New Ford GT | Page 39 | FerrariChat

New Ford GT

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by atomicskiracer, Jan 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ByeEnzo

ByeEnzo Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Tejas
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo Bandini
    I got mine! I think my weather dependent delivery window will be wider than yours, living here in TX. Congrats!

2. lsmkr01

lsmkr01 Karting

Oct 5, 2010
    VA
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Did Ford give any info as to the general time window those deliveries would start for the first batch of cars?

3. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c525SrrPGUk[/ame]

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So, the dealer can mark up the car from the MSRP and determine the "final price"? That doesn't seem right.

Its good you can choose your dealer and try to negotiate it but it seems to me it's an unnecessary hassle for someone being pre-selected by Ford and paying $500K for it. Theoretically people all across the country could be paying different prices for the same car depending on dealer mark up. I would have figured Ford would have figured in a standard mark up for dealers in advance.

5. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Here's the answer to pricing from the Ford GT Forum, from 2 guys who know.

The Welcome Guide is worded the way it is to comply with franchise laws. Ford cannot interfere with the retail sale of the vehicle. What they can and did do was give the allocation to the customer so the customer controls which dealer will sell. I can assure you that Ford has dealers who will deliver all 1000 cars at MSRP if necessary. It's that simple, so no one should give a second thought to whether the cars will sell at MSRP. I'm more interested in knowing whether I can negotiate a deal under MSRP. Ha

Quote Originally Posted by DBK View Post

Look, let me state this unequivocally, you will be buying your car at MSRP.
    Don't worry, I've already got a laundry list of dealers desperate to post their MSRP selling services on the forum

6. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I've read where dealers handling the Ford GT are required to buy a special $30,000 trailer to haul the car for service, provide a "clean room" for wrenching, obtain specialized training for chosen employees, blah, blah, blah. Perhaps the mark up is more to amortize the required dealer investment rather than just pure dealer profit. The Ford GT selectees apparently chose the delivering dealer rather than the other way around. Perhaps someone who has received the Welcome Package can enlighten us.

7. ByeEnzo

ByeEnzo Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Tejas
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo Bandini
    First cars will be delivered towards end of '16 according to the "welcome" email. Build slots etc., for regular joes like me will be a rolling process. Will find out more in the next month. It will take 2 years to build the first 500 cars (one CF chassis baked daily). Say, I'm a late build slot (in the 400's) then I will most likely be looking at delivery in late 2018. Factors such as regional weather (winter in the north) will also affect delivery windows.

As for "negotiating" with the dealer, if a dealer wants to "mark up" from
    MSRP, I walk, and talk to another dealer. I have the allocation, not the dealer. A dealer gets a nice chunk of change to deliver the car....or nothing if they start playing hardball.

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #958 TheMayor, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016

I totally agree with this but it seems like an unnecessary "finger in the eye" to a loyal Ford patron.

It's like "so you made me go threw all these hoops to get a car and now I have to negotiate the final price with a dealer or find one who will sell it to me at MSRP?"

If Ferrari can do it, why can't Ford? It seems like they've purposely opened the door to dealer mark ups for some unknown reason. The clients are all pre-selected. The dealer can't sell the car to anyone but the person who has the slot.

So, the markup should be zero because their potential market is just "one person".

If you buy the car can you sell it back to the dealer? I wonder how many will be resold for a lot more money than MSRP with delivery miles on them. One sale could net a dealer $100,000 to $200,000 or more to their bottom line.

9. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Which when you're operating at 1-2% net margins is a pretty attractive proposal.

10. dbk

dbk Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    SE Mich
    The language is necessary because of dealer franchise laws that exist in every state in the Union. Ford, by law, cannot tell dealers what they have to sell the car for. They can only strongly suggest.

I thought the implication of the process was pretty clear from the start, as it was to Sinovac (who is a lawyer). When the topic first came up months ago when people saw the language and flipped out, it took all of about 5 minutes before I was being bombarded by dealers asking if they could post that they would deliver cars at MSRP.

So TheMayor, have you seen many dealers forcing those billionaire Ford shareholders to trade in their 05/06 for a shot at the new GT? Just wondered if that was still going on...

11. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7IrRzeONVc[/ame]

12. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    The difference is that Ferrari can punish dealers by jerking them around on future allocations if they don't follow the company line on MSRP pricing. Ford isn't in the same position. Is Ford going to "punish" dealers by telling them they won't get a version 4.0 GT if and when it's made in the next 15 years?

So this question finally dies and gets buried, consider this:

1. Ford has done everything it can do legally to prevent ADMs;
    2. There are more than enough dealers to "deliver" the cars at MSRP; and
    3. If ANYONE pays a dime over MSRP, it's because they want to.

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #963 TheMayor, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Saw this at Sema today. Pretty cool. They left it exactly as it crossed the finish line. It's amazing the abuse these cars go through.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Got news for you, that chassis raced after the Lemans race according to the team. Saw it up at Road America in August. Maybe they placed the bodywork from Lemans back on the refurbished chassis.

15. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #965 F1tommy, Nov 4, 2016
  16. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Can someone comment on what is the square "88" grey on black background that appears to be taped just behind the right front wheel on the 66 & 67 cars?

17. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Michael is one of my good buddies and I've been in his blue car a couple times. Not many people deserve a car more then him.

18. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Lights up with the position of the car in class during the race.

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Won't be the first time Ford have displayed another car as the winner ... Jim's GT40 was once painted and displayed as the winner.
    Pete

20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

This car had the LeMans graphics and had a wear hole in the CF front fender just in front of the drivers door.

To me, it looked like the real deal with real dirt, right down to the crew fingerprints on the rear wing.

21. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #971 Devilsolsi, Nov 7, 2016
  22. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    Yesterday it read 1 and 2 on the Ford GT's in Shanghai.

Joe

23. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    Some new info from the racing section of fchat from someone who knows about the racing version:

As nobody has seen the street Ford GT or what it has internally, as a street car. would knock your socks off. The technology in the chassis, the suspension, the aero is way past what Ferrari has done on the 458/488. The Ford GT street car is as close to a race car as you can do and still be street legal.

Some of the stuff is very, very cool: More like an LMP car than a GT car. All of this is on the street car:

1.) Carbon tub that is unique in the world as far as design/mfg. Nobody else has a tub like this.

2.) LMP style rocker arm suspension front and rear. And uses torsion bars the way they are used on an LMP car. Co-axial with the rocker. Same as most F1 cars. Also a first on a road car.

3.) Fixed driver position with moveable pedal and steering pack. Not first on a street car but need to buy a LaFerrari to get same thing.

4.) Fully working. massive rear diffuser on street car. Bloody effective.

5.) Adjustable rear wing, low drag, "race" and airbrake positions available.

6.) Front suspension is a "Zero keel" design, like many F1 cars. Unique to any road car.

7.) Fully raised, boat hull nose/underbody on car. Right off an Audi/Toyota LMP1 car. Very unique-and only car on earth with it. Yes-On the street car!

8.) Speed adjustable ride height. Not unique but the spring rates also change with the ride height change. And that is pretty unique.

And on.....

24. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    Any know final horsepower and weight numbers? I've heard 630HP and 2,890 lbs.