New California for me! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

New California for me!

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by w0rtw0rt, Nov 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    So sorry to hear that! Did you get a PPI (prepurchase inspection) before you bought the car?

2. w0rtw0rt

w0rtw0rt Karting

Jun 21, 2020
    Jefferson, GA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lawson
    Unfortunately, FoA no longer provides those and Ron Roenicke wasn't available to do it at the time. We'll see how bad this turns out after I get the full inspection done. This'll be on me, for sure.

3. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Ouch! My sympathies!

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thinking positive thoughts for you. Having second, but losing the other even gears is not one that I've heard of before. Best wishes...T

5. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    No way would I even consider spending close to half the value of my car to repair it, You will lose every bit of it. Some Indy shops have been known to repair the DCT in the Cali for 6-7 K,
    Good Luck

jblakesmith_gt and alex like this.
  6. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Read up on California DCT repair on F-chat. Maybe it can be repaired vs. replaced. Best of luck! Keep us posted.

7. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    i would truck the car to Steve at Boardwalk in Dallas or some other well-known dealer/independent before I'd let them touch the car, honestly ... that's just highway robbery right there.

Bill Phillips and AD211 like this.
  8. w0rtw0rt

w0rtw0rt Karting

Jun 21, 2020
    Jefferson, GA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lawson
    Honestly, with the outcome of the other thread that I read regarding Steve from Boardwalk, I've toyed with it. I am going to play hard ball with them at FoA. We'll see what all it needs. I've been using them for a bit on my other car so I am hoping there's some rapport established there where they won't try and take advantage of me. Doubtful, though.

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I don't even recall $40K being quoted for full replacement back when this was the only option. It was low $20s IIRC. Maybe the prices have skyrocketed as these parts become harder to find.

Definitely talk to Steve Fordham. I'm sure he can give you the scoop on your options.

T

10. w0rtw0rt

w0rtw0rt Karting

Jun 21, 2020
    Jefferson, GA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lawson
    Update: Car is being flatbedded by a covered flatbed service as a courtesy by FoA. They've also indicated that they'll work to get the car eligible for the New Power warranty. Because the DCT issue is not throwing any codes that are readable, if it passes their inspection, it's covered. Then if it occurs again, they'll just replace the DCT covered under warranty. I will keep everyone posted and take pictures of the service details.

SLViper1 and tomc like this.
  11. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hoping for the best outcome!

w0rtw0rt likes this.
  12. tanktom

tanktom Rookie

Dec 26, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Henry Tucker
    I'm literally in the same boat (but haven't yet bought the ferrari - shopping for a cali). As a newbie, I'd like some advice on mileage please: on 'normal cars' I'm aware of what a high mileage is etc. and how many miles a normal diesel engine can stand before it's finished. However, it seems to be a different ball game with ferrari's. Is a 2013 Cali with 25k miles on it fir example, high? How many miles can a Cali do before the engine is beat up and close to finished? Thank you.

13. tanktom

tanktom Rookie

Dec 26, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Henry Tucker
    Sorry to hear this. I'm shopping for a Cali myself and hear stories of pre 2013 models having DCT issues. Am I being paranoid or do people on here think there's some truth to that?

Dmartin likes this.
  14. tanktom

tanktom Rookie

Dec 26, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Henry Tucker
    Hi Paul, I've heard people on here say this before: is it not better to have a car with lower mileage? That was my assumption but I am a novice when it comes to Ferrari? Thanks

15. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I don't think it's the actual miles on the car as much as the perception that mileage affects resale value. Some owners are very sensitive about this. I am the third owner of our 2013 California 30 and this year I put 6000 miles on the car. This is my car for the duration and I don't care what the next owner is concerned about. I intend to care for the Cali and do regular maintenance, but for me ownership is about driving and having fun. I would be leery of an eight year old car with only a few thousand miles on it. Lack of use, in my opinion, is more detrimental to these cars. They were meant to be driven (and loved)!

Sammi likes this.
  16. tanktom

tanktom Rookie

Dec 26, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Henry Tucker
    Thank you. Yes, I can see what high mileage does to resale but was curious as to whether the higher mileage was necessarily a bad thing for the car so thanks for clearing that up. Any general advice to someone who is looking to buy their first Cali please? Thanks again.

17. w0rtw0rt

w0rtw0rt Karting

Jun 21, 2020
    Jefferson, GA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lawson
    Get an inspection done on the car. Verify 100% that the car has been serviced at an authorized dealer and, if not, get the name of the dealer/mechanic who has been servicing it and verify with them what the problems with the car have been.

Buy a New Power warranty if the car has less than 56,000 miles on it - this will bullet proof you against the DCT issues that are common in the 2009-2012 models. Also ensure the car has not been tracked (if you care about that and if you're going to purchase the warranty).

When I went and bought this car, I told myself, "Nah, I don't need the warranty.". After the issues I've experienced, I am glad I am going to be able to get it now. It's going to save me about $40k.

18. tanktom

tanktom Rookie

Dec 26, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Henry Tucker
    That's so helpful - really appreciate it Matthew. Sorry to hear of your issues. The Cali I will be buying will have less than 56,000 on it so the New Power Warranty is a must IMO. How much is this if you don't mind me asking? And does it cover you for virtually everything? Thanks again

19. w0rtw0rt

w0rtw0rt Karting

Jun 21, 2020
    Jefferson, GA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lawson
    I was just quoted $4850 for the 12 months of New Power on my 2010 California. It covers most everything. Here is the brochure I was given on it.

Attached Files:

20. tanktom

tanktom Rookie

Dec 26, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Henry Tucker
    brilliant - thanks. Any options on the Cali you have which you would highly recommend?

21. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    In the US, 20K miles or 30K kilometers seems to be the dividing line based on what I've read here on F-chat for Californias...T

22. jblakesmith_gt

jblakesmith_gt Karting

Jan 12, 2020
    So sorry to hear about your dct issue. Maybe it will pass inspection and you can get the new power warranty for peace of mind. I went that route as well, especially for the first year and give me more time to research other dct repair options other than swapping the entire gearbox for $40k! Not to scare you, but I've heard oem diagnostics can read codes that others on the market cannot. Good luck with everything.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

23. jblakesmith_gt

jblakesmith_gt Karting

Jan 12, 2020
    Agree, but how are you able to get motor mounts for $800? Installed? I may need some soon on my 2013 that from records appear to have original mounts with almost 10k miles. New power warranty inspection stated they were fine, but noticed a bit of rough idle. Was told by local ferrari dealer to use chevron techron concentrate plus fuel system cleaner in next tank. We'll see how that goes. Some on ebay want over $1k for a set. Are aftermarket versions maybe better? It's amazing how they don't last very long. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I think Vic was making a joke. Jeopardy TV show reference...T

25. jblakesmith_gt

jblakesmith_gt Karting

Jan 12, 2020
    Thanks Tom. I didn't realize the price was a joke as well. Lol. Not a big jeopardy fan, so maybe 800 is the highest category? Either way, would love to hear thoughts on pricing options for mount replacement. I'll do a search, but thought Vic may have a great price option above.