New Race Series with ALMS- Unlimited Racing Championships | Page 4 | FerrariChat

New Race Series with ALMS- Unlimited Racing Championships

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Andog, Sep 18, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  2. PCA Hack

PCA Hack Formula Junior

May 9, 2008
    Rancho Santa Fe, CA
  3. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    BTW, the Unlimited Racing Championship is DOA. No takers...

4. PCA Hack

PCA Hack Formula Junior

May 9, 2008
    Rancho Santa Fe, CA
    Who saw that coming? If ever there was a can't miss series...

5. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    MASSIVE rules are what screw up series.

I have been saying that for five years here alone.

'Michelin Green X Challenge-because that's what race fans want to see.'
    ??? WTH is that? Apparently 'fans' don't want to see it or we all would know all about it, I've never heard of it.

This is my .02, we need some sort of series that, basically guys can go fast in, cheaply, but you also have to find a way to limit it so guys don't come in with 50 million bucks and just BUY wins.
    The really bad analogy is look what happened to IRL once Penske came onboard. Generally speaking, money DOES buy championships and wins, if not with being able to purchase the best hardware then with purchasing the best talent, R&D, testing.

I have been saying here for years what (I think) folks want is a series like the old Can-Am or F5000 but you will have to limit it to 'crate' motors and have a claim in place, and also an automatic impound of the motor of selected competitors.
    Listen, I am not a fan of crate motors or of claiming, but unless you have MASSIVE rules in place AND the expertise to look for rules violaters, that's all you can do.

There has to be a chassis that can be developed and sold for $50,000 TOPS, and you can get top-line V8 crate motors for $15,000 (between $5-25k actually, depending on what you want).

Are we making a series to draw fans? No, we are creating a series to RACE in. The last time I looked the SCCA NATS didn't draw huge fans. Be honest with yourself, the USA is now a stick and ball society, racing is never going to be what it used to be. Hell, look at the empty seats at Indy.
    If anyone says they are going to make money racing, they are either lying, or clueless.
    1% of the racing teams (if that) actually make a profit, and it's not you or me.

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The 24 Hours of Nurburgring is such a race. There are Factory teams and well funded privateers but there are also a huge number of regular racers on reasonable budgets who have a great time.

250,000 fans. Many hours of TV (Europe) a 12 euro pass gets you into the pits. Camping is free. Live Strip Girls. P 4/5 C, what's not to like?

7. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    sarcasm?

Crate engines won't do it. Teams then have to buy 5 engines to use 1 of them. Money always buys championships in spec series.

8. PCA Hack

PCA Hack Formula Junior

May 9, 2008
    Rancho Santa Fe, CA
    My comments about the Green X rubbish were said tongue-in-cheek. I should have include the emoticon with the rolling eyes. At any rate, your "WTH" reply nicely illustrates the point that the ALMS higher ups have made mistake upon mistake as it relates to their marketing strategy.

9. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    they HAVE a marketing strategy!?!

:)

10. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Live Strip Girls, well that caught my attention! Pics Please

11. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Exactly.

There are SOME races like that, but I was talking a series.

Elkhart Lake has a decent event, and you can argue for Sebring and LeMans, but *I* cannot go there (Sebring, etc.) and expect to be competitive unless I have a fair budget. I am not going to race in F1 if I have a Cosworth, that simply don't do it today.

Guys, I don't know how you can have a series that MONEY cannot buy you good results, and I mean if you were to start a series in the USA, not on the world level Mr. Jim takes part in. Look at what the rules have done to Jim's efforts, they have limited his horsepower, that makes it a hellva lot more expensive.

You can show a lot of examples of how a 'little guy' won a big race or a big championship, but I'm talking being in the hunt everywhere you go, not just in a few one-offs. ('In the hunt' means not being 10 seconds or more off the pace)

12. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  13. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  14. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Hello and Wow can you get any cooler, even more respect to you!

15. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    So I was about to make a post about this series but "I searched'dd" and want to ask if this series has made it to the track?

16. PCA Hack

PCA Hack Formula Junior

May 9, 2008
    Rancho Santa Fe, CA
    Dead Before Arrival

17. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Man that sucks!!! :(

18. rydermike

rydermike Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2010
    Spring Hill,FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Donohue
    At $495,000 , may as well vintage race the real one's !

19. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Strictly my opinion but if I owned a vintage Can-Am racer I would not risk racing it in a "real" race as there is just too much of a risk at damaging "original" parts.

20. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Then why do many people (a dozen at last count) regularly race their 250 GTO's? And many more than that race REAL Can-Am cars?!?!?

Ultimate was a stupid idea, rightfully dead.

21. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Do you honestly believe or think that those people are truelly "racing"? Sorry but I'm not an idiot and have enough knowledge to know that such classic race cars are raced within a "gentleman racer's" perspective, just my opinion.

22. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Hah! You should be out there with them!

Your statement is without specific knowledge. Period.

23. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #98 texasmr2, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
    Well just because you portray yourself as a "driving coach" does not make you the mentor for all involved, fly me in for a few laps with equal cars ;) and lets see? :)

We are just tossing around different opinions and I never said mine was 100% correct, can you say the same? Do not answer that because I know the reply already.:D

Just simple banter so I hope you do not take my comments as disrespectfull :) .

24. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Not sure why you've decided to go negative, but I don't need to "portray" my bona fide occupation and yes, I'm faster than you in any car you'd like to try. ;)

No, my statement that several people race irreplaceable F-cars is a fact, based on working with, being on track with and personally observing drivers doing just that over the last three decades.

Take a look at the Reunion race at Monterey last year or the Goodwood Revival for some serious racing, far better than most SCCA or NASA Club Racing and with drivers that are former F1, LeMans and Indy Car winners...

25. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    This thread was initially about replica Can Am cars running as a support series for ALMS. It was announced with a great deal of fanfare without any foundation or any support other than the constructor and promotors backing.

It was DOA and anybody familiar with historic racing in the US knew it then.