New to Nebraska :] | FerrariChat

New to Nebraska :]

Discussion in 'Midwest - USA (NE, KS, OK, MO, AR)' started by ctvoigts, Jan 23, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ctvoigts

ctvoigts Karting

Oct 8, 2007
    Eagle, ID
    Full Name:
    chris voigts
    Ok my friend and I just came to Columbus, NE from So Cal for work.....so aside from being in car culture shock it is ok. Where would some car freaks like us find some exotics or just some nice bmw's or anything lol. Thanks, chris

2. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Drive the 100 or so miles east to Omaha nad then wait about 3 months for the weather to warm up. Then you might see some nice things.
    What did you do wrong to get sent to Columbus in January?

3. ctvoigts

ctvoigts Karting

Oct 8, 2007
    Eagle, ID
    Full Name:
    chris voigts
    we did nothing wrong lol. Just making alot more money then in CA.

4. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    No doubt you will need to get a RED car as Nebraska is Big Red crazy. I know I was in Omaha for 4 years.

5. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    You won't see much here, that's for sure.

I don't think you would see ANYTHING in Omaha to make it worth the drive, car-wise anyway.

They have a 'car show' every Wednesday night in the Summer, but you won't see any exotics in it at all. In the three years I've gone to it off and on, I've seen one Pantera, and one 328. Once. That's it. It's mostly revamped american 'muscle', little of it show quality.

I used to live in Ontario CAL about a million years ago.

6. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    PS - WRONG.

Red cars are not a big deal here, I think I see more Silver and Grey than anything else.
    I see red about as much as I see white (cars).

7. ctvoigts

ctvoigts Karting

Oct 8, 2007
    Eagle, ID
    Full Name:
    chris voigts
    so i went to the omaha auto show sunday..............it was a let down..... :( it just doesnt compare to the LA auto show one bit. And you know you are in nebraska when there is the only f 460 at the show next to a f-350 dually on 26's and the people are pointing at the truck saying "i bet he cant get that thing in the mud" lol

8. dasMafia

dasMafia Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2004
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    welcome to the cold!!!!

I'm in Lincoln, and we actually have a great car culture here, but its dominated by street rods, hot rods, musclecars and a few rat-rods.

there is a VERY active BMW club/group (BMWCCA) here, and we are likely the most active european car group save the VW Tuner crowd (gack...).

drop me an email/PM and I'll get you invited to the next event. most of us are "car guys" first and bimmerphiles second.

last time we all met for lunch (in decent weather) there were something like 3-4 M3s, an M5, I think I had the Racecar (E30 325) that day, and a Z3.... those are the ones I can remember at the moment, and that was just a little lunch gathering on a Monday.

there will be a lot of neat stuff at our Driving School in Hastings (www.racemph.com) at the end of april as well... usually a truckload of M3s, a couple M5s, E30s galore, and a bunch of p-cars, vettes, the odd Viper or two... its a good crowd.

again, WELCOME!

9. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Ok, I gotta ask: you are in Nebraska, what did you expect ???????

Detroit or LA auto show it ain't, you should have realized that going in.

Here is a little tidbit: don't expect to see an Enzo, F50, Gallardo or Maserati - even in the 'rich' part of town. You won't.
    Oh, folks may have a Gallardo, or a 512, or a 355, but you won't see them. This isn't Beverly Hills.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but seriously, you just won't see anything exotic here, except for an
    odd 328 or something like that, and even that is rare. Folks have them, but seldom drive them.
    One reason is they don't want to get pitted paint or windshields, with all the rocky sand we put on the roads
    in the winter. It takes forever for that crap to get swept off the road.

Like Das said, get used to american 'muscle', and 'tuner' cars.

10. Dodici Cilindri

Dodici Cilindri Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2006
    Great Plains
    There are many active members of the Porsche Club in Omaha. Go to the Porsche Club of America web page to locate the regions around here. And because things are so spread out most people expect to drive to events.

11. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I know you will take this wrong, but I think in the vein of 'exotics': most folks here think of Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, McLaren, Bugatti as 'exotics', and probably not Porsche, Mercedes or BMW - unless you are talking the HIGH end models. Like what Roland Manarin has.

