New Ferrari "Manual Transmission"... | FerrariChat

New Ferrari "Manual Transmission"...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Doc_Dent, Mar 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    With "Porsche" offering Manual Transmission for GT3,
    BMW giving the "MT" option for M4 as well.
    I was wondering if Ferrari would do the same by giving the option on one of it's models?
    It doesn't have to be a V12 flagship or a high performance one, at least one of the models that is more about the looks and feelings like "Roma" for example,,,

Why not?

jpalmito, jackals4 and Ajax de 1e like this.
  2. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    As a percentage of sales, very few people buy them. With few selling, design and R&D costs are HUGE on a per unit basis. This makes it cost prohibitive.

3. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    Porsche's 911 sales are 30% manuals in the US, there's huge demand here. They've said numerous times they'll keep making them if people keep wanting them, and they/we do.

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Funny guy. You mean people actually drive these cars?

Boomhauer and Caphill like this.
  5. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Not a chance, those days are long gone, never to return. Thats why you see F430 , F355 ,360 550 , 599 manuals and whichever going for insane prices . Like the Op said, no one wants to shift gears, not unless theres those paddles hanging from the steering wheel, with that being said, those drivers most likely would not even know how to work a 3 peddle car. Im glad Porsche is still in the game, even offering a 4s with a 7 speed and 3 peddles . Im now ok with trying to afford a 488 GTB at some point, I love the car so much, and with the 328 still under my tutelage , I will be fine with left foot braking and full throttle upshifts , its a nice dream to have at 57 , now if I could just stop buying motorcycles . lol

Thank you

6. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    Makes sense.
    + Porsche in comparison has much bigger production numbers and sales as well.

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  7. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    Was driving my 575 a s few months ago "F1".
    A friend of mine joined the drive with his 355 "Manual".
    We switched cars on the way back, can't express the "blast" I had shifting the gears with "top down":)
    +The BIG difference in "horses" didn't spoil the "thrill" at all,,,

ScottS, Little Joe, jackals4 and 3 others like this.
  8. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Sadly it will never happen.

They'd rather make the easy $$$ selling bloated SUV's targeted at the wives of orthodontists so they can one up the Urus mom's in the private school car line.

Bigilo, arizonaitalian, ZF123 and 6 others like this.
  9. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    Yup, IMO if they had to choose between following the SUV trend, or give us an amazing modern Manual Transmission F car, they would follow the $$$ of course :)

10. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    This will never happen, and in the incredibly unlikely event that it did the Roma is the last car they'd fit with a manual gearbox. I'd wager that few Roma buyers would even know how to drive it, and even fewer would want to.
    As long as the trend towards GT cars and SUVs- as opposed to real sports cars- continues, neither Ferrari nor any other low-volume carmaker will offer a manual transmission. Sad, but true . . .

HotShoe likes this.
  11. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    Yeah, "sad" indeed.
    "Spyker" did beautifully though,
    but that era is over I guess...

12. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    Have been getting many offers lately
    on my Lamborghini Murcielago "gated ofcourse";),some around %10+ more than what I got it for.
    But whenever I think about letting go, a feeling of "WHAT PROPER MODERN GATED EXOTIC CAN I GET INSTEAD?" gets me.
    IMO, in a few years with how AutoMakers are steering the market, I guess gated TOYS will be in a very different level of availability and price range.

13. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    When they offered it on brand new California they only sold THREE UNITS total worldwide
    Hence no more offerings plus F8 is way too fast for a manual

Doc_Dent likes this.
  14. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    Never knew they did before!
    That is interesting,
    any idea of price they charged?
    What kind of Manual gear was used " new Gen" or "previous /modified"?

15. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    No cost option

16. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Ask why they don´t build manual gearboxes anymore to those who didn´t buy manual 599 and 430 while they still offered them. Hard to find those cars now because few were sold back then. Those who want performance will buy a semi-auto because it´s faster, and those who want a GT cruiser would buy it too because it´s more comfortable. That leaves a small market of "purists" in the middle.

Although I suppose that at some point they´ll make another manual, as a "Icona" car, a very rare limited edition or something like that: it´s easy to find a small group of collectors willing to pay whatever for a rarity.

17. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    That is a logical thought,
    However limiting it to ICONAs would be useless to most "purists" I guess, looking at sticker prices of ICONAs....

18. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Those would be "rich purists".

A manual Ferrari now would be necessarily a very expensive car: niche market, and they´d need to redo a lot of the base car.

19. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I keep hearing they don't make them because very few were sold. This is true but also many accounts here of people trying to order them and being dissuaded. (or told, sure but you can wait a couple years for it if you get one at all).

So more like self fulfilling prophecy.

And no car is too fast for a manual trans.

20. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    They could also offer leaf springs, drum brakes and un-powered steering :D
    Qualifying an outdated technology as "pure" is beyond me.
    I think there are misconceptions due to the North American automotive industry, equating the DCT with the former sluggish torque converters that have been ubiquitous for years there, and have provided a terrible solution to encourage lazy drivers (and, worse than that, have been precluding other choices for decades).
    In Europe the situation has been different, most cars have had manual transmissions until the recent spread of hybrids, so it's easier to recognize the DCT has a real advance.

21. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    People who like manual transmission are Not denying that DCT is more advanced - they just prefer the manual experience

Topace, jcurry, Schultz and 11 others like this.
  22. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    For me it's just something of the past - I like it in my 550 but think it's out of place in a new car (and I do not miss it in the 488).

randkin likes this.
  23. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I’d rather have an engine that actually makes noise over a manual transmission. That would be a nice change

24. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    can't imagine shifting my own gears at 8k rpm, constantly....I am so over with the manual.

Boomhauer likes this.
  25. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    How's that manual trans going to work with an electric only car? It is likely they all will be all electric way too soon.