NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER) | Page 25 | FerrariChat

NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER)

Discussion in '296' started by ajr550, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia
    And 99,999% owners can’t take all potential of suspension and grip. So what? Make bad suspension?
    And heavy hybrid cars not because of big HP necessary, but because of new eco rules.

2. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia
    Don’t forget, the goddess LaF was hybrid, and P1 and 918, too. Nobody say it’s bad or boring cars. 7 years ago! Since that time technologies made a big step.

x z8 likes this.
  3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    You are the only one saying hard as a rock. I dont know what you are talking about int his regard.

Actually they have not. Give me a year and model where this has been the case.

I was referring to McLaren and Lambo as competitors not specific to suspension. Mac's suspension technology is pretty trick and works very well.

4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Thats a good point, you would hope that the newer cars would improve on those platforms not just from a power perspective but also in the total package with weight savings, performance, tech, etc.

5. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    How could you compare the F12 engine + KERS of the LF and a TT V8 + 3 electric ???
    carbon body, 1500 kg VS aluminium body 1886 kg
    NA V12 sound VS TT V8 noise...
    You re comparing apple and orange, tea towels and towels;)

6. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I seem to remember folks here posting unkind words about electric motor added to the V12 when it was revealed. The problem is modern technologies do tend to make big steps and with a hyper that is a liability much more so than a production car.

7. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I picked on the fact that you referred to modern cars in general, as soft, suspension wise. They are not soft per se, their bank and pitch angles are lower than that of cars of yesteryear. Modern cars are just more advanced, managing to be both supple (to some extent), while maintaining firm body control.

The 430 when it was launched, par example. Ditto for the 458 and 488. Of course, as years go by, newer competitors may surpass them. Ferrari is always there when launching a new model performance wise though.

It is clever and trick and some people love it. I find it too artificial-feeling for my liking, but that's just a personal opinion.

8. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

At least in Italy you have 150 km autostrada and Germany close :)

9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

But no Ferrari owner wants to look stupid behind a slightly worked Japanese car

SVR likes this.
  10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

You do realise he cant comment on that right now. We haven't passed the point of no return.

11. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    He already stated no VS. I know you really want them to make one but there is no indication that is in the plans currently.

Gh21631 likes this.
  12. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Good find, thanks for sharing.

Good work by R&T to research the commonality between the Nettuno V6 and Ferrari V8s but I believe they’re wrong saying Maserati claims this engine as 100% Maserati as I believe the video promo of the engine states it’s “100% Modena”.

In any case, apart from the F1-inspired pre-combustion head design, I hope Ferrari’s V6 for LB is an all new design and especially not a 90 degree bank angle.

13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Ingegnere, what do you consider the ideal angle for a V6 to be? 72? I am at a loss with these angles.

14. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Whether they do or don't is not a concern I have because to get one , one has to have a F8. Plus it will have a LOT of carbon ,one thing that I don't like. So even if I could I wouldn't. Ild rather have a poor mans Pista with no carbon or alcantra with electric seats and oh no stripe

15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Pista with no stripe is like a stripper with small boobs.:p:p

16. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    You don’t need an F8. Anyone who wants one can get one. Look at how many Pistas are available. If they make the car (which I don’t think they will) just wait a few months if you don’t get an allocation and plenty available on the secondary market.

17. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    To get the F8 VS one has to have the F8. Care to put a small bet that there is a F8 VS ?

18. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    What do I care if there is one or not. Im not vested in its development one way or another. If they make one, I’ll buy it. If they don’t make one, I’m happy with the Pista.

Either way don’t care enough to bet on it’s future.

19. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Normally for an even firing V6 you need 60 deg, 120 or 180 bank angle; or some other angle with a split crank throw though the later option is not conducive to high power density design or a short engine.

An uneven firing 90 deg V6, like current F1 engines, or V6 engines derived from a V8, don’t sound great. A 60 deg V gets you an even-firing, compact, narrow engine. 120 gets you an even firing design but lower CG and room in the center of the V for a hot-V layout, i.e.,turbos inside the V. This gives a short run to the turbos for better efficiency and response and is like Ferrari’s first turbo in 1981.

Both the 60 and 120 designs don’t have perfect balance (unlike V12s with those same bank angles) and I don’t think they’re better than a 90 design. The old Dino engine was a 65 degree (I think) design so sacrificed some firing smoothness for slightly better balancing I believe.

Ultimately, for a Ferrari engine, I’d expect a novel, compact engine and a bit of separation from the Maserati deign.

of2worlds and REALZEUS like this.
  20. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    #620 day355, Jul 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    To me, making theis car Hybrid is a BIG BIG mistake. In this changing automotive world, they have the power and the possibilities to impose new customers a " very lighter car " with just a TT V6, or much better just a NA V6 with news regulations norms. it was possible on this new platform to turn around 1300 REAL kg in such a case, and stop this nosense HP race.
    But...they re prisonner to the customer who wants stupid HP for the road
    Hybrid system is actually aound 280 kg...
    They ll sell it for 2 years due to the newest, and after ...
    LCDM is missing

BCHOW, of2worlds and Shadowfax like this.
  21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #621 Shadowfax, Jul 7, 2020
    Agree. Ferrari has had so many opportunities to read the tea leaves and take the lead, and has all the resources to do so BUT instead chose the luxury goods route abandoning all basic principles which put them where they were. Note the word "were", as in past tense.

This is where they need to recruit Realzeus as a full time ambassador.

22. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Absolutly right !
    They have no vision and no culture of the brand

of2worlds likes this.
  23. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    They should just read Fchat or listen to @day355 when he offers advice. It’d be interesting if they offered LB in two different ‘flavors’; one as a hybrid with +200kg and a lot of power and the other as a lightweight alternative with just the V6TT. Sorta like having the Fiorano package as the addition of the hybrid component. Obviously the wouldn’t do this because it’d mean they’d have to engineer two different cars which is a missed opportunity imo.

24. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #624 Shadowfax, Jul 7, 2020
    Yes well whilst granted they can still produce a relatively good car they have sadly become reactive followers seemingly blindsided, by being drunk on past success....and arrogance. Oh well. May as well give it to them with both barrels while i'm at it. Someone needs to call it out. They clearly can't see it for themselves.

Yes it's becoming the story of their life. Such as shame.

of2worlds and day355 like this.
  25. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Too many people without culture of the brand inside, unfortunatly...
    For exemple, i asked in a recent past, " why don t you build an exclusiv and extrem version of the Pista , just like the RS version of Porsche GT3 int the spirits ? " He looks at me and don t understand of wich i m speaking ...