NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER) | Page 50 | FerrariChat

NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER)

Discussion in '296' started by ajr550, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Little brother announced in April. 2 years after the Sf90. Production begins end of the year with first deliveries in 2022. F8 production ends in 2022.

D11, Shack and Senna1994 like this.
  2. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    This is what I have heard as well that LB replaces the F8 and SF90 top dog, kind of like when we had Dino, Daytona/365 BB...Just interesting that LB will sold along F8.

MANDALAY likes this.
  3. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I was told the reason for the side by side selling of the LB and F8 was due to the stuff up of the 488 GTB. They diluted the brand because of the delay in the LB.

Sales of the 488 GTB were going down and Ferrari needed another car in between.

The sales model has been reviewed so this doesnt happen again Ferrari is releasing MORE models with lower volumes to keep demand up. In this way the values of the second hand cars remain higher due to lower stock. In other words they are going back o their original model.

Hence why the new structure , universal underbodies just change the outside.

Senna1994 likes this.
  4. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Universal/modular platforms and powertrains with a common hybrid architecture.

Next stop, EV ‘skateboard’ platforms.

MANDALAY likes this.
  5. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Still no carbon tub. :(

tekaefixe, F2003-GA and red passion like this.
  6. mayer

mayer Karting

Feb 16, 2004
    I don’t get this. Maserati can do a carbon chassis and body-paneled car, at relatively low volume, and with a lower MSRP. What’s stopping Ferrari?

F2003-GA and red passion like this.
  7. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    It may end up that carbon tubs, or tubs in general are made redundant in 10 years by a completely different chassis structure to accommodate EV requirements.

8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Laziness. Pure sheer utter laziness. They are Ferrari- they can do no wrong in the eyes of some. But being an owner of multiple Ferraris with the aluminum chassis and the mclaren with the carbon tub, I’ll take th the Maclaren tub any day of the week and twice on Sunday!

greg328, tekaefixe and red passion like this.
  9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    So they continue with a chassis introduced in 2010? A 20 year run? Sheer arrogance on their part.

10. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I think your calculator is broken lol.... but I get your point.

dustman and SoCal to az like this.
  11. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    458 chassis came out in 2010. It’s now 2021 10 more yes are and it’s roughly 20 years on the same chassis.

sorry Rainman- I was off by a year. Lol.

Senna1994 likes this.
  12. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    The 458/488/F8 chassis will die next year.... or are you referring to aluminum/steel chassis in general?

13. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Why does this concern you? Ferrari has concluded that an aluminum tub and steel subframes gives the best cost/benefit ratio.

jpalmito likes this.
  14. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Ferrari has way more models.

Senna1994 likes this.
  15. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    The chassis but in 2022.

Senna1994 likes this.
  16. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    A car with a carbon tub just drives better. It may be cost efficient for Ferrari but they’re being cheap with their decision. The driver experience would be greatly enhance with an improvement in technology and that is what carbon is over aluminum.

tekaefixe and Boomhauer like this.
  17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I guess I was just referring to your comment about the chassis been ongoing for another 10 years. If it is the same chassis that they have in the 488/F8 and they do run the chassis for another 10 years that would be a truly a shame

18. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I thought they needed the F8 because LB was not finished in time, kind of like when we had the 512M as a one year model until the 550 Maranello came out. I think the 488 was underrated personally, even though I just sold mine after having two 458's previously. Thank you by the way for your input.

MANDALAY likes this.
  19. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany

For the GT cars like Romas, Portfinos etc. that's completely fine. However I think for the sportier models / driver cars a carbon tub would be highly appreciated as it adds a lot to the overall experience IMO. Although the rigidity of the aluminium chassis gets better and better you can’t beat the stiffness of a carbon structure. Moreover it also adds to the visual experience of a mid-engine super car. An aluminium chassis does not look that spectacular from an architectural point of view. Sitting in a carbon tub feels just more special IMO. I also think it’s always a little weird seeing specs with lots of carbon pieces on cars which use them only for unimportant add-ons/ design elements.

greg328, Shack, Surfah and 2 others like this.
  20. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I cant believe Ferrari would do the F8 because of running out of time for the LB , but it might be so. If the Covid had struck back then that would be a reason but I believe it was to milk as much as they can with only a few changes.

This is why I believe the F8 VS could and might be made. If I was Ferrari senior i would , why not ?

The 488 GTB without a doubt is totally underrated as an incredible machine.

BTW thats why there is a Portofino M , its there to hold on sale while the format changes. Its a fill in model.
    The Portofino will have the same fate as the 488 GTB because of the fill in model the Portofino M.

Senna1994 likes this.
  21. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I say that about the LB, as based on the normal Schedule, the Pista should have been the last model using that Chassis. I had a friend who told me the reason for the F8 as a stopgap was the fact that Ferrari is running behind even prior to Covid. Hence why they showed the SF90 and the productions models are only now arriving in the States. Apparently the Hybrid aspect has taken longer to get right which is fine by me.
    As I mentioned I recently ordered an F8 as I am not interested in a Hybrid Ferrari until probably a few years down the line when the bugs are worked out. In addition, IMHOI think the F8 is better looking than the SF90, but I hear LB might be prettier than the SF90 as well. We shall see.

MANDALAY likes this.
  22. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    If this was true, Ferrari would do it. CF is not a magical substance. It's just a material. Ferrari knows all about CF from F1.

You know when Ferrari will use CF tubs? When they need to.

23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Being an owner of both types of cars, one carbon tub, one bit, I couldn’t disagree with you more. The tub makes a difference. I feel the difference every time I get into my cars and drive.

Now you are correct that Ferrari doesn’t need to because there are so many fan boys and girls who think Ferrari can do no wrong but actual owners and drivers know that Ferrari so woefully behind in technology.

But, a Ferrari is a Ferrari- and that has gotten them this far and will continue to allow them to use substandard materials and cars that are not best in class performance in their categories.

tekaefixe, Senna1994 and Boomhauer like this.
  24. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Disagree all you want, but I'm right. Ferrari will move to CF tubs if and when they think it's necessary and beneficial.

25. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Thats a bit rough :) . While I agree that a CF tub car is excellent ito rigidity, I have not found Ferrari "wanting" ito chassis dynamics.