New Venue Round 4: RSVP registration | FerrariChat

New Venue Round 4: RSVP registration

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by johnhoughtaling, Aug 1, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #1 johnhoughtaling, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
    FCRA: round 4,

We are changing the venue from Watkins Glen to Monticello for Sept 2-3, Round 4 of the FCRA Championship.

The change in venue is necessary. The FCRA has once again tried in vein to work with the FCA national and the FCA national board has once again made moves against to interests of FCA members who run in the FCRA. Someone from the FCA spoke to Watkins Glenn and after that conversation "alarm bells" went off at the Glenn and they withdrew their offer to contract with the FCRA. Denny Austin, the track chair of the FCA, has refused to honor FCRA licenses (despite the strict FCRA licensing requirements) and refused to allow the FCRA to run the race at the FCA event, despite the fact that the identical organizers and entrants ran races at this very FCA event for the last two years in a row. (This from the same guy who approved rubber stamped "Nasa licenses" for the FCA national. ) I want to thank FCA Empire region members Bob Coates, and Roland Veit who lobbied tirelessly but in vein against vindictive and petty politics that exist on the FCA National board. I will spare you the further details, but I am proud of what we have come up with:

The good news is we have a new venue the same weekend and a better program. The owners of Monticello are allowing the FCRA to race the full course with 22 magnificent turns. We will have run groups to ourselves, we finish each day early, and after sat. race the FCRA will be hosted for Dinner at Daniels in Manhattan!

I know the Glenn is a tradition for many, but we have a spectacular new venue and program.

Please register asap for Round 4:

" Monticello & Manhattan: Dinner at Daniel's"

Friday Sept 2, Monticello 8-2pm, Qualifying at 11:00: race at 1:30

Sat., Sept. 3, Monticello 8-2pm, Qualifying at 11:00: race at 1:30

Sat, Sept. 3, Manhattan: FCRA Dinner at Daniels, Manhattan, 7:30 pm

$550 for two day track event and race entry fee,*

$130 per person, Dinner at Daniel's , Manhattan, Sat 3rd.

Please RSVP and remit payment to: FCRA, 3500 North Hullen, Metairie LA, 70002

*Please note that Monticello Motor Club is a private country club and does not rent their facilities to car clubs for HPDE activities. MMC has agreed to open their facilities to us for FCRA racing activities only. A big thank you to Ari Straus, president of MMC, and Chris Falletta of MMC who made this happen!

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I will be there! Thanks for working something out for us John.

3. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Well done on the recovery, John!

Shame on FCA, I may quit the club. I know you are very diplomatic and want to get along with everyone, but this is ridiculous.

4. JFatigati

JFatigati Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    John Fatigati
    I share the same sentiment about FCA membership at this point. It seems that the power trips are trickling down out of Washington! I will be at Monticello with bells on, and look forward to the opportunity to be in NYC. The Glen is a legendary track, but for those of you who will experience MMC for the first time are in for a treat.

John, thanks for everything as always.

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #5 Napolis, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey

I will try and Drive up early Sat. to see you guys.

Best

As I'm a MMC member does this mean I can enter P 4/5 C in your race??

:)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    If that entry is approved I think I'll fly in!!

MMC does indeed look like a top notch venue..

7. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Jim

So great to hear from you and would LOVE to see the P 4/5C! We will make an exception!! Can't wait to see you Jim!!

8. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #8 Napolis, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I will be there with P 4/5 as P 4/5 C is still over in Europe as she may continue racing next year.

Best!!

Fantastic Jim. Can't wait to see you again. Franco will be there. It's been too long.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. UAS

UAS Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2008
    Glen Cove, NY
    :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

10. brownsgolf

brownsgolf Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2007
    Western PA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Is this open to spectators? This would be awesome to attend if it is possible.

Thanks

11. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    The FCRA welcomes spectators but I'd check with Monticello. If the track allows you in your welcome to watch. The racing is close and exciting. We expect to have a full grid of 355s, 360s and 430s

12. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    It looks like I will not be able to make the event. Turns out my team (speedworks) has other drivers which have already prepaid for the Watkins Glen event. So I am out. I'll let Melissa know.

13. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    As an aside it's both stupid and crazy that in these times the FCA would not want to throw a joint event.

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Never underestimate the bizarre behavior of the FCA......

We used the sit at JRVs shop long into the night, trying to figure out exactly what they were taking.....:D :D :D

At my first Rally they warned me about trading paint with the other cars, they had seen me race, in karts! :D

15. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    A nice bonus:

We have added a test day Thursday to Round 4 before the Friday and Sat race.

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    great news

17. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003

Jim, just wanted to address this important point, as IMO we are far too small a group to become fragmented, not enough cars, not enough drivers.

I was really angry when I heard about the cancellation of the Glen FCRA race, and fired off an email to several FCA folks. Somewhat to my surprise, I received more than a few lengthy and impassioned replies from people in both FCA and the ESR. It's clear to me that ESR is hurt financially by the loss of the Glen FCRA race, and that there are FCA "players" who really wanted the race to come off. I don't have all the facts, there's a lot of history, so that's all I should really say. John also took a lot of his time to explain to me his view of what happened. It's a shame it all ended the way it did.

That said, I think John and the FCRA have a winning formula, I love the idea of a national series. I'll be at Monticello all 3 days and plan to run the entire FCRA season next year. I think the series is going to fly. I hope in building their 2012 schedules, FCA and FCRA aren't competing for cars, but perhaps it's inevitable. I'm not sure there are enough Ferraris to fill more than one, maybe two (but I doubt it), track events a month.

Having seen the short FCRA teaser, I just hope I'll be allowed to peek inside the Houghtaling, Bocuse and Vallobra trailers when the FCRA movie is made ... can anyone get me a SAG card?

18. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Owned Ferraris for 30 years. Tried westcoast FCA twice decades apart. The people change but the organization is still the same.

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm not going to get into this myself as all parties involved are a sponsor. I am a very happy member of both organizations and think I understand some of the problem because I saw something similar in my SCCA verse NASA days.

FCA
    • established - club organization, bunch of cooks in the kitchen top heavy & egos.
    • budgeted - details of the numbers have to make sense event by event and be in the black.
    • paperwork requirements (legal, insurance, event) - mountains of paperwork to wade through and required to be worked out beforehand for all legal, insurance, and event.

FCRA
    • lean & mean - single vision & final decision maker with support of small board.
    • deep pockets - between key players and sponsor support money fixes most problems and quality of event more important than final bottom line.
    • carefree paperwork - big lawyers aren't afraid of other lawyers, getting it done more important than details of paperwork.

I ran into a few similar things SCCA verse NASA, the top heavy old organization that did what it did well, but nothing new or out of the box worked. NASA was lean & mean, could make quick adjustments on the fly.

I don't have any problem with what the FCA is and how they do things, they are good at what they do. For something new like the FCRA and where it wants to go I think it has to stay lean & mean. There was an attempt by all parties to work together because the Ferrari world is somewhat small and much overlap, but these organizations are simply oil & water in the foreseeable future.

20. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    The only thing I disagree or clarify is that the differences between the FCA and FCRA do not have to do with carefree paperwork. We have far more meritorious rules and regulations than the FCA and our standards and liability protection and safeguards are far more strict and secure. We do a much better job than the FCRA and there is no BS which may make it seem easier.

The history may be a little confusing. Two FCA board members had an issue with me not having FCA authority but leading the charge on the FCA preliminary race events and direction. They wanted me out and wanted to keep control. When I received a threatening letter from FCA GC John Huribell to cease and desist, the FCRA went independent.

Since Huribell and Denny Austin have been against the FCRA and wrote by laws to restrict the potential of the FCA and FCRA to run events together. They falsely claim it is about the FCA wanting to be more careful and less carefree about liability and safety. This claim is an excuse for these individuals to throw a wrench in the FCRA and FCA running together. There position is meritless and merely a mask for their true intent.

The truth of the matter is the first cease and desist letter I received was because I posted on Fchat in advance of a Watkins Glenn FCA race, certain licensing and experience requirements for the upcoming FCA race. This was 3 years ago. Hurribell threatened me in a letter, claiming I had no authority to place restrictions on drivers, and that the FCA would allow anyone in the race who was approved by the on site chief stewart, without licenses or applications. I thought this was not safe, too carefree and I told him so.

