430 - New member, New Owner - have a few of questions | FerrariChat

430 New member, New Owner - have a few of questions

Discussion in '360/430' started by btshat, Jul 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. btshat

btshat Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Iowa
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum and also a new Ferrari owner. Grew up a big Ferrari fan, probably started from watching magnum driving around that awesome 308! Finally have the privilege of owning one. I’ve had my 2008 F430 F1 for a couple of weeks now and am loving it! Even though I myself stare at Ferraris when they drive by, I hadn’t thought of that aspect when buying one, I must say putting smiles on peoples faces as you drive around is maybe my favorite part so far. It’s definitely a whole new car ownership experience. Now I just have to get used to actually putting a key in the ignition… and turning on the headlights! My other cars have been keyless and automatic headlights for so long, I have to actually think about what to do when I get in this thing! I’m starting to get the hang of it, I think I’ve logged over 400 miles already… I just can’t stop driving it!

Some newbie 430 questions:

1. The car seems pretty tight when I’m driving on the road, but in parking lots at slow speeds when turning and going over uneven surfaces I hear a fair amount of creeks. It seems like body creeks but sometimes seems like it could possibly be front end stuff. Is this normal to here some creeking? I’m guessing cars of this age, that might not be too unusual. A couple of times turning sharply into a parking spot, I have heard a metalic rubbing noise like you hear when breaks are wet and they grab the rotor when lightly engaged.

2. The breaks seem pretty sensitive (grabby), especially when almost stopped, say under 5 / 10 mph. I have the carbon ceramics. Is that normal?

3. I have the factory plug under the dash for the battery conditioner, but my car also has a battery tender plug sticking out behind the drivers seat. I would assume that was installed aftermarket, any idea why someone would have installed the one behind the seat? The one behind the seat is the one I have been using, but when reading thru the manual I discovered the factory plug under the dash. The manual doesn’t indicate that it was an option, so I would assume the factory socket would work. The tender that came with the car has a different end than the factory plug, so I haven’t been able to see if the factory socket works.

4. When I got the car the engine bay was spotless. Its now getting slightly dusty back there, anyone have any good suggestions on cleaning the engine area, especially the hard to reach areas like the red valve covers?

5. I hear a vibration at 3000 rpms and goes away by 3400 rpms, sounds like a thin piece of metal resonating. Any ideas on what that might be? Doesn’t seem to be effected by temperature. It doesn’t sound like anything internal, just something that resonates during that rpm range.

6. On the tail lights, it appears the silver part of the outer lights doesn’t do anything? The silver part on the inners is reverse, but the outer silver part seems to be just for appearance? Looks like European versions are amber and are the turn signals, but does the US version just do nothing? Seems odd. I did open the access panels and the wiring seems undisturbed from the factory, so I’m guessing this is correct?

Thanks for any help / tips you have!

E60 M5 likes this.
  2. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    The ceramics aren't super grabby when cold, they actually suck, but are a great when warm or hot, so it could be you're not used to them. They will squeak also, its normal.

The 2008 should have come with the charger. You can buy an adapter for CTek chargers to use the factory hookup. Check if your car has a lithium battery (i.e. antigravity), that would explain a different charger with a new port. I keep meaning to get an antigravity and try to use a CTek lithium charger with an adapter with the factory port on my 2009.

Griots engine bay cleaner in a spray bottle, horse hair brush to agitate the dirt/dust and then rinse with a hose not on heavy spray which might force water into someplace you don't want. Dry with a leaf blower, then use Griots engine compartment dressing.

If you have the challenge grill in carbon fiber on the rear, check that it is not loose and that the two black heat shields you can see though the vents are tight. Mine were loose and vibrated between 2800 and 3200 RPM. Once I tightened them, no more vibration.

Ray Smith and Qavion like this.
  3. btshat

btshat Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Iowa
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Thanks so much for the info. It is very likely I’m just not used to the brakes. Leaf blower is a great idea!

Yes I do have the carbon fiber rear grill. I will check that out. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
  5. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I purchased my 430 new and the dealer installed a charger plug behind the driver seat before I picked it up. I received two Ferrari chargers. One that plugged into the one behind my seat and one for the factory plug. I only use the one behind my seat. Much easier to use after parking in garage.
    I have ceramics on my FF. Very grabby at 1-2 mph in a parking lot when cold.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The battery charger behind the seat is the easier option, just remember to unplug before you set off. If you use the connector in the foot well you need a special connector and they are a pain to plug in. Mind you it has an interlock to warn you it is connected.
    You will see big power cables behind the seats where the charger is connected, not a good idea to use jump leads on these cars in case you fry the electronics- charge a flat battery.
    Vibration might be exhaust bracket attached to gearbox, they crack, but yours is rev specific
    The ccm brakes take a bit of getting used to, gentle pressure but if you stand on them it will stop hard.
    Creeks on front end can be wear in ball joints, same on rear. You can jack car up , wheel off and use a lever to see if any play.

7. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I was going to suggest the exhaust bracket but I would think that wouldn’t be RPM specific more of a general rattle or something.

Maybe it’s me, but I don’t find the oem battery hookup hard to do from the drivers seat. Once you know where it is and the orientation of the plug it’s easy to push it in or out by leaning over from the drivers seat. I put the charger on the floor in front of the drivers seat and then run the cable to a hanging extension cord out the drivers window since I can’t open the passenger door in my garage.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

cole328 likes this.
  8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I connect behind the seats as i dont rate the ctek charger, besides its a lot easier than putting that daft plug in.
    When my exh bracket broke i noticed it on the motorway, sort of drone.

9. btshat

btshat Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Iowa
    Full Name:
    Brian
    The one behind the seat is much more convenient. Seems odd they would duplicate though. Thanks for the feedback on your ceramics.

Way2fast likes this.
  10. btshat

btshat Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Iowa
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Thanks for the advice. I'll check the bracket. Is it unusual to hear some body creeking, then? I may have to have them check the front end out.

11. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    I agree… They squeak inordinately often. However, they look cool, and I don’t mind the squeak , as the fact that my rims never ever ever ever ever get dirty is amazing

Enjoy the ride Image Unavailable, Please Login . I’ve had mine about 18 months. Took it for a drive today, and love it more now than I did then

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

colorfull likes this.
  12. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    I have a spider. When the top is down, there is no creaking at all. When the top is up I definitely hear some creaking as I’m sure it’s just the top rubbing against the rubber. Either way, remember, the car is 13 years old. It’s not as tight as a new car: i’m excited for you, as I am just coming up on two years and I still love this thing

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. btshat

btshat Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Iowa
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Definitely enjoying the ride, thanks fo the reply!

14. btshat

btshat Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Iowa
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Yah, totally get the car is older and isn't going to be as tight as it used to be. Just trying to gauge if there is a problem, or normal stuff. Thanks for for the info!

15. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Actually the car will not start if left plugged in. It will give you the battery symbol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    They dont duplicate the charger position, it just that the main starter motor and alternator cables are behind seats and a handy place to connect a charger. If you get a flat battery, some of these modern electronic controlled chargers will not charge a flat battery, so you can connect an old style charger here to get it part charged and a modern one will then work. A lot easier than removing the battery.

17. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Yes i get that

18. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    I have a 2007 F430 spider. I too have a Certek plug under the passenger deck. I checked behind the driver side but didn't find an additional plug. Where should I look for this plug?

Sent from my HD1925 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. PBT58

PBT58 Karting

Jul 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    Peter T
    Congratulations and welcome to the club!
    I also have an '08 F430... such an awesome car!

Please keep us posted on your success finding solutions to these questions.
    Your feedback will help other owners as they encounter similar issues.

20. Spleen

Spleen Karting

Mar 2, 2021
    UK, West Berkshire
    Full Name:
    Spleen
    I had very loud creaking form the front - suspension bushes. Now gone. As for buzzing and rattling, I have a persistent buzz at 3100 and have investigated the crap out of the car to pinpoint it. Took it to my dealer last week who basically said yes, there is something but if you really want to eliminate it you could end up spending thousands. Far better to spend the money on fuel and enjoy the car.

21. btshat

btshat Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Iowa
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Thanks! Absolutely love the car! I will post updates as I figure them out.

22. btshat

btshat Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Iowa
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Yah I hear yah! I have a friend who I would consider a car expert, he restores old cars to near perfection. I'm going to have him look at it and if he can't figure it out, I'll probably just forget about it. It's not really that big of deal. It's clearly not internal to the motor, so not worried about doing damage.

23. btshat

btshat Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Iowa
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Gotcha, thanks for the info!

24. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Its not a plug behind the seats but you get cables with connector ends and connect up to one of the big red terminals and an earth point.

25. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Dane
    You need to install one. It is unusual that the dealer installed that one. The ctek plug can be ordered online to install.