12. Dodici Cilindri

Dodici Cilindri Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2006
    Great Plains
    Whiskey you are right. You will not see the exotics that are here. The money is here. The cars are here. But the type of person who flaunts their wealth is not here. Neither you or I can change that.

13. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    It's not a matter of flaunting it, it's a matter of who wants a garage queen or not.

To me, if you are not going to drive it, buy a poster.
    There's no point in being able to say 'I own a Ferrari' if you are not going to drive it.

14. dasMafia

dasMafia Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2004
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    werd...

there is a maser spider that you can see every Saturday morning outside The Mill and/or Conroy's in Union College here in Lincoln... that's the most consistent spotting I know of...

15. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Ah, Union College....
    I visit Taco Inn, and Lamar's Donuts near U.C. every time I come to Lincoln....

And I am shocked at how it's blown up at 84th and Hwy 2....

I lived in Lincoln when I was going to UNL about 80 million years ago...

16. dasMafia

dasMafia Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2004
    Lincoln, Nebraska

DUDE!!!! I <333333333 Taco Inn! we ate at the Union College TI almost every day in High School (Southeast).

and you gotta skip Lamar's and go to Conroys... not even a competition. I, too, went to UN-L, but only during the Pleistocene Epoch... (no idea when that actually was...).

My wife and I live pretty close to UC, so that's kinda home-turf for me. We are moving out to 98th & Old Cheney though... they are supposed to start digging the hole as soon as the ground un-freezes.

17. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Where is 'Conroy's' ?

I was at NU 1976-80.

My best friend graduated from LSE in 1980.

Friend of mine bought an awesome house on 6 acres maybe 2-3 miles south of Hwy 2 around 96th -
    I think the racing motor place is on that corner - Spanel maybe ? It was 10-15 years ago, last time
    I was there. Friend got divorced - she got the house.

18. dasMafia

dasMafia Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2004
    Lincoln, Nebraska

Conroys is on Prescott between 47th and 48th... south side.

LSE '97, UN-L 1998-2002, spent 97/98 in Joplin, MO... what a hole.

and I bet I could drive right up to that house...

Drop me a line next time you're in town...

19. ctvoigts

ctvoigts Karting

Oct 8, 2007
    Eagle, ID
    Full Name:
    chris voigts
    I saw a new viper today parked in front of a bar...i have never been so excited in the last 3 weeks lol

20. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    The largest Viper dealer in the entire nation BY A MILE is in Blair, NE.
    Woodhouse sold about 225 a year, just a couple of years ago, I think the
    nearest competitor sold around 30. From what I saw in the Chrysler sales
    leaders internal reports.

21. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    When I visit, it's usually spur-of-the-moment, and it's to visit The Guitar Center.
    Although, we do like to camp out on O Street when Americruise is in town, and
    watch all the total idiots run around.

22. dasMafia

dasMafia Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2004
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    oh yeah... we do the exact same thing at americruise, but it appears as though that ship has sailed. Bill Smith has apparently declined to put any more money into the endeavor and the city won't pony up any money to bring them in (since we're bloody broke).

IIRC you're just up the road in Omaha... I'll send you a calendar of events that the BMW club has (closest thing to "exotic" outside PCA and a small alfa group in Omaha) I'm usually at all the bigger events... either in Lincoln or Omaha.

In addition, I go to Omaha every couple months for work and usually end up at Cigarros for a belt of scotch about 3:30 or 4pm...

23. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I'm a mile straight west of Boys Town.

Cigarros - about 3 blocks from where I used to live.

I work 2pm to 11pm, so I can't get there.

If I was Bill Smith, I wouldn't put any more money into it, either.
    Cities need to figure out what is good for their economy - if they are actually making money
    on the show then they are dumb not to bring it back.
    Problem may be the big 'Good Guys' car show in Des Moines brings in triple the number of cars that Lincoln does.

An acquaintance is an officer in the BMW Club, not sure if it's an Omaha club or a regional club.

24. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I think we killed this thread.

PM me if you want to continue.

25. dasMafia

dasMafia Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2004
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    who is it... if it's omaha, then you're talking about missouri valley chapter... I'm the secretary on the board!