New Bicycle Advice | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New Bicycle Advice

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by walnut, Dec 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NINERGUY

NINERGUY Rookie

Nov 28, 2014
    charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Hello sir, waltworks bikes. He is a master at frame building and will let you buy parts at cost with your build. Best fit and finish. And he is a master at getting your specs and body geometry right.....about 6 months for frame. About 1700.00 usd and only builds in steel.

2. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    #27 Loz997S, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Glad you got a normal bike rather than the ones you were considering. That one looks perfect.

Single speed bikes belong at the track. Coaster brakes belong on beach cruisers. Jury is out on disc brakes, the pros won't use them as they are sharp and hot and cause nasty injuries when you crash (plus those guys don't brake much so they hardly need them anyway), for regular riders in hilly terrains I think they make sense (speaking as someone who crashed at 35mph from a front wheel blowout caused by brake overheating).

Here's my baby, welcome to the club :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #28 walnut, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I actually remember to take a picture of the bike this morning, so here's how she stands currently. I've had to change out the seat (now have a Selle Italia Gel Flow C2 as shown) since the original didn't have a channel in the middle and was getting quite uncomfortable. I really am loving this bike and use it for my commute almost every day (only take my mountain bike when it is very rainy). The ride is a lot smoother than I'd imagined it would be given the lack of suspension and the shifting is so smooth! The only thing it does not have that I would have liked is hard points to mount a rear pannier rack (like my workhorse mountain bike). As it is, I just use a back-pack and pack a bit lighter than usual, no big deal. I was able to find a set of SKS Raceblade fenders in the "long" configuration which do a terrific job.

Again, thanks to all the advice that was given which convinced me to get a proper bike instead of a hodge-podge of bits and bobs. I still can't get over how incredibly light a carbon frame bike is!

P.S. Loz, that's a nice looking bike!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That's a fine-looking carbon fibre machine. Rich, I'm glad you found a nice setup for your spiffy new "commuter". The weather should be looking up and I imagine pretty soon you'll be thinking about doing some club rides. I like that you added the fenders and are looking for panniers. However, your bike frame looks fairly aggressive which means it was not designed with touring in mind, and explains why they did not include eyelets on the forks and seat stays.

You may be able to substitute the missing eyelets with add-on adapters like this one: Tubus Adapter Set For QR-Axle Mounting from Wiggle, an online bike parts supplier that I use a lot. I'm not sure it will work for your bike but you can inquire using the links provided on the webpage. They also have clamps for seatstay mounting. Again, I'm not sure if they work on your bike. Make sure you check everything out before committing to a purchase, returning stuff is a hassle.

I also had panniers on an old bike 35 years ago and did some camping with them back then, when I was a little less squeamish about skipping showers after a sweaty ride, sleeping in a tent and sharing the great outdoors with the "wild life". :)

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Very cool-looking bike. Don't they make red Shimano brake lever covers too? (I have red Campy ones on one bike - wasn't my idea tho LOL) :D

6. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    They do, but I reckon there's already a bit too much red lol. Tape is going to black when I need to replace :)

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Really? I think it would look great with red hoods. Try a photoshop simulation before you ditch the tape. You might like it. ;)

8. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    Well maybe black tape, red hoods :)

9. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    It'll only be a commuter until the end of June, once I move back to the states there's no safe way for me to ride it to work. That's when it will become a lunchtime exercise ride and no need for any "luggage". That's a big part of why I went with more of a "race" bike than a city/commuter bike.

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Look forward to you getting cracking on the cafe racer in July ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk