New Here | Page 8 | FerrariChat

New Here

Discussion in 'Australia' started by kryten2001, Apr 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    The lid doesn’t seal correctly and the fluid can escape. The new one is able to be screwed down securely. If you try to tighten the original one they just keep spinning, so can loosen and you can power steering fluid on a hot engine/headers.

Here is a side by side pic. My car is a 95 too but a single fuel filter hence the fuel line difference.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

here is a link to a replacement. It’s easy enough to swap it out.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253570836253

kryten2001 likes this.
  2. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Really interesting. Thanks

I remember the local dealer quoted me a massive amount to change the abs system because it was pumping too much pressure. Turned out that he misread the workshop manual and that wasn't the problem at all. What if I hadn't checked though?

I inserted that fuse thingo to get the flashing light codes and worked out a small oversight after the engine was rebuilt and reinstalled was the fault. $2 part and 20 minutes labour. Sigh.

knocker, MAD828 and kryten2001 like this.
  3. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Yes, I remember a 355 at a rally in Canberra some years ago with the engine awash with fuel due to a fuel hose failure.

Very, very few owners ever change their fuel lines, but they should be done every 10 years at the very least. Inside that nice shiny steel wrapping is a rubber hose that rots.

4. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

I got a 2.1 error code on mine. One of the recent mechanics reckoned that was a 99% guarantee that the issue was the hydraulic block, which I guess if you believe the code, it is...

Thanks to YouTube I now know that to be a misreading. It was an erroneous fault code being caused by a lack of voltage to the ECU (thanks to a blown diode).

Diode costs 90c. Hydraulic block costs $15k. Ouch.

5. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

Can't see any history of mine ever being done. Added to the next major, along with new clutch.

6. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

Here is the series of videos. Even if you don't have the issue I had, it's an extremely cool resource for those with the Teves ABS setup (348's and early 355's).

Yeah it's 'murican :(

7. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

Cheers really appreciate that, I'll get this sorted.

8. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    May I say, it will be a very brave thing to do to wait.

9. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

The ABS System/Power Assistance system in these really show you how far things have come. They are a real pain in the a$$.

10. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Wow, that's a BIG win!

kryten2001 likes this.
  11. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

Mmmm... Fair call..

It's only gonna get driven once a month, so I might bring forward the clutch job with the fuel lines then. I know it had the recall done for the fuel lines, but I don't know they've been replaced at all during the time the last owner owned it (18 years). I'll re-read all my receipts once again.

You see this car is perfect for me. I'm that guy who likes to care for something until he kills it with kindness. Match made in heaven really.

12. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Good. Do the fuel lines!

As molly would say, do yourself a favour

13. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Because you looked at it with 'clean' eyes and weren't afraid to ask for (and more importantly listen to) advice from others - well done!

14. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

That video I linked was a direct fix. So yes not only is the problem fixed, but I now consider myself an entry-level tech when it comes to the TEVES ABS system :D

Again it's the awesome community out there that allowed this to happen, not me. It's great all this information is out there and being shared by such a great bunch of people. I'm really quite surprised. I thought it would be all held under lock and key by the Ferrari Master Techs like the KFC formula is.

15. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Fuel line recall did not affect the early 95 cars like yours, only the single fuel filter cars they changed the fuel block and lines due to routing issues, that caused rubbing.

16. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

Mmm just re-read all the receipts for the last 18 years. Definitely no fuel lines ever replaced.

17. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

Dealer is probably full of cr*p then, he told me mine was done. Just goes to show huh. Are the lines just run of the mill aftermarket lines, or do you need a particular part from Italy?

18. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Warning Will Robinson!

19. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

It just never ends with these cars huh! The wife of the last owner warned me about this. She said it would be a money pit!

Are these replaced with regular lines or do you need something particular/special?

MAD828 likes this.
  20. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Dunno....can't be much to it though.

21. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Depends how focused you are on originality.

You can take the old hoses to someone like Enzed and they may be able to recrimp the original end fittings onto new hose, or supply fittings that are close in appearance.

Or, you pay through the nose for a NOS set (if available). Liner may have deteriorated from a long time on the shelf though.

I did my 575 with new fittings and you'd have to be really good to pick them. 99% of judges wouldn't.

Better than a fire...

Maranello550 likes this.
  22. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Well, maybe not with a 575

23. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Could that judge tell the difference between a 246 GT and a GTS?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Gizzi and Maranello550 like this.
  24. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    LOL. How cruel.

I enjoyed my ride in Greg’s 575.

25. Maranello550

Maranello550 F1 World Champ