New book on Mangusta: how long do we have to wait? | FerrariChat

New book on Mangusta: how long do we have to wait?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by bitzman, Jan 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I was excited bout this book annnoucement
    [​IMG]

De Tomaso MangustaComing Soon!
    [​IMG]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login [​IMG] Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Look Inside
    The DeTomaso Mangusta is very much the forgotten Italian supercar, living in the shadow of the younger and more ubiquitous Pantera.

Using exclusive and rare interviews with the engineers, test drivers and factory personnel at the time, Eau Rouge bring you an unrivalled insight into this exciting, yet complex car. This book is an important addition to any automotive enthusiast’s library.

De Tomaso Mangusta by Marc Sonnery & Doug Blair

Of all the sports car manufacturers in Modena, world capital of craftsmanship on wheels, home to more iconic brands than any other city on earth, de Tomaso has always been the marque that received the least coverage.

Among its models, the Pantera was always in the spotlight, whereas its fascinating predecessor, the stunningly beautiful and groundbreaking Mangusta never received the attention it truly deserved. In fact there was a gaping hole in terms of research and documentation, which after painstaking years of work has now been filled with exhaustive interviews of all the significant participants in the tale. A vast number of never before published archive photos has been sourced, individual cars documented, and properly restored or untampered preserved original cars have been test driven and photographed. In the process quite a few myths were debunked, mysteries elucidated, questions finally answered.

Also extensively researched and documented is its predecessor the Vallelunga, of which the Mangusta was essentially the scaled-up offspring. The amount of material found on this gorgeous limited production four cylinder lightweight was a major surprise, and the finest in the world was also test driven and photographed.

Finally, in order to put the Mangusta in proper perspective, all of de Tomaso’s history is covered including the man behind it all, Alessandro de Tomaso – a man driven, never one to mince his words, always eager to move onto the next project. Ultimately, like the Mangusta, he was not flawless but it all adds to an extraordinary tale, one that was unto,,,
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    until i found on Fchat a conment that the book is due out in 2015, I looked at my calendar and it's 2021....

F40org likes this.
  2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France

Some update here, in case you did not see them: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/official-book-collectors-thread.200937/page-128#post-147663034 (from post #3197)

3. thesteve

thesteve Rookie

Mar 28, 2021
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Full Name:
    Steve Thornton
    In the late 1970's, I bought Mangusta 8MA758 as a race car, one of only 2 Mangustas professionally raced. Several years later I sold it to a dealer named Guy Anderson in Atlanta, GA, USA for more than I paid for it!

When I bought the car it come with 2 Bud Moore Ford 302 high port head engines with a Weaver Brothers dry sump system attached to a 20 quart tank. A custom built ATL fuel cell was under the hood. The suspension was replaced with heim joints and large tubing with a roll cage from front to rear.

One of the first things we did was to remove all of the front fender sheet metal support and sit on the leading edge of the fenders to change the aerodynamics. We looked at photos of the car on a race track from the owner I bought it from and saw how high the nose was vs. the rear. We built a new air dam, improved the oil cooler performance, built a rear wing and went to wider rims and tires.

It held the track record for 2 years at Charlotte Motor Speedway, using the road course. Top speed was over 210mph. We raced it in IMSA and SCCA.

Steve Thornton

4. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    ..a gorgeous design with unique details..

Are the stories of the front end lift *that* accurate? How bad were they? I've heard the front end could lift clear off the road at high speeds, but it was always told second hand.
    - Art

5. angemana

angemana Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 20, 2021
    Full Name:
    Ange Mana
    registermangusta.com have all the builtsheet with all the vin number, gearbox number, color, engine number, options, then a book should have all the builtsheets in the book

6. angemana

angemana Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 20, 2021
    Full Name:
    Ange Mana
    Reputedly converted for racing in the US.
    Sold to Mike Parsley, Sussex, UK.
    1990′s sold to Philippe Olczyk / VDV Grant, Brussels, Belgium.
    Colour changed from white with blue stripes to blue with white stripes.
    Advertised for sale in Classic & Sportscar magazine.
    2002-06 advertised for sale by VDV Grant, Brussels, Belgium

This 1969 Mangusta was race-prepared by a car dealer in Atlanta, Georgia for competition in IMSA. It was powered by a Ford Formula 5000 engine, with four-bolt main bearings, a forged crankshaft, roller camshaft, competition cylinder heads, dry sump, and a Shelby Weber induction system. Originally white with two thin blue stripes, it was repainted blue with white stripes, and was for sale in Belgium.

From the register

7. angemana

angemana Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 20, 2021
    Full Name:
    Ange Mana
    If not correct, ads corrections, will forward to the register, can you provide more photos ?

8. angemana

angemana Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 20, 2021
    Full Name:
    Ange Mana
    Steve Thornton, can you provide please more photos and the complet story for the ex race car

9. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    Hello Vito, Did you get a new nom de plume???