New Top Gear | Page 4 | FerrariChat

New Top Gear

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Igor Ound, Dec 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I haven't make it through an entire episode yet, I either fall asleep or leave the room. Completely boring content. What I saw of episode 3 was alright with the TDF, other than that just poorly scripted dull banter. Clarkson was always fun to listen to with his creative wit. How the hell did Evans ever become a celebrity anyway? Is he the son or nephew of some television producer?

2. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Evans out. About time!

3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Edit, just read the article. That's great news. Harris and Leblanc can lead the show places. Sabine needs to go as well.

4. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
  5. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    They could utilize Sabine's driving skills more than they do. The problem is that her abilities overlap with The Stig character. I still think she's very likeable though, and wouldn't want her to depart.

All the best,
    Andrew.

6. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Hard to believe this happened so fast.
    good riddance though

7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

This departure may have more to do with Chris Evans under investigation by the police for a complain of alleged sexual harrassment way back in the 90s, more than falling TV ratings.
    This is what I think.

This has been in the news for a while already, but apparently, the police is now taking the case seriously and Evans is going to be interrogated at length. That's probably why he prefers to abandon the programme whilst he will be in the limelight for another reason.

Chris Evans is just one of many people in showbiz in UK accused of sexual harrassment and having their career terminated through the unwelcome exposure. Some end up being prosecuted and jailed for it, others escape jail, but have to forfeit their job as their reputation never recovers.

8. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Sexual assault rather than harrassment AFAIK but I won't miss him, the others seemed to have a good screen presence whereas he seemed to be all a bit too shouty.....

9. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Harrassment, assault, not much difference really.

I don't know if this is true or just malicious. Time will tell.

I have NEVER liked Chris Evans, long before him taking over Top Gear.

He sounds like an immature individual, constantly screaming and interrupting people.

10. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Thought the last episode was really good. The segment on the mg with evans was enjoyable too. Should have started series with this episode and just put the first one in trash. You can only make a first impression once...

11. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I had to check my CV to make sure I'd never worked at the BBC :D

12. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    New top gear has no soul. People now complaining about how annoying Chris Harris is, and rightly so! Been saying that for ages.

13. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I really enjoyed the first episode of this season. The chemistry between Matt, Chris, and Rory isn't as slick as it should be yet (particularly in the studio), but it was enjoyable. I liked that there were fewer presenters and that we didn't get screamed at with hysteria for a full hour. :)

Give them time, I think they're doing as well as anyone could expect.

All the best,
    Andrew.

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I liked the first episode a lot and am looking forward to the upcoming one this Sunday. It's much better with fewer presenters and they have three I find pretty entertaining.

15. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Oh, for sure an improvement on last year but with less controversy also fewer reasons to watch it. Matte Leblanc is the only thing that works, who would have said? Eddie Jordan should come back too.

16. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Good grief, no. The less we see of Eddie Jordan, the better.

All the best,
    Andrew.

17. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    +1.

18. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Ah ah ah. I miss him.

19. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    +2

20. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Excellent episode today. They're 2 for 2 this season. Keep it up. Having this plus The Grand Tour is fantastic. :)

21. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    It was I enjoyed it immensely. Love the Giulia anyway but to see Chris Harris put it above the M3 (He's a fan of M3's). He drove the M3 in ExtraGear (on the web after the show) and you can see how much he likes them.

Oh and I'd take the Lamborghini every time. I agree with Matt LB that the Porsche is not a super car despite being quicker!

22. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Better episode because of the cars but still same jokes, same challenges and even same guests as old Clarkson's Top Gear. Nothing new.

23. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Keeping everything same is the point of tg. For attempt at different, go to gt

24. douglas360

douglas360 Karting

Nov 7, 2016
    SoCal
    Just watched Episode 1 of the new TG season. What an improvement. Matt, Chris, and Rory are the right combination of presenters. They seem to have very good chemistry and are all very watchable.

To be honest, I enjoyed this episode more than nearly all of the very forgettable TGT episodes in which Clarkson & Co seem to be on a never ending quest for bigger & stupider where the cars are just props.

25. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I feel the new Top Gear is more in-line with how the series was in the earlier years before it turned into destroying cars like dropping pianos on them or whatnot. The Grand Tour has continued that, which is entertaining sometimes, but I like the current Top Gear more thus far. Either way, I hope both series keep running as it's nice to have as many car shows as possible. Us car enthusiasts are in the minority so anything car related is ok with me. :)