Subsequently, I wrote very specific rules for license applications in consultation with two pro drivers and instructors for the FCRA. I also took out liability insurance which far exceeded that carried by the FCA. ( many dont know this but before every race, each drivers team gets a separate binder insuring them individually for up to 6 million dollars- the FCA does nothing of the kind) I also wrote instructions of strict penalties for car to car contact, and conducted very detailed drivers meetings before each race stressing these goals. BY contrast the FCA wrote rules that had little thought, were hollow, and then selectively enforced those rules, or created hollow loopholes.

Being a liability lawyer, I wanted to make sure that the FCRA was safe, and that the members of the FCRA, the organizers, and the drivers were protected from liability. I took real life steps to not talk about and provide lip service to that safety and security, but to actually do it. In the end, under my promotion the FCRA with its formal races this season, and the test races has run 13 races with almost no car to car contact. I put our safety record of our program and our drivers next to any organization running. We have implemented carefully thought out and executed safeguards to ensure liability and safety. Its what I do for a living, and so the FCRA is one of the safest and secure groups out there.

What I dont do is pretend to hide behind red tape and "rules" to play politics. The FCA has done just that. "we want to race with you but our strict safety rule prevent us" BS.

The truth of the matter is that the FCA rubber stamped BS nasa '"licenses" on drivers a day before their national event bc they lacked participation. They were not interested in safety, or the merit of it. They wrote rules and applied them in a political manner without thought or merit and then selectively and politically enforced them without reference to safety of a group or an event.

Saying we are careful and have rules, does not make an organization safe.

The FCRA does not have meritless red tape that is used selectively to achieve meritless political goals. The FCRA is efficient, and its rules and regulations have merit. So it may seem easier. Carefree its not.

21. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "In the end, under my promotion the FCRA with its formal races this season, and the test races has run 13 races with almost no car to car contact. I put our safety record of our program and our drivers next to any organization running."

From the perspective of someone who's raced in a bunch of series in a bunch of cars, I think John should be justifiably proud of what he's building in the FCRA.

Any Challenge car owner thinking about making the jump from track days to racing should be aware of the FCRA's emphasis on clean, safe racing. Chief Steward Peter Argetsinger and others have addressed safety in detail at all the pre-race driver meetings I've attended. I race in a "full contact" series in other cars, but don't want to play that way in my Ferrari. The FCRA is fostering hard, clean, fun racing - hard to beat that formula.

I also greatly appreciate FCRA's energy and ambition. I've wondered for years why there wasn't a strong Ferrari club race series in the US. I don't know whether FCA will develop a race series, but can understand why John decided to take FCRA on its own path - it's long past time to just start racing. It takes an entrepreneur, not a bureacracy. FCRA has a bright future and I'm glad to have the opportunity to tag along.

22. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I would like to see other non-challenge ferraris race with FCRA. Maybe that will happen in time. But for now I have lots of respect for John sticking to his early formula as a challenge series which seems to be gaining traction. Anytime you get a "big dog" on your heals you are on to something good. One problem we are having in SCCA right now are too many classes and not enough racers per class. There is also a plus to FCRA's ,what sounds like, aggressively enforced non-contact policies. No contact means you don't loose as many racers for sometimes a year putting cars back together or sometimes for ever as the money drys and the interest dies.

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you are right, because you are so efficient you are able to put out an end product quicker and likely better.

24. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Schedule Friday/Sat:

MMC Members Track Session 9:00am to 9:30am
    FCRA Race Practice 9:30am to 10:00am
    Members 10:00am to 10:30am
    FCRA Race Practice 10:30 to 11:00am
    Members 11:00 to 11:30am
    FCRA Race Practice 11:30am to 12:00pm*
    LUNCH 12:00pm to 1:00pm
    Members 1:00pm to 1:30pm
    Ferrari Challenge Race 1:30am to 2:00pm (30 minute Race)**

25. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    #25 WCH, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
    John, are there two 30-min sessions on Thurs, or four sessions? Thanks, Will

PS - when are we renting the track for the Unofficial Secret FCRA pre-Race Test?