New Ferrari "Manual Transmission"... | Page 6 | FerrariChat

New Ferrari "Manual Transmission"...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Doc_Dent, Mar 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    The Gordon Murray car is an interesting technical exercise, but as a matter of personal taste I find it unattractive. That 'fan' in the rear of the car reminds me of something else.

As for the argument that excessive power may cause an accident with a manual, I doubt that, but I was not thinking about a Porsche 917-30 with 1000+ hp. Imagine a lightweight Ferrari with either a small displacement V8 (2.5 turbo?), or even better, a small displacement NA (3.0) V12. Maybe even give it a romantic name which includes '250'. Its would be comparably easy for Ferrari to engineer something like that with a reliable, light, sonorous 400 hp (which can also be more fuel efficient than the current cars, but not complete against the current models in terms of absolute speed, think Porsche Cayman vs. 911).

I am not sure I really care if it cannot go faster than 300 km/h, or has regenerative braking, hybrid power, or anything horribly complex like that. Ferrari should be able to 'de-content' such a car, emphasize its track car nature over luxury appointments, charge a premium price and earn excellent profit from each unit sold. I understand that the F40 was one of the more profitable per unit cars Ferrari has offered, so this could be similar. I am not sure if, with current safety regulations, not to mention current Euro emissions standards, it could be made as elemental as the F40, but there has to be a way to build something far simpler than the current models.

CottonCandy, ginoBBi512 and INTMD8 like this.
  2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    It’s all computer controlled. A DCT can shift so much faster than a manual.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Doesn't matter, if stability control or traction control wants to cut power it can do the same with manual, dct, auto, no matter at all.

willrace likes this.
  4. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula

While I understand where you come from, there are certain folks who never grew up on manual. They don't feel they are missing out on anything by going with the latest tech.

There are a certain die hard people in all kind of choice
    Film vs Digital camera. Some people believe digital pictures can't get a certain feel that film can.
    LP vs CD vs streaming. Ditto. Certain type "warmth" is lacking in digital media.
    Incandescent vs LED.

FWIW, I do wish my car was offered in manual but, alas, it wasn't. I still don't let that minor detail from letting me enjoying my drives.

paulchua likes this.
  5. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    How did I miss this thread?? :).

Chris Harris has driven them ALL.

https://www.dexerto.com/cars/top-gears-chris-harris-slams-stupid-625k-ferrari-sf90-stradale-1429227/

"“Give me 500hp, 950kg, a manual gearbox, and maybe a little bit of electricity to get through town quietly and start-up quietly in front of my neighbors; Give me that, and that’s the car I want.” -Chris Harris

Plenty of good cars out there to look at, drive, and admire... There's pros and cons to almost every car. Very few cars are perfect. If you're buying... buy manuals :).

paulchua and F2003-GA like this.
  6. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Ferrari's next mid-engine should be a V6 (mini Pista motor 530HP) hybrid motors (220HP) for front wheels with a 7 speed manual stick on the center consul but with a selection on the Manettino for DCT that activates paddles on the steering wheel. Best of both worlds! I'd like one of those. Ferrari???

paulchua likes this.
  7. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    That would be a dream coming true,,,

8. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    There is very little chance of Ferrari offering a manual transmission for its production models. It’s like the probability of them officially returning to Le Mans.:D

paulchua, kes7u and Texas Forever like this.
  9. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Since Ferrari is officially returning to Le Mans, maybe chances are good they will build a manual/dct."In February 2021 Ferrari confirmed it will run a factory entry for 2023 FIA World Endurance Championship in new Le Mans Hypercar class".

paulchua and Topace like this.
  10. Stealthssfc

Stealthssfc Rookie

Jan 30, 2019
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Scott “Angry Donut” Constantine
    Aston Martin started selling the new Vantage with a manual transmission due to customer demand. The last generation V12 Vantage S was offered with a dogleg 7 speed manual as well. They carried that same dogleg manual over to the new AMR Vantage. Its nice that a few exotic car manufacturers actually cares what their customers desire!

INTMD8 and paulchua like this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Here's the thing though, Ferrari has to make the SF90 and cars like it. Harris said it himself-"car manufacturers are chasing ever-decreasing 0-60 times and fighting for the fastest lap times possible." Much of Ferrari is brand, and if they don't have the 'fastest' car, then the very ethos is lost. I'm glad Ferrari made the SF90 and hope they continue to be on the bleeding edge, everything else be damned.

Magazine racers and lap times don't care how one feels.

It doesn't mean one *has* to buy it. Harris said himself that he prefers the F8 better. Great! No Ferrari dealership will force you to purchase an SF90 to get an F8. The fact that the F8 (he likes it better) is half the price is even better.

ShineKen likes this.
  12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Personally, I feel Ferrari hasn’t made the fastest cars on the market in a good while. Depending on how you are measuring the fastest of course. The Ferrari brand, for me at least, is about looks and the driving experience.

paulchua and ginoBBi512 like this.
  13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Exactly

14. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    9nb, sixcarbs and 456-boy like this.
  15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Bit more context. With 59' 4.9 Superfast and 60's homologation specials too many to name - Ferrari invented the "hypercar" notion in this epoch. 512 BB definitely can be said at least in the class of the 70's 911 Turbos

80s Yield the legendary 959 vs. F40
    90s McLaren F1 vs. F50 (this is where I think Ferrari started to look away from the price)
    00 and Teens Enzo and LaF (back to form)

Indeed Upstarts such as Bugatti or, say, Koeneissig will have 'best in the show,' but I argue they are more boutique vs. True Production (perhaps the point.)
    While your point that Ferrari is no the perpetual titleholder in everything (agreed), it's imperative to be within spitting distance. With numbers shattered yearly, NASDAQ: RACE perpetually waged.