NEW MODEL KIT THREAD | Page 166 | FerrariChat

NEW MODEL KIT THREAD

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by F1tommy, Jan 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Hi Richard,
    The sizes of the tires are definitely an issue on this model. I believe the tires are undersize as the wheels for front should be 6" x 16" and rears 7" x 16". The wheel spoking pattern is fine. Previously we discussed as to whether or not wheels & tires from the MFH Ferrari 250 TR would be better to use or not, and those were the ones that we noted wheels were wrong type. As mentioned the sizes of what comes with the MFH DBR1 kit are an issue. I've done extensive work & research over the years of Aston's. I used to do some work for AML, as well as a lot of work for both owners of AML in the 198os-early '90s. Have been closeup with numerous cars including a few DBR1's and both of the DBR2's. Model making is my full time business. As far as the correct color goes, well regardless of what most people will say, the color did vary. And now it varies even more. Good example is when Aston Martin was the featured marque at the Monterey Historics in 1989. I remember looking at 12 plus restored racing Aston's, all lined up together in the paddock, and each was a different shade of Aston Martin racing Green! You also have to be extremely careful if looking at any photos (new or old) for color reference - photos can be very misleading, and many model manufacturers have made big mistakes with color based solely on photos. Good luck with your build, I know we'd all like to see it.

2. Rich5ltr

Rich5ltr Rookie

Jun 18, 2021
    Full Name:
    Richard Branch
    #4127 Rich5ltr, Jun 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    Hi Lusso, yes the 16" rims are fine as they measure 17.4" over the outside lip. The tyres should be larger and more balloon shaped...

I agree on the colour issue: like you I have seen several DBR1s and DB3Ss up close and none are now what I believe was the colour used by AM back in '59, I am sure it was darker than that usually used now days. I'm awaiting admission to the Model Factory Hiro Builds Facebook group. I will be interested to see what's there.

3. G.C.Singhof

G.C.Singhof Karting

Mar 2, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang Singhof
    Another, my, 5 cent on Hiro´s DBR1 tyres and wheels .

For the Dunlop Racing tyres the cars wear today, Longstonetyres UK shows this data:

Dunlop 6.00 L16 (front)

actual width 201mm - 1/12 = 16,75 mm - against Hiro 14,7mm
    overall diameter inflated 708mm - 1/12 = 59mm - against Hiro 56,5mm

Dunlop 6.50 L16 (rear)

actual width 227mm - 1/12 = 18,9mm - against Hiro 17,2mm
    overall diameter inflated 729mm - 1/12 = 60,75 - against Hiro 59,6mm

So Hiro´s tyres in fact are too small in diameter and width. With the front worse than the rear.
    At least against the Dunlop Racing tyres seen today on the cars.

see here
    https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/600l16-cr48-r6-dunlop-racing.html
    https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/tyres/650-16/650l16-cr48-r6-dunlop-racing.html

for the wheels:

I got a perfect - far distance- sideshot of DBR1/2 at LeMans Classic 2006
    Bringing to the scale 1/12 wheelbase of 190,5 mm, tyres match exact to Longstones data

The visible diameter of the wheels you might argue from 36,8 to 37 mm

With Hiro´s s diameter being exact 37mm.

37mm does not make 17 inch. As the (visible) rim flange is not included in 16 inches, but comes in addition.

And when I compare Hiro's wheels with RM Sotheby's pictures of DBR1/1, at least my conclusion is that they are correct in terms of the lacing.

(https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/mo17/monterey/lots/r159-1956-aston-martin-dbr1/430300)

Wolfgang

F1tommy likes this.
  4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Thank you Wolfgang. You confirmed what Rich already had hinted at(loudly :))..........

5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    On posted on F1m also as several on that site were also curious.

6. G.C.Singhof

G.C.Singhof Karting

Mar 2, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang Singhof
    On posted where?
    Wolfgang

7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    f1m.com

That is a F1 modeling site but they love MFH kits so they try to guess what they are.

8. Rich5ltr

Rich5ltr Rookie

Jun 18, 2021
    Full Name:
    Richard Branch
    #4133 Rich5ltr, Jun 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    Hi guys, the only thing is that Aston used AVON Racing tyres in the 50s at Le Mans. David Brown got a good deal with them in exchange for the promotion - I guess you'd call it an early form of sponsorship! That said, I am sure the Avons were more or less the same size as the Dunlops so it seems the tyres are too small. So, this begs the question, has anyone identified some slightly larger tyres?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Avon by Richard Branch, on Flickr

9. G.C.Singhof

G.C.Singhof Karting

Mar 2, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang Singhof
    Thank you Tom, did not know f1m.com

Richard, you are right on the Avon tyres.
    I also did see it before, just did only find data on the Dunlop Tyres.
    Thats been the reason I included "tyres the cars wear today".
    From original 1959 pictures I´d guess the Avons even a bit more "balloon".
    But I am reluctant to interpret pictures - so I was searching for best data I could get.

