New Tires - "Vintage" Look | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New Tires - "Vintage" Look

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Wade, Dec 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    @greatscott73 thanks for the input. I really like the vintage look. It sounds like the road feel of the higher side wall is also good.

2. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    UPDATE: It looks like the 215/55r16 BFG’s are no longer available. The 255/50r16 are still available. I’m thinking about substituting 205//55r16 for the fronts. This tire has a 24.9” outer diameter, versus 25.3” for the no-longer available 215/55r16.

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    It's weird how/when that happens. And the the same time none of the distributors have any on-hand or "in the warehouse" when the manufacturer says "they're no longer available". I went through the same with my Jeep and SRT6 (18 in front and 19 out back). In both cases, the perfect tires (for me) that I was buying became unavailable. :(

4. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    Yes I was wondering the same - why no surplus stock anywhere? Another “vintage look” option would be BFG 225/55 on the front like this:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/attachments/image-jpg.1748749/

Worth noting the 328 above has BFG 245/50 on the rear. I would go with 255/50 on the rear (as Wade did) for the more vintage look.

5. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #30 Wade, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    Sounds like a good choice. The 225/55r16 is slightly taller but more "balloon-like" (e.g. section width) than the 215/55r16 or the TRX. Remember thought at the early Mondial 8 had 240s up front as well (8" tread width).

I updated the chart to include the 225 and 255 combo (blue highlighted). Specs from Tire Rack

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    When I saw the title of this thread I was hoping to see big whitewalls on a Mondial. Just to see how it looks. Maybe someone can photoshop.

7. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    I put the 205's on the front of mine. I'm satisfied with the look and performance.

8. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    Interesting the early Mondial 8 had the 240's back and front - so even more balloon-like than the 225/55 r16's. Here is a walk around of a Mondial 8 that looks like it might have the 240's all around. I think it looks very 1970's, in a good way:

9. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Mondial 8 and the early QV - Michelin TRX 240/55VR 390 on all fours, plus the spare.

From the Owner's Manuals:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    But Ferrari reduced the front wheel/tire widths with the later cars. To lighten the steering load during low speed maneuvering?

These TRX sizes (and look) are what I used for finding "replica" replacements.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Mark C Harvey likes this.
  11. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    It's important to understand that all Mondial 3.2's do not have the same tire rim size. I learned this the hard way. I noticed a 3.2 at a car show with the BFG tires on original rims. My 3.2 has 360 Modena rims and I have the original 5 point star rims with dry-rotting TRX tires on them. I went straight to Costco tire center. I gave them the size and specs. They tried installing them onto my original rims and the tires (being 16") just spun on the rims and were too large. From my understanding Ferrari moved to the slightly larger 16" rim in late 1986. There was a casting marker on the inside of the rim indicating 12/85 mfr date and that matches my door vin marker indicating the same date. My Late 85, early 86 Mondial 3.2 has the R390 (TRX) diameter rim and can not use the less expensive 16" diameter BFG tire. I guess I have to save my money so I can put TRX's on my original rims.

12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Costco tried to put 16" tires on 390mm rims? Am I understanding you correctly?

But yeah, if you look at the first post and the one just above yours it shows the specs for both types of wheel/tires.

13. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  15. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    It was totally my fault. I did not understand the complexity of this situation and I showed them pics of BFG tires on what I thought was the same car rim (not knowing that Ferrari changed the rim diameter in later years) After we figured out they would not fit, Costco looked up in their tire bible and for 1985 it showed the 390 mm and 1986 it showed the 16" tire. That's when we found the casting marker identifying the 12/1985 mfr date.

I will keep reading this post as I enjoy being educated by my fellow Mondial family! Thanks for the info.

16. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    So many variations. It makes them more interesting and fun.