New Mondial 8 Fuse Box Project | Page 6 | FerrariChat

New Mondial 8 Fuse Box Project

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by DougS026, Sep 23, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    As I suppose what we are doing is replacing the printed circuit card in the fusebox, how difficult is the card to remove from the fusebox? I am imagining we need one of those vacuum de-soldering tools and do every pin station?

2. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Sheet of brass is in my hands, need go-ahead to lazer cut pins.... (0.86 ea)

3. Rival

Rival Formula Junior

May 12, 2005
    Misipi
    WOW! That almost makes me think this thing could finally actually happen!.......Since the brass is in-hand, and since the plan for cutting / price for the pins have both been established, in whose court does "the ball" now reside?

4. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    I can order the pins today,,,, $ 688.88 total, 800 ct.

But, cash talks. $$$$ ( And, I already owe Scott $ 1,000.00)

I would order them on good faith, but.,,, my F-Car hobby coffer is a little low right now, you know,,,,, just got a new car... even though $ 1695.00 is to be returned at a later date, but not yet. (see my thread, "Cheap ferrari,, Free Shipping!)

Ideas,,, ?

Edwardo

5. DougS026

DougS026 Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Doug S
    Edwardo,

Hold on, don't pay for the pins just yet. I'll check with Jeff where he is at with the project. The last we talked he added up the costs and his cost (including your pins) was at around $1k without labor. He is reconsidering going back to just making the circuit board and rebuilding current boxes.

He still has to reverse engineer some of the circuits as well. I should be seeing Jeff Friday so I'll try to get an update this weekend.

Doug

6. DougS026

DougS026 Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Doug S
    The card is very easy to remove, nothing more than a few screws. Jeff is looking at going back to just building the circuit card populated with the pins. We will have to reuse the holders.

7. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    less I'm mistaken isn't the card where the problem lies anyway? So if that the case a new board could be fitted to the existing frame and relay holders?

8. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Well, I'm ready today. The car is now down engine out for several other upgrades and this would trump them all. Can I have an uprated card kit ready in 2 weeks to install in my box?
    :)

9. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    Okay guys, I have been silent for a while.

One of the problems that you will face, as I have, is finding a modern PCB that will take the current of some of the circuits in the original design. I have solved the problem but it has taken two years to do so. By the way the connections to the PCB are easily overcome.

My final task was to keep the fuse box footprint (and other dimensions) the same as the original. I'm also going to make use of the sixth layer of the new board for extra circuits, however, the relays and fuses for these extra circuits will be in a separate unit linked to the main box.

I have not rushed this project as my timing was to arrange everything to be ready for the assembly of the first Monzer and as this will happen in the third quarter of this year, it's time to pull the stops out.

Prices from my supplier will be competitive for a much improved, reliable fuse box.

10. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    To clarify, this will be a direct plug-in replacement available third quarter (July/Aug/Sep) that bolts up with the original connectors?
    Thanks

11. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    Yes (see below)

That's the target, all going well and not too many ships sinking.

Still looking at the connectors as they are part of the problem. My preferred solution is new connectors. You will need to transfer the wires from the original connectors to the new ones - a one time only simple job.

12. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    So by Sep, there will be a plug-n'-play box requiring only that the owner swap the connectors on the loom side.
    And based on what you are saying, for less than US $1K per copy.

As compared to the other developing option which is a stock box retaining the existing connectors and original appearance but with a more robust printed circuit (PC). The owner would be required to replace the PC in the original box for this arrangement.

Just trying to lay things out for my simple mind here.

13. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    Will this use the new style fuses, or will this still use the older Euro style fuses? Not to look a gift horse in the mouth or anything... but it would be so nice to be able to use a modern fuse. But I'm sure the folks at the local auto parts store wouldn't be happy. I bought out their entire stock of European style fuses so I could replace all the fuses in my newly acquired Mondial.

Bob

14. DougS026

DougS026 Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Doug S
    Well guys, some bad news from my side. I talked to Jeff Friday (the engineer working on the project) and he lost interest in the project. He is tied up in another project for the Acura boys and hasn't had much time to spend on this.

The good news is it looks like Zertec has a solution. Suggest you go with his as I don't know if Jeff is going to pick up on this again or not.

15. Rival

Rival Formula Junior

May 12, 2005
    Misipi
    Seems as though this is where the "other projects" have ended up each time.....Zertec, we're counting on you to have the determination to carry through!

16. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    It will happen.

17. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    #142 Zertec, Jul 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    very cool!
    waiting hopefully.

19. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    That's a good start!!

20. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    FWIW,

Guys there is a Cover on ebay now...! Currently (60.00 usa)

Item number: 320132405478

I have no time or cash to get it,
    Good luck.
    Edwardo

21. rogermrm

rogermrm Rookie

Oct 27, 2007
    Did this project come to fruition, is there a contact email add, if not can some one give me contact details for a supplier of a revamped fuse box - complete with PC boards, fuse block and relay sockets.
    Also a supplier for new relays - always the optimist.

22. RichardAguinsky

RichardAguinsky Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2007
    Palo Alto, Californi
    Full Name:
    Richard Aguinsky
    +1.

Are there any drawings, pictures, etc on the fuel pump relay fix? I like the idea of putting that single circuit outside of the fuse box and connector. There is the mention of the dremel, but no pictures.

Cheers

Richard

1984 Mondial QV

23. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Maybe I was lucky but I started to have issues (82 mondi QV) and the large block connector facing the inside of the car from the fuse board had burnt, I think the fuel pump and AC relay? Got a replacement block plus connectors from Recambri (brilliant service guys) and my local auto tech rewired. All problems soved.......so far! (that was about a year ago)

24. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Is there a consensus on replacing/repairing a Mondial 3.2 fuse board? I am aware of GT Auto Parts (which requires sending your's to them and takes longer) and Scuderia Rampante Innovations (seems to be a plug in and go replacement). Any ideas and/or prices?

25. Franz Dieter Seiwert

Mar 11, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Franz Dieter Seiwert
    Hi
    does your fusebox work, or is it still a fantasy? I have purchase one from Hongkong, but it dont work. If you want to know wether or not the fusebox from a Eurpean Mondial 8 fits to a US Mondial Quadrovalvole, I can find it out. I would like to have one that really works. If you have the possibillity to bild one you are my hero.
    Sincerely yours
    Franz