New Tires for Mondial t? | FerrariChat

New Tires for Mondial t?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by jimzdancewicz, Mar 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimzdancewicz

jimzdancewicz Karting

Mar 1, 2015
    Berwyn, PA
    Full Name:
    James Zdancewicz
    Any recommendations for new tires on a 93 Mondial t? Goodyear Eagles on now.
    Thanks

paulchua likes this.
  2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Got G-FORCE SPORT COMP-2

Great tire - good life.

ADVAN Neova AD08 I think are discontinued - most sticky - recommend those if you're looking for more grip - but they lasted me only 10K miles...

4. Incaico

Incaico Karting

Jun 13, 2020
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    JR Sandoval
    G-FORCE SPORT COMP-2. 225/50 front 245/50 rear

5. DavidB

DavidB Rookie

Mar 14, 2009
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    David Barnes
    If your car originally came with Michelin TRX tyres I recommend you go back to those.
    They are fabulous all round driving and touring tyres.
    And they fill out the wheel arch like they were designed to do. Car looks great.
    If you spend time on the track then you should have a dedicated set for that. Not TRX.
    TRX are hand made in France are available and not expensive.
    DavidB 1988 Mondial 3.2 Sydney Australia.

6. DavidB

DavidB Rookie

Mar 14, 2009
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    David Barnes
    The TRX only fits on the 390mm wheel not 16 inch.
    The wheel and tyre are a design match and you cannot put them on the 16 inch wheels.
    On the track the original tyre/wheel combo goes ok but when you are pushing it it suffers from
    under steer which of course you expect because it is designed into all cars as a safety feature.
    For the track I have a set of 16 inch wheels with TOYO Proxes R888R Semi Slick.
    They change the handling and it is beautifully neutral. No under steer, stick like glue.
    DavidB.

7. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    I think 500 Euros each tire for TRXs is rather expensive. And you will have to buy rims to match, though there are a lot available as many of us have switched. As you already have regular 16 in wheel rims, there are lots of high quality replacements for a third the price. I have Michelin Pilot sports on now and get great mileage and excellent grip and they do not give off a lot of road noise. I agree that there is some aesthetic difference with the TRXs but it is in the eye of the beholder and in the pocketbook of the owner.

8. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    I'm not sure where you are finding inexpensive TRX tires. The last time I looked, it was going to be well over $2000 for a set of four, and the date codes on those were four years old, even though they were being sold as new.

9. DavidB

DavidB Rookie

Mar 14, 2009
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    David Barnes
    Last year I paid $2400 Australian which is about 1500 Euro or about $1800 USD. Yes you can buy cheaper tyres for cheaper slower cars but that is a lot less than standard tyres for many Porsche Audi or any similar performance car. My tyres just arrived from the factory but yes be careful with age. If you want the speed rating then no tyre is cheap.

10. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I'm not the OP but based on this and other threads I decided to go with the BFGs. Tire rack had the G-FORCE SPORT COMP-2s on backorder so I went with the all season G-FORCE SPORT COMP-2 A/S PLUS. I ordered the factory 205/55 and 225/55 sizes. The tires are way better than the old Eagles that came off of the car. I took it to a track event with the new BFGs and they were excellent. However, the all seasons have a wrap around tread that just doesn't look right. I wouldn't buy the all seasons again for this reason. For my normal driving on the street I miss the old Eagles in that I could easily drift around corners and do show-off burnouts. The BFGs grip way too well for that stuff.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

WilyB and dmarti02 like this.
  11. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    I think the Mondial fitted the same 240/55R390 TRX tyre. I don't think it was untill the Mondial 3.2 that they moved to a smaller front 220/55R390 TRX. So the 8 and QV fitted 240/55R390 front and rear, and the QV and T had 220/55R390 front

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/ferrari/mondial.html

So on the subject of the understeering Mondial on the race track, was that the earlier car with the same size front and rear tyres or the later with the smaller fronts.

Another odd thing you might be able to help me with is, we have had a customer onto us recently fitting 200/60R390 TRX (a BMW tyre) it should have roughly the same diameter as a 220/55R390 i just wonder if they were fitted because they may have been easier to get or cheaper some time ago. or doers anyone know if Mondial has any history with this tyre size?

12. milko1969

milko1969 Formula 3

Feb 21, 2012
    Breda, Holland
    Full Name:
    Milko
    I have the same BF goodrich sport competition fitted but the front in 225 and in the back in 245 size which makes the car looking a lot more agressive. Not the all season versions.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

davebdave likes this.