'New' Stratos | Page 2 | FerrariChat

'New' Stratos

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by damian in nj, Jul 28, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I think some look like those drawings turning people into cartoons. The ones you get at fairs, etc...

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    But do they have to look like every other Mustang since 1964?

Retro design STIFLES creativity. I'm not saying it's ugly. I'm saying its an easy out for Marketing people -- who really run Car Design.

3. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #28 TheMayor, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Yes, including the GT.

How do we know what it would have looked like if they didn't try to make it look like the original

The last 2 versions look really good. I'm not saying they are not attractive. They started with something really attractive so they should look good.

But where did the original Ford GT come from that sparked these 2 follow ups? And where is the future of car design if we just keep copying over and over something from 60 years ago?

This "retro trend" started in the 90's and is still with us today. Its time to move on.

I own a Mini. I own it not because the looks remind me of 1963 but because it's a really good car for its class. Would I like it more if it didn't look like every other model? Maybe but I'll never know. And the Countryman? What a freakin' disaster along with the Fiat 500L and the new Fiat 124 spider. Horrific, along with the Ford Thunderbird and Chrysler PT Cruiser.

jm2 likes this.
  4. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Retro Ford Thunderbird looked like a cartoon car and that's why it didn't sell well.

jm2 likes this.
  5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The 2002 T bird was such a poser mobile even their ad celebrated posing.

6. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    I think bringing back the old designs is fine, there was a lot more diversity back then because the designers weren't handcuffed so much by aerodynamics and they were able to use chrome/stainless trim. I would love to see another Stratos, Iso Grifo, Alpine, Dino or Mangusta.

7. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    MAPS, jm2 and NeuroBeaker like this.