New Ninja 250R $3500! | FerrariChat

New Ninja 250R $3500!

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Akira, Sep 25, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Akira

Akira Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2003
  2. 125KG

125KG Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 20, 2007
    N/A
    I think it'll cost a lil bit more than 3500 but anyway I'll take this one ( used ) as my 1st ( unless suzuki will make it's 250) , I love it

3. RoWis

RoWis F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Vancouver, B.C.
    I wanna get this!!

4. Akira

Akira Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2003
    MSRP is $3499. You should be able to get it for $3499+tax.

5. 125KG

125KG Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 20, 2007
    N/A
    I just checked Vancouver prices for 04-05 250s Kawis - 4000-4500.3500 for new here in Van is impossible.Cheaper to get some 600cc's from mid-90s.But the freakin point is - I'll kill myself if I'll get 600 as my first.Wth with our 250cc prices ((((( Fockin Vancouver prices

6. 125KG

125KG Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 20, 2007
    N/A
    Probably in States It'll be like that , but here they ask 4500 for 05 so I expect that brand new will be like 5000.And 5000 for 250 is not cool

7. OC Speed Junkie

OC Speed Junkie Formula 3

Aug 6, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    600's are a good size for your first bike. 250's are fun, but really don't have that much power. Good as a learner bike for a few weeks, but I really think it would only be a few weeks before you wish you had gotten something with some more getup. For 3500 you can get a good condition few year old 600. But on a positive note, good look and style for a ninja.

8. 125KG

125KG Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 20, 2007
    N/A
    I saw kids on their first 600/750 .... Well yeah It's just my point of view.However price for this new 250 is still a big question for me.Would be nice to know specs of this bike too.And yeah this one looks cool , old zzr250 was fugly.

9. Pranucci

Pranucci Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    Carpinteria, CA
    Get a used bike until you know whether or not you like to ride. Then get something newer/bigger. A 250 will get old real fast if you decide to keep riding.
    IMHO $3500 is too much for a first bike.Although Kawasaki does make good bikes, go for something bigger and be careful out there.

10. Razzer92

Razzer92 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2006
    Sweet bike, if i got that i would go with lime green and black..

11. RoWis

RoWis F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Vancouver, B.C.
    I've always loved the Ninja's, I was thinking about getting a late 1990's Ninja as my first bike or even a late 2000 Yamaha R1.

12. mls

mls Karting

May 1, 2005
    People still want up to AUD$8K for 15 year old CBR250RR's here...

13. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    If you are really wanting to learn just do what I did. Do not go with this small bike. Ask your good friend with a Yamaha fj1100 if you can drive it around a few hours, jump on it and take off, no need for a helmut, why can't you ride a bike with shorts on, it's also fine if you get on the highway after 5 minutes.

What an idiot I was, too be young.

I did have a few 100 hours on a 70cc honda passport at that time, so that gave me all the experience I needed.

14. 125KG

125KG Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 20, 2007
    N/A
    Thats just crazy.

Pranucci
    Yeah , Thats what I was thinking about.Better to take old cheap bike.

RoWis
    Hey , you loved em? I am afraid of ninjas ))))

I wish they all ( suzuki , etc) had 400cc sportbike - no need to buy/sell 250 and still not as dangerous as 600.Suzuki had nice 400cc gixxer , but I didnt see anyone selling it here

15. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Just looked this up locally.

A dealer Manassas VA is offering it for $2999. Not a bad bike for the $$ i suppose.

16. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    The Good: The 2008 does, in fact, look quite tasty in person and has scaled up very well in size - Moreso than in pics. You'd simply never know it was a 250.

The Bad: However, as I've seen on a few bike sites, and found for myself, Dealer OTD price gouging is in effect. Not everywhere, mind you, as some Dealers remember a thing or two about the potential of repeat business, but, fair warning is what this post is for.

'How much out the door?'

"A little over 5000." [mumbles vaguely about slew of import fees, docs, reg. etc.]

'More like 5100, then, huh?' [as witnessed on some bike sites]

"Um, yeah. 5100 would be about right."

'No. [beat] No, it wouldn't.' [smile]

So, out the door I calmly went, sans a 3500, excuse me 5000+ Toy.

When somebody tries to **** me, I walk. I may be dumb, but I ain't stupid.

Nevertheless, a couple of positive reviews have sprung up with this very late arrival to US shores - on AMA and some other bike site of some note.

So, if you can find an honest Dealer out there, man, go for the Cheap Thrills.

17. Fnix

Fnix Karting

Jun 23, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Cheap for someone who wants a new vehicle to get from work to home.

Save money and gas!

18. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Before I broke my back racing moto-X I had a Hurricane 600 that was AWESOME, and we were thinking of getting a bike for my wife and I was thinking the EX500 (I think that was the designation anyway), but if this bike had been around then, it would have been more than a thought, I would have bought her one of these! Cool ride! Incidentally I called around and got my '88 Hurricane new out the door for $3650! Isn't that SCARY?! What a great bike that was! I put 12k miles on it in 3 years before I had the accident. That bike ROCKED!

19. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    I ride bikes too and the way I see it is IF you are into motorcycling, not just for commuting etc... Get a used/older bigger capacity unit to learn/practise on. The 250cc bikes are okay for a first timer but you'd get used to it pretty fast and you'd be hankering for more power...like 3 days after you're used to it..:)

600cc bikes like a CBR600F2/F3 (US Designation, I think..) should be a great learner's bike. It's a great bike to learn to ride, be it safely and aggresively. Sporty and powerful enuff to even go higher up on the handling front like counter steering etc.....and are quite reliable and well built.

400cc bikes are 'pocket-rockets' actually and they're very peaky units. We have it here in Malaysia as 'Grey Imports' since they're actually Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) units that caters to the Japanese law of taxes. They're actually scaled down,i.e smaller vershs of their 750 race-rep brothers usually and revs to 16-20k rpm. Being small, it's a pain for anyone who's above 5'5". I had a VFR400RR for my first bike, which is a copy of the RC-30, down to the SS swing arm. Looks great, handles excellently in the twisties but I ached all over since I'm 5'10"...:)

Prices of bikes in MY are nuts actually, same as cars. We have a 150-300% tax imposed for bikes as well since they're considered 'luxury' thingies... Eg: '07 Ninja ZX-6 at USD 15k, '07 Yamaha R1 at USD23k and the Ducati 1098R, special order only at USD50k++:(

20. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I agree if you have some good riding experience a 600 is not a bad place to start at all.

Interesting that you bring up the 400's! I was just about to place an order for a JDM NC30 (I think that is the copy of the RC30) before I broke my back. There was a company in CA bringing them in gray market for $8600. I would have preferred and RC30 (and might have ended up with one anyway) but at the time they were $18k IF you could even find one and that was way out of my price range at that time. The nearly $9k was really pushing it. As it turned out I am sure glad I did not place that order 3 months earlier when I first considered it! Probably would have come home from the hospital to see my brand new SUPER COOL, super rare bike sitting in the garage never to be ridden by me! That would have SUCKED! I had my friend who was with at the time of the accident sell all my bikes before I got out of the hospital as it was.

One of these days I am going to get all the info from a guy I know in CA who set up a CBR900RR with retractible supports (landing gear as he called them) and an air shifter so he could ride it! Would love a Hyabusa!

21. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Is a modern 250 enough to commute at highway speeds for an average size guy (5'9", 170 lbs?) I wouldn't mind an alternative to the truck.

22. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    Yep, NC30 is the 'copy' of the RC30. Manufacturer's full moniker is VFR400RR and VFR750RR respectively. There's also CBR400RR with inline 4, copy of the 'Blade, and for Suzooks, GSXR-400RR (mini 750 Gixxer with cradle frame), Kwaks, ZXR400RR. Up until year 2000, the JDM market 750cc and above bikes were pegged at 100ps. The Japanese manufacturers sells the 750s and open-class bikes worldwide with 120-170bhp but their homemarket had to suffer the speed limit and the speedo runs up until 180km/h whereby the speed limiter will come to play...:(

Tillman, yes, you could commute comfortably on a modern 250 for commuting as per your given 'anthropometrical specification'.:)

Edit : 'Modern' 250 such as the new Ninja 250 etc..not the race-rep CBR250RR/ZXR250RR (nope, you guys don't have these in the 'States, I believe) thingies...

23. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    An R1 for a first bike is suicide, way too much bike. Look for a mid 90's 600 and you will find a good first bike. The new 600's and any liter bike just has too much power for a beginner. Any R1 will do 160 plus, and it isn't just the top speed, it's how fast you get to that speed. I ride a Ducati 748 and my neighbor has an 02 R1. The acceleration is insane. It is like you are shot out of a cannon. Plus it is a sneeky speed. The Ducati makes all kinds of noise with the dry clutch, intake honk and the v-twin just yelling at you. The R1 is whisper quiet and before you know it you are at 140 to 150 MPH. I have been at 140 on a race track an had him pass me doing 160 or so, never heard him coming.

If you have to buy new get an Suzuki SV650 (great deals on used ones too). They have 75bhp or so and there are tons of aftermarket street and race parts. They are far more capable than the average rider and a top choice for track day riders and club racers. Get a small bore bike and take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course, race track instruction and learn to be fast on that small bike. Then you will be fast on any bike. It is all about carrying corner speed. I love to see the guys on liter bikes that will hold it WFO on the straights and then practically walk it through the turns. Anyone can go fast in a straight line. Good luck guys and please wear all of your safety gear. Helmet, gloves, jacket, jeans at a minimum. (even on a 250)

24. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Totally agree! In fact I tell anyone who will listen and is looking at street bikes to go out and get a dirt bike first (4 stroke 250 would actually be a good place to start) and play on the dirt for AT LEAST A YEAR before they even THINK about riding on the street. You really need to learn how to slide a bike around on the dirt first before you get a nasty surprise on the street...YMMV!

25. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    You'll be fine, but you will be wanting something more substantial in no time. Only drawback to the 250 is that it has almost as much torque as an electric toothbrush, which can get annoying.

Look at these two, only $5k new:

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/GS500FK8
    or
    http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=265