New Ignition???? 400i | FerrariChat

New Ignition???? 400i

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by tr0768, Sep 6, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    Dave scared me the other day suggesting I was on borrowed time with the original Marelli ignition system. So getting ready to put our 400i away for the winter after Hershey, and we are scheduling various maintenance issues including the ignition system.

Other than Pertronix is there a bolt in easy conversion electronic conversion? My concern with pertronix is that they have had componant failures over the years and not been exactly forthcoming with replacement parts or notifacation regarding failures.

Also at some point I thought there was someone in England doing a conversion within the Marelli housings. I can not find this information through any search here.

So experts, tell me what is the best way to go regarding reliable electronic ignition.

We are also scheduling the following work on our cabriolet, strip to bare metal and do all body work and total refinish, replace front bumper, new door restraints and lights,new wheels and tires, total rebuild of front and rear suspention, new brakes front and rear, rebuild power brake unit, replace master cylinder,new struts for hood, replace leather dash cover, replace window weather strips, replace door weather strips, replace all interior carpets and who know what else we will find as we tear into the 400i.

That should take care of the drivability issues and cosmetics. While we are not interested in a concours car, just a good reliable driver. We will save the concours stuff for Candys 308gtsi, and her new purchase a 1987 Lotus Esprit, an already concourse winner.

thnx,

Howard and Candy Musolf
    1981 308gtsi
    1982 400i Cabriolet
    Maserati Spider
    1987 Lotus Esprit
    2 many brass era cars

2. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    MSD model 6A..$200 clams and you'll never look back..Lasts forever and is basically uneffected by its enviornment..most of us mount it in the left front corner of the bonnet..gap plugs at .050". Gas milage will improve somewhat due to more efficient ignition of the gas. I hope that this of some help to you..Jacques.

3. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    MSD 6AL works great and you'll find one bolted on lots of 400's.

4. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    Is there much conversion work required? or is this a bolt in or plug and play? Anybody know which model is correct?

Howard Musolf

5. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Howard,

there are several options to replace the Dinoplex AEC104B in your Ferrari. As posted before, the most common option is a MSD 6 series ignition and Blaster II coil. I recommend the MSD 6AL-2 (6421) ignition over the 6/6AL, the enclosure fits quite well in the space of the original Dinoplex and the digital 6AL-2 uses less energy than the previous models.

You'll find the wiring for the plug & play replacement here:
    http://www.dinoplex.org/PDF/Wiring_MSD6AL2_for_AEC104.pdf

It's possible to do a conversion of a AEC104B to use MSD internals, but it is a bit time consuming. Let me know if you want to go this way, i might be able to help.

Using a Pertronix ignitor is not recommended, the 4 ampere coil current is not sufficient for driving a performance engine and the design is a bit heat sensitive. You can use one to trigger the MSD 6AL-2 though, if you want to get rid of the points setup in your distributor.

Adrian

6. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    My 1981 400I has a magnetic pick up in the dist. is that not normal for the 400I?

7. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    That is normal, all 400i's use magnetic pickups. Ferrari (Marelli) introduced these first in the mid seventies when the AEC104B ignition replaced the AEC103A.

Ignore my last comment about getting rid of points please, you are perfectly set already :)

8. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    Mine included. My MSD (the off road version, black and waterproof) is mounted under the right front headlight. Almost impossible to see. The Dinoplex and wiring left in place so it looks original. Made a world of difference in starting and in performance. $$ well spent.

Al
    1984 400iA 50605

9. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    Went to their web site and got the information for the coil and module. I did not see any information on a wire harness. Is there one to purchase or do we create it in our shops?

howard Musolf
    1982 400i

10. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #10 alhbln, Sep 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You only need an AMP TYCO Fastin-Faston Male Connector (Part #480004-5) and four male crimp tab connectors to connect the MSD to the existing 400i's AEC104B wire trunk. The coil, ground and +12V connections are handled using the wire trunk coming from the MSD.

I've included an installation sheet which i did some time ago for a company reselling this replacement setup, might be helpful.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. AlbertoMiguel

AlbertoMiguel Rookie

Dec 2, 2010
    Dear all
    I have a 400i auto that uses the AEC 104BW Dynoplex, unfortunatelly with this ignition problem. Following the debate on the subject the solution seems to be this MSD 6AL-2 system. Unfortunately I am not very well with electronics and I fear that over here in my garage neither they are, so the question is how to set the rev limiters. Is there a need for using both the 2 step and the MAx one? which should be the setting in each of them toget the setting of a 12 cil engine at 6600 rpm?
    kind regards

12. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    6600 RPM @12cyl equals 9900 RPM @8cyl for the MSD rev limiter setup.
    Set the '1000' dial to 9, the '100' dial to 9, and the 'CYL' dial to 8 and you're good.

