New owner of 400i project with lots of first-time questions | FerrariChat

New owner of 400i project with lots of first-time questions

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by preston400i, Dec 26, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. preston400i

preston400i Karting

Dec 26, 2006
    Hello to all,

I recently acquired a 400i project car. You may remember it from eBay about two or three months ago: it's the black one that a tree supposedly fell on, although after studying it I happen to think it rolled. The car seems quite strong mechanically, and I've driven it around the block a few times even with no windshield and a crushed roof. It came with an extra body tub, so repairing it should be fairly straightforward.

I'm confident in doing the work and servicing myself, but what I need to find are some good sources of parts and expertise. From searching online it seems that the 400i is sort of an orphan model as far as parts availability is concerned, especially in the US. (I'm looking for a windshield, a TRX wheel, and both front signal lenses for starters, in case anyone has these things lying around) Eurospares seems like the best place I've found so far, but with the exchange rate being relatively unfavorable is there a better source? Are there people I should get to know? I'm looking to get pointed in the right direction so I can get started with the project.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Preston in CO

2. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Talk to Michael Rosenstraten at Ferrari Service of Costa Mesa. I heard he has a 400 parts car and he tons of parts around as well.... He can be reached at 949 548-9541 Tell him Ed Parker with the silver 308 sent you. Best of luck.

3. ed_and_tonny

ed_and_tonny Karting

Aug 4, 2006
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed Quillian
    Don't get too attached to the 400i that Michael has. We just agreed on a price and unless something comes up this week, I'll be purchasing that one next week.

4. jgcferrari

jgcferrari Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 21, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jose
    Hi

Im about to finish the restoration on my 1977 400, and the best advice I can give you is to buy parts in Europe they are much easier to find, I got most from Ferrari of Houston and got almost everything although it took more time to find the parts.

Regards

5. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    You might check a recent Hemmings and look for a guy named Fred Petroske in upstate New York.

From time to time he has had Ferrari 400i parts cars.

John

6. DzusFast

DzusFast Karting

Aug 20, 2005
    Tahoe/Reno
    Full Name:
    Elmer Fudd Gantry
  7. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Especially recommended if you have a need for a Ferrari/Part/Sex/Change!

(sorry, couldn't resist!)

John

8. DzusFast

DzusFast Karting

Aug 20, 2005
    Tahoe/Reno
    Full Name:
    Elmer Fudd Gantry
    OMG ROLMFAOFF I never noticed that........... You've got to hold some high position in some corporation and get paid well as they take advantage of such abstract/lateral thinking.

(j/k) ;)

9. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    The first time my wife saw me on that site she said, "What ARE you looking at?!"