New to me 456GT | FerrariChat

New to me 456GT

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by renn20, Feb 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. renn20

renn20 Karting

Aug 21, 2019
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    KL
    Hi Guys, I took delivery of my 456GT today. Very excited to join the 456gt family.

It's my second F car. The first one was a 348. It was a thrill, Loved the car so much.

Now V12 offers a very different driving experience. I am still warming up to it. What can I say. It was an impulsive buy :p The car was sitting mostly for the last 7 years. I am still waiting for whatever records that the seller can find for me. But I won't count on it. PPI passed, no major finding. It Just needs to change all the fluid. Cam Belt probably needs to be replaced. My mechanic said it looks new but better safe than sorry. There was no record of it being done in the last 7 years.

The car was in the shop for coolant hoses change before being delivered. The mechanic told me the two small hoses that goes around the back of the engine was brittle and leaking coolant. Strangely the plenum hose was already upgraded by the previous owner. But the small long hoses from the radiator to the back were routed wrong, it was very close to the header thus leading to failure. 456GT owner should look out to this. These hoses should be routed behind the heat shield reflectors. Anyway, the bill was not friendly.

I will be maintaining the car on my own. Hopefully I will have time to post some DIYs as I go along.

When I buy a car. The first I do is to detail the interior. It's like a ritual to make the car mine. So this was what I did today, The car's interior is in excellent shape except for some questionable radio mods by previous owner. Some area feels rough. I don't think the leather has been conditioned at all in the last 7 years. I realize I will go broke buying leather conditioners before the oil change. THE WHOLE INTERIOR is lined with leather! What's a good product to rejuvenate the leather?

This thread is worthless without photos. so here it is. I successfully converted my RED racing cars team to an Uber Fleet. Will post better photos in the future.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Spider68, Fennicus, paulchua and 3 others like this.
  2. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Congratulations! I'm in your same boat, waiting for delivery of my newly purchased 550. Would love to see some more action and interior shots!

One of my good friends is a detailing enthusiast, he swears by chemical guys products, which is what I'm going to use;
    https://www.chemicalguys.com/interior/soft-surfaces/leather-care/

3. car-aficionado

Jan 13, 2021
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Tom L
    New F-car owner, ‘04 575M. I checked out all the threads for the best leather care product. I came away with Leatherique rejuvenator as the consensus winner.

Just tried it this week and I can attest it is an excellent product. It wonderfully restored and nourished the leather.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  5. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
  6. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Nice car. Congrats man.

7. puckybadger

puckybadger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 12, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    If you're going to make an impulse buy then this was the correct one.

Mirek likes this.
  8. renn20

renn20 Karting

Aug 21, 2019
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    KL
    And the car comes with these wheels. I don't like them. Probably just the color. Factory 17s are too small IMO.

What would you suggest? refinish them? or trade em(anyone interested)?

These wheels are HRE 547

paulchua likes this.
  9. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    Congratulations!!
    And welcome to the 456 family!

How did the 964 compare to the 348?

10. renn20

renn20 Karting

Aug 21, 2019
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    KL
    Both are awesome. Very different cars. 964 felt modern after driving the 348. 964 is analog. 348 is another level analog thanks to the manual steering. I felt like on the edge every time I drove the 348. It's exciting but can be tiring.

While on the 964, you could modulate that "feeling". I can't find a better word to describe it. The 964 was also lighter, upgraded suspension. So the 964 was more nimble.

Can write an essay, but these two jumps out to me the most.

I miss both cars. Many years later I will regret selling those two cars.

11. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    The wheels have got to go.

12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002

paulchua likes this.
  13. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    Stunning those 575 wheels!
    Do they fit without any modification?

14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yep! brings the car forward at least 20 yrs!
    there are other pictures ive posted too...

15. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Those look like HRE, personally I would refinish them if you like the design. Also, you could always rebuild with a step lip to make them more modern.

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Congrats! Looks amazing.

When you have a chance, would love to hear the A/B comparison between your 348 and 456.

Thanks and super happy for you!

17. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    So, I bought a set of 18" HRE 547s off Fleabay so I could put better tires than those available for the 17" factory wheels and so that I could refinish the beat up paint on the factory wheels. I've put PS4s tires on the HREs and I like how it drives much better than on the older gen tires on the 17"s. These HREs are chromed as opposed to your painted. They don't look original by any stretch but don't seem to me to be as far out of the factory look as the painted version.

SteveVT and white out like this.
  18. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I agree re: 575 wheels!! Such a good look for the 456!

That car will look absolutely stunning with a wheel color that contrasts the black...of course I'm a sucker for a nice black car :)

Congrats, man! Glad it all came together!

19. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    Beautiful car, but yeah not a fan of those wheels. Some people put 18” 550 wheels on them and I think they look good that way, understated and still a genuine Ferrari wheel. Oh yeah, I have a set for sale brand new also lol.

20. puckybadger

puckybadger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 12, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    If you can find a set of 19" NF2's your problem will be solved

Laserguru likes this.
  21. renn20

renn20 Karting

Aug 21, 2019
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    KL
    Nf2s would be lovely. I think hre p107 looks nice too. The black face and polish lip on these current wheels are a bit much tuner look

22. renn20

renn20 Karting

Aug 21, 2019
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    KL
    Any idea what my aftermarket exhaust is? There is no markings on the mufflers.

23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Not sure but id go with fiammmenghi

24. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Congrats and welcome to the V12 club! 456 GTs are fantastic cars - I really enjoyed owning one for about 4 years.

For the leather, I’d recommend Leatherique - it seems to be the go to stuff most top detainers use. It’s the only thing I use on my cars and it’s been awesome. Use both the Rejuvinator and Prestine: http://www.leatherique.com/products.html

Ruben

25. renn20

renn20 Karting

Aug 21, 2019
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    KL
    Leatherique products ordered. Thanks for the tips guys

Now, I am also ordering fluid to replace what's in the car now.

Regarding the power steering fluid. I am looking to flush the system and replace with Pentosin CHF202. I have a few bottles left over from servicing the Cayenne. They should be fine for the 456gt system. Is there a way to flush out the entire system? I understand the reservoir has a drain plug. How do I flush the old ATF dexron fluid from the PS lines and the self leveling system lines? I found this image on search. But it doesn't say about flushing the lines. Pentosin and ATF is not mixable.

[​IMG]

Il Tifoso likes this.