13. anxpert

anxpert Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Oceanside, CA
    Full Name:
    Enrique Mar
    #13 anxpert, Feb 8, 2012
    Just received the Digital 6AL MSD Ignition / PN 6425 for my 400i, I've included pictures of the RPM settings.

Looped wires are set for an 8 cyl by not cutting them.

I will be fabricating a mounting plate for it tomorrow .... I'll be running the plate on a CNC, should any one else need one PM me .

14. fez1238

fez1238 Karting

Sep 5, 2007
  15. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #15 alhbln, Feb 9, 2012
    Would recommend deploying the 6AL-2 #6421 as the size fits exactly within the footprint of the original AEC104, see below with custom AEC104 shaped mounting plate and TYCO connector for plug&play installation. The conversion wiring chart is based on this unit.

16. AlbertoMiguel

AlbertoMiguel Rookie

Dec 2, 2010
    I sincerely would like to thanks all you guys. This is really good news. I thought I was going to have a nice pice of metal sat in my garage. I am on my way to get one. I am thinking to get it hide somewere, and keep the original one unplugged.
    cheers

17. fixitagaintony

Feb 9, 2012
    cleeeeeveland....
    Full Name:
    bg
    mount it on the fusebox in pass footwell.top left.there is room.and it stays cool. but make sure to set rev limit 50 percent higher as unit is designed for an 8 not a 1w2!

18. fixitagaintony

Feb 9, 2012
    cleeeeeveland....
    Full Name:
    bg
    call me 4 free advice on this job 2167128267....

19. cig3

cig3 Rookie

Mar 14, 2009
    Grand River, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bloom
    Summit Racing has their private label unit SUM-850610. Same features of the 6-AL but adds weather pack connectors. I've used them on a few projects and have never had an issue with them. I have has MSD stuff quit on me in the past. The summit stuff is a little cheaper as well.

20. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    #20 350HPMondial, Mar 1, 2012
    Got the correct TYCO Connectors here.
    ;)
    Cheep PM me.

Edwardo

21. AlbertoMiguel

AlbertoMiguel Rookie

Dec 2, 2010
    I finally received my MSD unit a couple of days ago. It took only four days and cost me 317,9€. I'll keep you posted.

22. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    Well fellas, I have a carb 400GT that does not want to rev beyond 3500 approx.
    Presumed to be ignition/ advance/ points.
    Do these electronic devices replace points or points and advance mechanism?
    I was expecting to pull the 2 distributers and have the advance curve checked then replace points.
    Any help/ assistance gratefully received.

23. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    The MSD units do not replace the points or change the advance curve. You need a pertronix kit to replace the points.

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor/default.aspx

The web page shows the ignitor, the ignitor II, and the ignitor III. I got the basic ignitor and their matching coils and have been very happy with the way they work. My 365 has two distributors and they have a kit with two units. Below is the link to the kit for the two distributor set ups, its listed for 330s and 365s but it also says for the Marelli S125 distributors. They also list a kit for single ditsributor set ups. While they don't list 400s I would think if you have the S125 you should be good to go, just give them a call.

http://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/Ignitor%2C+12-cylinder+Ferarri+330+%26365+models/part_number=MR-1122A/591.0.1.1.26484.26485.0.0.0?pp=40&sort_selection=price_high_low&

24. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    If the carbs are ok and have been checked already then i would test or exchange the ignition coil and only then the AEC104 ignition itself. If there is an issue with the advance mechanism you would notice this way before reaching 3500 RPM. BTW, i am relatively sure that you have VR pickups instead of points already.

Take a look at the spark plugs immediately after trying to rev above 3500 rpm. If they are greyish/white you need to check the carbs as they run much too lean. Most probably the plugs are black though and might even be wet, i would then first exchange the Marelli BAE 202B ignition coil (a MSD Blaster 2 #8202 works well as replacement). If that won't fix the issue, you might need to replace the AEC104 itself. A good and economic exchange is a MSD 6AL-2 but other MSD 6 variants also do the job.

25. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    Thanks guys. I am in a different country to the car but will check later. Car is running rich, tach is not jumping (often a coil symptom), will change coil first then delve deeper.
    I expect it has the twin points but will check after change coil as that is easier.