New Tires 599 HGTE | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New Tires 599 HGTE

Discussion in '612/599' started by RKE599, Apr 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jonty- The MPS4S is the consensus best tire for the 599. They are a summer tire, but work fine in cooler weather if you do not push them until they warm a bit. If it is slushy outside, you would need to be very careful since the tires would have a hard time getting any temperature into them. Would not use them on snow covered roads except in an emergency, or not even then.

Hawkeye likes this.
  2. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I would echo what Terry said. I swapped my gated 430 to MPS4Ss last year, huge difference over nearly new P Zeros. I don’t use that car in winter, but I also swapped my C63 AMG 6.2 wagon from the same. On cold wet winter roads the grip difference is remarkable. And the ride is better. Wheelspin out of junctions no longer happens.
    We don’t get much snow in London, but they were a big improvement on chilly, greasy winter roads, as well as on summer roads.
    Be sure to get Pilot Sport 4S, not Pilot Sport 4. Very different tyres.

3. steve moody

steve moody Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Cape Coral, Florida 33914
    Full Name:
    steve moody
    I just replaced the original 2009 P-Zeros with 8100 miles on my 599 HGTE with the Michelin put the PS4s +1 size. Incredible is the only way I can describe the difference. The old P Zeros were hard as rocks due to age. They still had 6/32 F and 5/32R tread left but were noisy and simply would not hook up in the first 3 gears. The PS4s are MUCH quieter and there is no wheelspin at all in Sport mode. It simply goes and holds you back in the seat!

I went +1 size on my HGTE rims and they work and fit just fine. As Terry says, the actual diameter of the tires is almost the same as stock sizes. The computers do not see any problem. There is no fender clearance issue with the +1 sizes.

jimshadow and Skidkid like this.
  4. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    The Michelin MPS4S is no doubt the best tyre for the 599. I run 255 35 20 and 315 35 20 on my HGTE rims never had any problem with clearances or error codes.

What pressure is everyone running with their Michelins? I still use 32 psi front and 29 psi rear.

5. steve moody

steve moody Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Cape Coral, Florida 33914
    Full Name:
    steve moody
    Page 455 has a tire pressure chart that shows pressures for various tires used with the 60 F1 variant (I assume this is the HGTE because of the rim sizes quoted). For the MPS, the pressure is 2.6 bar front and 2.0 bar rear (37PSI Front, 29PSI Rear). With the +1 sizes, this might be reduced somewhat to achieve the same load at the tread. I am using 38/29 and +1 size MPS4S and I works great..

FIN612 likes this.
  6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Good point. My fronts are a bit lower and I was thinking it wasn't as crisp and controlled as I had earlier. I drive it a lot so don't check the pressure all that often. :)

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    On some cars, one can benefit from increasing pressure slightly compared to MPSS. Reason being the ever so slightly softer sidewall.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Too much tire pressure will wear the outsides of the tires, but most of us swap them on time (3-6 years depending on personal preferences) anyway, so not much impact.

FIN612 likes this.
  9. Justin Hughes

Justin Hughes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2020
    Oxfordshire - UK
    Full Name:
    Hughesie
    Interesting, I have my screen set up so I can see the pressures and temp as my home screen, that way I can push on as soon as they get up to temp :)

10. JayCee500

JayCee500 Rookie

Jul 24, 2020
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jonty
    Hi,
    I’ve been looking for a couple of sets of super sport 4 for a 599 and 575.
    So far can only locate pilot sport 4s in F1 or NO guise or pilot super sport in F2.
    I’m in the UK. Has anyone found 4s F2 or just gone with F1?
    Just put a set on a 2001 Boxster S and couldn’t believe how good they are.
    Cheers
    Jonny

11. Justin Hughes

Justin Hughes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2020
    Oxfordshire - UK
    Full Name:
    Hughesie
    MPS4S's are now replaced by the MPS5S's, try Costco, they seem to have a lot of them in stock at the moment, they seem to be working their way out into the market slowly.

Assume you mean K1 & K2's as well ??

JayCee500 likes this.
  12. JayCee500

JayCee500 Rookie

Jul 24, 2020
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jonty
    Hi,
    I’ve been looking for a couple of sets of super sport 4.
    So far can only locate pilot sport 4s in F1 or NO guise or pilot super sport in F2 and
    yes K. Thanks I’ll have a look at Costco

Justin Hughes likes this.
  13. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    You are lucky in Uk because in France Michelin does not offer MPS5S for 599 sizes, only MPS4S and MPS5. Maybe in the future ?

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    According to Michelin's website, there are no Michelin Pilot Sport 5S tires yet, just limited sizes of Michelin Pilot Sport 5 tires. Where are you finding Michelin Pilot Sport 5S tires?