Thank you
    Wolfgang

10. G.C.Singhof

G.C.Singhof Karting

Mar 2, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang Singhof
    The old Retrotoys kit got Dunlop-marked tyres 6.00 x 16 with diameter 58,8mm and with 14,8mm. Good against Longstone data.
    But only same size front and rear. Not includes the rears bigger 6.50 x 16. So does not help much.

Wolfgang

11. G.C.Singhof

G.C.Singhof Karting

Mar 2, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang Singhof
    Sorry, looked at wrong line in my notes, Retrotoy´s diameter is good, but also small against Longstone.
    Wolfgang

12. G.C.Singhof

G.C.Singhof Karting

Mar 2, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang Singhof
    Ah, meaning in terms of width they are small - I need more coffee!

13. Rich5ltr

Rich5ltr Rookie

Jun 18, 2021
    Full Name:
    Richard Branch
    I suspect you are correct about the 'balloon' sidewall of the '50s Avons, Wolfgang.
    Although they are copies of historic tyres the modern Dunlop Racing tyres are of a more modern construction.

14. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Pretty nice looking models from Mezzo Mix Models of the 917/10, printed. They have a full kit with decals in 1/12th scale that looks fantastic and a 1/24th slot body and soon a full 1/24th 917/10 kit with decals. Very well designed parts. I ordered 1 of each.

Top 1/12th kit and bottom 1/24th kit.

Überblick der möglichen Printfiles aus PETG Filament in 1/12 Scale - mezzo-mix-models-modeling (jimdo.com)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    A better picture of the 1/24th 917/10 kits body. I ordered it and I should have the printed parts in a few weeks.

Attached Files:

16. Kitbash

Kitbash Karting

Dec 13, 2012
    How much was the 1/24th version, Tom? I went to the website and only saw a price on the 1/12 one.....And you're right...it looks really good, especially cosidering it's a printed kit..

17. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    The FPPM Ferrari 410 SA Ghia in 1/24th scale is ready.

For the Mezzo Mix 1/24th 917/10 kit I think he said 90 Euro for the full kit but email him to confirm.

18. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    One of my friends Akira Mizorogi in Japan built the Meng 1/24th GT40. The body looks nice other than the light and nose issues wich don't look as bad with orange paint over the lights. One thing he confirmed are the Meng wheels are bigger than the Fujimi wheels wich is wrong. But they did correct the low Fujimi GT40 roof wich always drove me nuts when I would look at it. So sub Fujimi wheels and maybe a Fujimi front clip(or maybe not. I will know when I get my Meng kit) onto the Meng body.

gt4me likes this.
  19. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I think printed models will get even bigger in the future and may take over some day. For now they are still experimenting with the learning curve taking a few years as printers get better and better.

Here is a company that makes 1/24th and 1/32nd slot bodies that look very nice indeed other than the printing quality. The shapes look almost perfect so someone must have scanned the real cars and adjusted where needed. It can be very tricky, just ask Hiro :) Area 71's website is still under construction but they seem to make around 15 bodies so far and have a facebook page. The Jaguar Broadspeed and XJ13 are very nice looking bodies.

The Area71 Slotcars | Facebook

Home (thearea71.com)

rei24 and gt4me like this.
  20. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  21. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  22. rei24

rei24 Karting

Apr 12, 2009
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Klaus
    Amazing! Already ordered and paid - really look forward to it!:)

23. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    furmano, red27 and Rosey like this.
  24. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I finally received my Meng 1/24th scale Ford GT40 MKII kit and have to say they captured the shape very well other than in the headlight area wich can be easily corrected by carving the outside lip farther down, or you can cover them with tape like they started the race. The fit of the bodywork is amazing and the overall design of the kit is very good. The wheels are one thing that has to go. Use the Fujimi wheels and tires(maybe you can use the front tires from the Meng kit on the Fujimi wheels but that is it. Rear tires are way to small. The wheels are huge and way over sized, much bigger than the Fujimi wheels and I am 100% sure they are not correct). Buy this kit and sell your Fujimi kits, minus wheels :) The engine detail is also good but will require detailing to make it proper.

Lusso123 likes this.
  25. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Photos of the 1/24th Meng GT40 MKII with Fujimi wheels and rear tire and Meng front tire. The Meng tires have a more correct tire tread pattern but the rear tire is way to small so only use fronts. The shape is much better in almost every way compared to Fujimi. The Fujimi roof is to low and in general just not as good. Notice the correct hump over the from wheel, much flatter on the Fujimi.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

humberto rosario likes this.