New take on the 412 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New take on the 412

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by 400iGuy, Oct 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I dorve a regualr 456 and then spent a 10 hour day driving 456M. It pulled to a speed but never really happened, you never had that comming on cam and firing out a cannon feeling the sportier ferraris get, it was all linear with no real feeinbg of punch... The steering coudl have cone from old Gm in terms of numbness/feel, and the car would heel a lot on corners. Maybe its just a 2+2 thing, but no need for that esp since the ride was not plush. It felt bargy,

Both cars i drove were stick. Maybe its just how ferrari interpreted Gt. I hear the mechanicaly similar 550 is very different.

BTW I thought the 599 sucked too, it didnt really want to brake or turn in.

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

The Boxers are sort of 911ish at the limit, too much mass up high in the rear, and really crappy stock tires(TRX's) even for the period. On the other hand if you know what youre doing like 911's they're really rewarding to drive and can do things others cant't.

Personaly I always thought 400s were really nice cars, and I like the design and its understated elegance, so much more classy than many of ferraris more recent efforts, I laso like its contemproaries the V12 Jag XJS and the XJ12, plus a BMW M6.
    The mtor we know is a daytona block. However even if its stick its heavy, and has 70s power steering. I think they must make a great daily or useable classic, in many ways one of the last redoubts of the true ferrari enthusiast, I think the same thing about mondials and probably Trs. None of these cars yet have the "status" or value to be coveted by the poseur/concors crowd, so theyre affordable enough to be bought and driven by people who really just want to drive a cool ferrari to its potential.
    Boxers used to be like that too.

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    If you drove a boxer those words would never be spoken by you again.

4. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Hahaha! Dem's fightin' words

5. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Like I just said... fightin' words!

6. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Well I'm of the opinion that the naysayers here have the thought process that"Oh it's a 4 seat Ferrari so it must only be a cruiser"

You in fact know that that is not necessarily the case.

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The 2+2 is a cool car, I have one and want more of them but its a heavy car with an intended purpose. The BB has a different purpose. Its not good at carrying 4 people or luggage but it kicks butt and does things a sedan can't.

8. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    ....and this ^^ is unfortunately the reasoning of most of you here..

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who drives their manual 365/400 the way it was tuned and intended.

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

zzzzzzzzzzz

10. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    This is obviously NOT a good example of the marque being driven.

Iv'e been trying to find my copy of a series of videoettes my mate Carl888 (on here) made of one of our annual jaunts somewhere in Australia.

Unfortunately I can't and when he posted it on youtube there was an amount of hue and cry because it identified some other cars and the location of our little jaunt.

I can say though that it was nowhere near as sedentary as your posted video with an obviously hysterical handbrake in the car as well!

11. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    :) Yes, this is my 17425 at Fiorano. I had made the wrong move to switch to a modern electronic ignition before the trip and the new module decided to fail arriving in holly land, first partly, then completely on one side, starting at around 02:30 on the video. On that day, it was not the best form of 17425, but my chances of going back to Fiorano are slim, so I cherish this video in spite of the mediocre performance :)

Having said that, I completely agree that the 365/400/412 are not track cars, even though I do not mind (at my old age) driving them whenever the chance occurs at Le Mans, Spa, Fiorano etc...

12. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Ok my car has straight thru center sections on the exhaust. To be driving it at 60mph and drop it down into 3 and take it to redline in 3rd and 4th I don't see how in any way you could call it an unengaging car. Sure to really handle super well it needs wider tires but the suspension and steering are incredibly good. As good as a boxer or Daytona? Probably not but I bet it's pretty close. Sone one will have loan me their Boxer or Daytona for a weekend so I can make a detailed comparison. :)

simon klein likes this.
  13. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Here's ^^^ a bloke who know's what I'm going on about!

14. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    That's a fun modification but to be honest there is no real benefit. My brother has removed the first exhaust section on his 365 with mixed results: at low RPM the sound is fun but it is way to much loud above 4000rpm. On the open-road this is really painful. Also carbs are a hard to adjust: I know there is some play on the axles but I really suspect the modified exhaust has a lot to do with it. No way I would perform such a modification on my injected car as it would certainly play havoc with the k-jet. Maybe that one would get better results with the centre or final section of the exhaust though, but tuning an exhaust is not an easy task.

Last time I drove his cars on the high-way I took a Bose noise cancelling headphone for the kid that was scared by the noise...

15. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Changing exhaust has no effect on the k-jet.

The first thing I did with mine is yank the heavy middle section and replaced with straight pipes and running stock rear mufflers. Not too loud at all and runs great.

16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Any car about to pop the engine at redline is engaging especially if its still running the original exhaust valves.

Come up for a visit and Ill toss you the keys to my carb'd BB, see what you think.

17. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    #42 Ak Jim, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    I'll take your up on that offer. I actually shift at 6500 vs the 7000 rpm red line. Also all new valve seats, guides, valves and valve springs. Well they were installed 10,000 miles ago. So that's "new". Also I don't drive this car this way every time I drive it.
    Actually I'd be happy just going along for a ride while you do the driving. My Ferrari experience is limited to my car, a 400i with an automatic and a 308 so I'm hardly an expert.

18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

I have no problems handing you the keys but you'll be forever changed so you've been warned!

Yesterday (and Monday) I had 3 visitors from NY, made 3 new friends and had a great time! The funniest part was when I heard the floor mat got stuck and held the throttle open during a drive in my 400i. I said no need to worry, you have plenty of time to get it unstuck! It sure could use a 550 engine then there would be reason for concern if the throttle got stuck again.

19. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    I absolutely LOVE it!