New evidence in Stepneygate | Page 10 | FerrariChat

New evidence in Stepneygate

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by tifosi12, Sep 6, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    whereas so many 'facts' have hit you in the head you're punch-drunk :D

sort of explains a lot of your posts though :)

2. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    The situation as I and many others understand it today, is that Ferrari did not chose to have their confidential docuements given to McLaren, but McLaren, IF everything that has been said is true, took and used the docuements to their advantage and then try to cover it up with a series of lies and denials. So unless Mr. Lauda knows something that none of us/media does, Ferrari is the unsuspecting and unwilling participant in this scandle, as oppose to McLaren's role, they are fully aware of what was happening and still chose to go ahead and used the Ferrari IP thus to committing a criminal act. For this, McLaren alone is at fault, should F1 experience any sort of demise, McLaren alone is responsible and deserve to be punished. IMHO, Ron Dennis can do the right thing here and salvage what little dignity he and his team still has left by stepping down immediately or at the end of the season, should it be proven that McLaren is indeed guilty. Afterall, he is the captain of the ship and that would be the honorable thing to do for the great McLaren team.

Just because Mr. Lauda was an ex-F1 driver and a 3xWC, it doesn't mean he has no flaws in his judgement on this matter.

3. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    ask Bobby Rahal about Nikki .... I liked Lauda , I admire the courage in a man that will get back into a car that nearly killed him while he was in great pain but he's losing me

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    There is some truth to that.

Still I like him for throwing us a bone once in a while in a world where corporate sanitized talk is now sold as "top 3 finishers interview".

5. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
  6. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Do you really wish me to re-post all your comments about Kimi from the beginning of the season so we can so how much of a Ferrari "supporter" you are.

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Easy there. No name calling needed.

8. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Tony:

I personally think Lauda is a bit loose in the head.

My point is that even a Ferrari man can recognize that this entire situation started with a disgruntled Ferrari employee. McLaren didn't solicit the information, Stepney proffered it to them. Had Stepney not been disgruntled, this likely would never have happened.

I guess moretti and 355 will somehow come to the conclusion that Lauda too is a McLaren apologist. :rolleyes:

9. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Andreas:

PM sent

10. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Ferrari has no control over they what a disgruntled ex-employee will do, but on the other side, McLaren knew what Coughland has and went ahead to accept and used it to their advantage (If true). One action was done in the shadows without Ferrari's knowledge and consent but the other, was done in the open under day light. Again, unless Lauda is saying that Ferrari knew and wanted McLaren to have the docuements, his view in this case and IMHO, is completely insane, ex-driver or WC or not.

Think of it like this, if your kid comes home with a new Porsche that he/she just bought off the street for $100 because it is a stolen car, and he/she knew it is stolen and even told you so, what will your reaction be? Yes, he/she did not steal the car nor did he/she went out searching to buy a stolen car, but do you honestly think that he/she did absolutely nothing wrong here? By Lauda's logic, it is the driver's own fault for having his car stolen in the first place.

11. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    I don't think that was Lauda's point. I think the point he was making is that Ferrari allowed an employee to become disgruntled. From what I have read of the situation, Stepney legitimately thought he deserved to inherit the Technical Director's position, instead it went to the head of HR. I think most of us would be upset under those circumstances, though likely none o fus would have gone to teh extremes that Stepney had.

This raises an interesting question in my mind as rumors are also circulating that Todt is unwilling to relinquish the position that Ross Brawn now seeks. Could there in fact have been hidden animosity in Ferrari between Todt and Brawn? Schumacher held that team together and with his presence ont he team, Todt and Brawn forged a partnership. With his absence perhaps hidden animosities arose when Brawn left the team. Stepney was clearly a Brawn protege and perhaps for this reason he was passed over for the promotion? Office intrigue is hardly an unknown quantity at Ferrari and it seems to me that Stepney may have been a victim of it initially.

While Stepney's actions are inexcusable (as are Coughlan's and anyone else involved in this) perhaps the root cause of this whole debacle stems from Todt's mishandling of his employee.

12. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods

Oh come on now - this is nobody's fault except for the guy who did it. Do you blame the manager of the post office for the nut case that shoots up the place?

13. kirill

kirill Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Kirill
  14. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    No, just commenting on Lauda's statement.

I don't think management ought to be accountable for the actions of a rogue employee, no matter if the team's name is Ferrari or McLaren.

15. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    So is this what a Judge or The Court has to consider as culpability- "if not for" the following actions
    (internal ferrari politics)… none of the following circumstances would have occurred.

When assigning blame and calculating a legal sentence? Who bares what % or responsibility...or is it-
    one side takes all blame?

16. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
  17. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Thanks

+1000

We should make our points without attacking others.

As to Lauda, he is a loose cannon. I think he says things just to get attention. I feel sorry for the guy, it seems he really wishes he were able to race again like the good old days. He just needs to grow up and move on IMVHO.

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    This holds true for everybody.

A fight needs two.

At some point I don't care anymore who started it or who said what last time around. Call me a bad mod, but if I see too much mud slinging going on, I'll just ban all parties involved. So if you guys can just cool a bit and put each other on your ignore's lists, that'd be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Now back to the topic at hand:

When do you guys think will we hear a verdict? Thursday is the meeting, but do we expect a result BEFORE the Belgium GP or will this thing drag out?

19. shahedc

shahedc Formula 3

Jun 4, 2007
    Washington DC
    I hope it's afterwards.... I really want everyone to be on edge, and I want to see another McLaren 1-2 finish! :)

~shahedc

20. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    The last time the spanish member was kind enough to tell us (most of) the verdit a week or 2 BEFORE the hearing as I recall? :)

The fact that they listed a punishment in the first verdict makes me believe McLaren will be out for 07 and 08 this time around.....and it looks like that's the only way Ferrari is going to win a championship this year....

21. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Given how damaging this entire episode has been to the sport, my guess is that they will arrive at a quick decision to (hopefully) put this matter to rest.

Unfortunately, no decision that the FIA reaches will be satisfactory to all, I am afraid we will be bemoaning this affair for a long time. I just hope they come to a definitive conclusion, regardless of the decision.

22. Ambassiatore

Ambassiatore Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2007
    Full Name:
    David Figueredo T.
    there are places on the internet for MCLIAREN AND BOTH OF THEIR DRIVERS WERE YOUR INPUT WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

...I think you are in the wrong place...in the wrong time...

and certainly YOU are on the edge...

BUT WELL, as tifosi12 called for...I´ll chill out

23. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark

I hope its afterwards also.....but I really want Ferrari 1-2 finish.... its more fun to see the battle going back and forth every race....makes it harder for the FIA to end the 07 season in the courts instead of on the track.

24. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005

Really?

You have been tolerating the vulgar and childish deformations of racer and team names, repeated endlessly by the same posters who amazingly think themselves witty and funny.

Alonsohole! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Get it? Alonso = *******! This is killing me! ROFLMAO! What wit!

Not to mention the constant questioning of the Ferrari "credentials" of those who disagree with them, in their attempt to censure discussion on this board.

25. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Julio

Being fair to Andreas he had mentioned that is out of order about deformations of names the more vulguar ones that is.
    But I see your point.