film in 60%, 50%, and 40%. Both our ceramic line and windshield protection film reduces glare by up to 50%, which is helpful for night time driving.

Pricing will be based on vehicle glass size and difficulty. For more information about the products, please feel free to give us a call Monday-Sunday 10:30-6pm. Thanks guys!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. exoticalex

exoticalex Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Walnut Creek, Ca
    Full Name:
    Alex L
    Very cool and useful product!

3. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Sam,

In the movie business when a film is finished, the term "that's a wrap" is used!

Would that term apply to your business as well?

Great idea with the windshield protection.

About what does a 360 windshield cost?

4. Rachane

Rachane Formula 3

Sep 5, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Rachane
    I attended the "grand opening" event and took a careful and close look at the sample windshield they had with this film applied. It appears much like "starshield" if you're familiar with that. Fitted so precisely around the edges of the windshield that you wouldn't know it's there unless you were looking for the fine edge. It was held up so that I could look through it from a "driving" perspective. There was no visual distortion or blurring or other problem that I could see. [This was under clear day/bright sunlight conditions.]

I for one was convinced. As I have a so-far-unchipped original 328 windshield, I've made an appointment for an installation. I understand that it takes about 3 hours, on site, so I'll just bring the car and a good book!

5. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    ..." but it also offers 99.9% UV protection"...

Is the 99.9% refer to UV 'A' or UV 'B' or both ?

6. ferrari_jjc

ferrari_jjc Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2004
    I wish you had this a month ago when my 360 windshield cracked. In any case, I'm definitely convinced about your new product after seeing it in person. I'll give you a ring later in the week for an appointment. BTW....great event Sam.

7. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    Sam - I saw the film in person. Interesting application indeed!

What is the warranty that comes with the film? I intend to use it on a daily driver (my Audi) first. It will see a lot of sun and rain, as well as road debris that may get dragged across the windshield by the wiper. Is the film as durable as the glass it protects? Can the user peel it off in case the film becomes damaged while on the road?

8. F5506M

F5506M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Is the film applied to the outside or inside of the windshield?

9. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    How will putting it inside protect it from road debris and windshield wiper blades as mentioned in post #1.

It has to be outside

10. Rickenbach

Rickenbach F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2005
    West
    Full Name:
    Rickenhoser
    I had a similar product installed around the perimeter of my daily driver. The film looked great at first, but it didnt take long for exposure of the elements to take their toll. It became pitted and discolored relatively quickly.

11. Premier Protective Films

BANNED

Dec 20, 2004
    San Francisco Bay
    This is a revolutionary product designed to give protection to the windshield from cracks, pits, and breakage from some road debris. It actually covers the entire glass, not the type that only wraps around the perimeter. The film comes with an ultra-hard top-coat to protect from windshield wiper blades and has UV inhibitors built into the adhesive to block 99.9% of UVs. We have been in the protective films business for over 8 years and this is the clearest safety film we have ever come across.

Traditional products used for Nascar are windshield peel-offs that are meant for short-term usage........very short term. Our WPF (windshield protection film) comes with a 15,000 mile limited warranty from bubbling, yellowing and peeling.

Cost of the film is dependent on the windshield being applied to it (difficulty of curvature, size, etc.). Please contact us directly for more information - [email protected]

12. ThisFlyGuy

ThisFlyGuy Formula 3

May 7, 2006
    SF Bay area
    Full Name:
    Michael
    c'mon man, OUTSIDE

13. dingster

dingster Rookie

Aug 31, 2007
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Myke Toledo
  14. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Interesting that I just talked to Sam (email) and he said they've dropped the product due to issues with it. :-(

Anyone know of any alternatives? I really want to get something on my F40.

Tim

15. ThisFlyGuy

ThisFlyGuy Formula 3

May 7, 2006
    SF Bay area
    Full Name:
    Michael
    when i was talking to him about it, it did seem alot of high maintenance issues........

i wonder if there even is an alternative

16. SANguru

SANguru Formula 3

Jul 15, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Josh
    LOL.... who wouldn've thunk! :D ;)

17. dingster

dingster Rookie

Aug 31, 2007
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Myke Toledo
    Honestly, I rather have something on my windshield than nothing at all? What issues are there though? It doesn't scratch and prevents you from getting a ding in the windshield. Only thing I do know is, once it's on, it's on for good.

18. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Whoa, I thought the ClearPlex guy told me it was totally removable?? It has to be in order to repair it. Yes/no?

Dumb question: Why can't tint film be applied to the outside of the windshield for show car type applications? Seems like it might ward off some small things - which I seem to get every other drive on my 550...

- Tim

19. dingster

dingster Rookie

Aug 31, 2007
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Myke Toledo
    I was totally told the opposite. Once it is applied and cured, it's not coming off. It's best to have a real good installer so it gets done properly the first time.

20. Premier Protective Films

BANNED

Dec 20, 2004
    San Francisco Bay
    Just to clarify a few things here. First, it is not a product we are carrying anymore as the first post was last year in 2006.

1. the film is removable and does an excellent job @ protecting the windshield from glass cracking road debris
    2. tint is desgined for interior application due to its XR coating not weathering well
    3. tint is fairly thin, so it would not give you the protective capabilities of something like Clearplex
    4. we are not carrying the product anymore for the following issues:

a) inconsistency in clarity of adhesives
    b) film can get scratched from wiper usage
    c) film only comes with a 1 yr warranty

21. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

If an owner were to accept these downfalls, might you consider installing it?

22. Premier Protective Films

BANNED

Dec 20, 2004
    San Francisco Bay
    Only if there are improvements in some of the areas stated above. We will be receiving some new samples in one week.....will post pictures and our opinion on the product then. Thanks again everyone!

23. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Please do so! Mine will probably never see the wipers work, so that's not an issue. ;-) 1yr warranty? No problem. The uneven clarity would be a problem. But, with your expert install, that should be minimized?

Maybe we need to get a petition over to Sam to do another run of this stuff. :)

Tim

24. 289FIA_Cobra

289FIA_Cobra Karting

Sep 6, 2007
    I say we get Scotty on the line and ask about that aluminum glass!!!! :D

25. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Sure would help prevent rock chips