360 - New DIY F1 heat sink since Ricambi is out. | FerrariChat

360 New DIY F1 heat sink since Ricambi is out.

Discussion in '360/430' started by John_K_348, Jul 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Here is a DIY thread on creating a new heat sink and heat shield, after losing my F1 pump at Concorso Ferrari & Friends last month. FoNE replaced the pump, motor, fluid and upgraded to a 50A relay, since I wasn't sure it needed to be bled. After studying similar threads here, I found a heat sink source that can be made to fit. Here is my thread from Facebook:

F1 pump area heat shield. Made of fiberglass header tape and aluminum foil tape for HVAC systems. Works great. Already made shields for my exhaust ECUs and Capote/Fuel pump areas above the headers. Motor heat sink is on order and may need trimming to fit. Will mount with thermal paste and a hose clamp if needed.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Well this turned into more than I expected. Looks like the F1 reservoir was overfilled at dealer probably because a young tech finished the job. The service bulletins state that the dipstick is no longer valid and to fill to the "center ring +- 5mm" which is the center seam about 50mm from the lip. I had to pull more of the other panel off to see for sure. Italian fixed clamp on rear hose, screw type on front. Both tight and I had cleaned fluid spills already once. Maybe it was just flowing down but I have opened the door many times on my project so far so that may have been enough to overflow it. I sucked out fluid with a turkey baster down to the center ring.

Now on to the main event... 3 inch pump motor heat sink from AltE store here in MA. Typically used for hot water solar systems and geothermal et al. It was too big too fit out of the box. But thanks to Ancient Greek mathematics and some Da Vinci tech, I figured out that the reduction in circumference to match the 2.6 inch diameter of the Magneti Marelli motor was just about perfect if I cut the 1 inch empty spaces between the fin groups. Nice! So here they are deburred and dry fitted with clamp.[not shown] A couple strips of my famous rocket science foil tape to fill in the slight waist at the base. Now to follow with thermal paste and tighten down. Button her back up and hope there is no leak in the reservoir. I let FoNE know about the overfill. They confirmed it was burped several times, but with the wicked temp swings and long periods of rain here, it looks like it needed more. I also shared these pics.

And here we are with the paste and clamp tightened down. Really fiddly with clean up of paste all over as the blocks slide around. This should be good for about 10% cooler running, also described as 30F cooler by laser thermometer. Pray the reservoir and hoses are OK. The F1 level is a known issue and I didn't have a puddle so it's probably runoff from the bleed and fill job or overfill.

Now for dry weather and a nice test drive. Not today ;)