New 550 Owner | Page 5 | FerrariChat

New 550 Owner

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by rhern213, Feb 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    So thankfully I was able to cut off the end of the hose that was eaten up, and the hose had enough slack where it could still reach the nipple on the manifold and be plugged in again. Still had a tiny bit of wiggle so it's not completely pulled and stretched. Ran the car for a while and all seems good now, just have the annoying CEL on now.

2. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Wow that's crazy you found mice droppings in those panels, I can't believe they can squeeze themselves into them. But I did actually already check in there. I removed all of the cars shelves and panels to have everything cleaned, re-glued, and re-attached properly. And I also added some extra padding to the panels for sound deadening. I posted a few pics of it a page or two back actually. I wanted to make sure I knew everything was removed and as it should be after the previous owners stereo install. Thankfully I didn't find any mice related issues in the interior.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Disinfectant is a good idea since mouse excrements can cause hantavirus, but probably not in the damp NW. It can in the dry SW.

rhern213 likes this.
  4. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Quick update on work done today, I installed the new radio. Just wanted to add in bluetooth to get more modern features. The radio is a Pioneer 80prs and connected with a 16-pin din adapter that fit right in with no problem. The oem cd-changer was disconnected and will remain unused now that I have an in-dash cd. The radio also has a huge array of colors to match the green oem lights perfectly. I do prefer the look of the oem radio, but the modern use of this one outweighs the look for me. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. MattH1973

MattH1973 Rookie

Jun 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Matthew Hunt
    rhern213 likes this.
  6. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Mirek and rhern213 like this.
  7. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
  8. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink
    Hmm...looks familiar.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

rhern213 likes this.
  9. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Nice Tom!
    2 questions if you don't mind, are you using the preset colors either Olive or Puregreen? To see what you thought was more accurate.
    Secondly did you find any setting for the brightness of the screen? I tried to turn it down using contrast but it doesn't seem to do much of anything.
    Thanks!

10. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    MattH1973 and niftyfivefifty like this.
  11. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I am LOVING this thread. Thanks so much for continuing to share.

rhern213 likes this.
  12. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Thanks! Good to know I'm not annoying people with too many posts. :)

As a follow up, here's the fully re-assembled rear shelf. Not sure if it translates through pictures, but it's all cleaned, properly reattached, leather treated, and conditioned. Belt buckles also cleaned and polished.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Harryk, Il Tifoso and NE550 like this.
  13. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Translates just fine. Nice job. That looks great.

ralfabco and rhern213 like this.
  14. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Wow, I want that. How hard was the install ?
    Did you have to do any cutting/splicing or tear out the dash to install ?

Also, what about the Becker Radio code ? Still need one ?
    Thanks to the OP for the awesome thread and to you for putting me up on this !

15. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    #115 rhern213, Mar 17, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    It should be a direct swap they use the exact same connectors. The only thing you would want to confirm is if the pins are in the exact location on each radio. The radios themselves have a diagram sticker on top that tells you what each pin is for so it would be simple to just pull the pins out and relocate them. But I highly doubt that would even be necessary, should be simple plug and play.

Yes you would need the radio code, but Becker has to provide that when you buy the radio.

Removing the radio is simple, take off the shifter ball, shifter plate, ash tray. The center panel should easily pop up, it's only pressed in. Gently pull it up just enough to access the connectors for the ash tray and hazard buttons and that's it. The center panel pulls out with the radio still attached, there's plenty of harness length to pull it out completely. The radio is held on by clips on the sides, and a screw on the back plate.

One thing to be very careful with is the plastic spacer underneath the shift plate. Mine completely disintegrated and fell apart I had to order a new one from Ricambi which took about 2 weeks.

Here's a picture of what the inside looks like including the plastic spacer I had to order.

Attached Files:

16. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Man thank you for taking the time to post that (and with the pics). Great information !
    This is really great news for a guy like me. Do you just use your old Becker radio code ?

I will most likely have it installed but my hat is off to you for doing it and of course to the OP who has a lot of talent…and cajones !

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  17. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Each radio has it's own independent code, so whichever you buy make sure it comes supplied with it's code and is verified to be the correct one.

I was the OP BTW, :)

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  18. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    That interior restoration looks great. What leather cleaner/conditioner did you use?

rhern213 likes this.
  19. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    I bow down to you good Sir !

Many thanks.

rhern213 likes this.
  20. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    NE550 and niftyfivefifty like this.
  21. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Thank you! Very cool, I use their stuff for washing my car.

rhern213 likes this.
  22. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Here's what I started on the seat cleaning. Small change but it was just a once over. I'm still going to work on it a bit more to get it better. Before is on top, after is on bottom.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Harryk, Ferrari55whoa and flash32 like this.
  23. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Very nice!

rhern213 likes this.
  24. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Goos to know this plastic spacer is available (again?). I had exactly the same, disintegrated in my hands. At the time I couldn'd find a replacement so made my own on the milling machine from a piece of hard polyurethane.

rhern213 likes this.
  25. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Ricambi didn't have it in stock but they did manage to get in within a week. I didn't know how long it would take to get the part, if at all, so I had a friend draw up a CAD design for 3D printing.

Here is a link to download the STL file for anyone who'd like to use it.
    General dimensions are 103x76x12 in mm.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v1N4FO9Pxuxwu1OW_uNTuA_nbKM-Sk_L/view?usp=sharing

Attached Files:

308 GTB and franschman like this.