new 400i owner has "issues" | FerrariChat

new 400i owner has "issues"

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Brennan, May 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brennan

Brennan Karting

Apr 28, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Brennan Johnson
    Greetings, All--

As previously posted, I bought #47583 (an '84 400i 5-speed) recently. This is my first F-car and I have a feeling there is going to be quite a learning curve! In going through the car, I have found the following things that I really don't understand - hopefully the forum can shed light on some if not all of these:

1. Air Conditioning - does it exist, or is that what the window switch is for? My fans blow HOT all the time, no matter what position I put the sliders in. I've cranked the blue dial completely clockwise, but it makes no difference. Also, what is the 'proper' direction for the sliders to be in to select either dash or feet - my passenger and driver side sliders seem to be installed opposite of each other.

2. Car alarm - does anyone else have a car alarm on their car? It says alarm all over the car, and there is a little red light just aft of the passenger window switch, but I am yet to see this blink or otherwise show activation. Is this a factory or aftermarket thing?

3. Stereo - mine will not turn on. In looking through the owner's manual, I didn't see a fuse dedicated to the stereo. Does anyone know what fuse runs the stereo?

4. Antenna - mine will not go up/down. Again, does anyone know what fuse this runs off of?

5. Fuse box - there is a random toggle switch in the fuse box. It is connected to wires, then tucked between two fuses. I have no clue what this is controlling, if anything. It is in the "ON" position - maybe this is for the alarm, if it is indeed aftermarket?

6. Starter Relays - occasionally when I turn the key nothing happens. Other times it starts perfectly fine. The seller told me that he thought it was probably one of the starter relays going out. Does this sound plausible? Has anyone else had this experience? If so, what is the trick to getting these things unplugged? I tugged and tugged but neither would budge!

7. Random tube in engine bay - today I was poking around under the hood and found a random tube in the engine bay, just forward of the battery. The end I can see is cut and just hanging loose - if I tug on it it feels as if it is connected to something down behind the front wheel well. At one time it was clear, but now is yellowed; approx 1/4" in diameter. Any thoughts?

8. Fog lights - so what is that yellow button in the console for? It lights up every time I turn the headlights on, but depressing it seems to make no difference.

9. Parts - where is the best place to get parts? Specifically, I need driver door rubber seal, and a LH hood hydraulic (that looks like it is going to be a bugger to replace without tearing the hood liner apart!).

Hopefully the forum can shed some light on some or all of the issues above. Otherwise, I've been driving teh car and having a great time with it. I live in a fairly small town, and it sure is a head-turner (especially with that great sounding V-12!).

Cheers.

Brennan Johnson
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    '84 400i #47583

2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The a/c and the heat/fresh air are two different systems and work independant of eachother.
    The sliders should be forward (closed) and the heater/fresh air fans off when operating the a/c. It shows you this in the owners manual. Do you have one? If not let us know and we'll show you where to download one.
    When you turn the blue dial, does the compressor kick on? Have someone stand outside and watch as you turn it on.
    Sounds like you need a recharge on the freon.
    And remember the golden rule.....a/c on pre 1985 F-cars was marginal at best to begin with.

Definetly aftermarket. Trace all the wires and rip it out. You'll save yourself loads of electrical problems if you get as much of the aftermarket crap out of there as you can.

Dunno, but someone here will have that answer for you.

If you have an aftermarket stereo your antenna is most likely powered up and down by the stereo itself. Mine is.
    If your stereo won't go on then the antenna won't work.

Not factory. Trace it then remove it.

I'll let others take a shot at the rest

3. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Battery vent hose (for non-sealed batteries).

Hey - you're running out of issues pretty quickly. Congrats on the car!

4. Brennan

Brennan Karting

Apr 28, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Brennan Johnson
    Upon closer inspection I notice that fuse #16 runs the radio and flashers. Upon checking fuse #16, yes indeed it is fried - I hadn't even checked the hazard lights yet! Upon replacing the fuse (w/ a 20A, I didn't have a 15) it immediately popped. Hmm. Replaced it again, and it popped again.

Here's something else interesting, maybe you can comment: the turn signals ONLY work if the flasher button is depressed. If the flasher button is up, the turn signals don't work. If the RH turn signal is on, the flasher button flashes; if the LH turn signal is on, the flasher button does not flash. Why do I smell a gremlin here???

Thoughts?

Brennan

5. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    1. Air Conditioning - The sliders control the fresh air intake and the defrosters and the flow of hot water to the heaters. I'd say you need refigerent. The blue dial completely clockwise is as cold as it's going to get.

2. Car alarm - Agree with the answer already given.

3. Stereo - The fuse you already identified controls the radio, hazard lights and cigarette lighter. see recommendation at end of msg.

4. Antenna - If its got the original radio the rocker switch below the driver window switch controls the antenna. This switch gets power from the radio. Or if later radio was installed it could bypass the switch and be powered by the radio.

5. Fuse box - Ditto...find out what it is and get rid of it.

6. Starter Relays - no experience on this one.

7. Random tube in engine bay - Is there a windshield washer bag? It could be the hose to the washer pump located down below the battery somewhere.

8. Fog lights - The switch with the triangle on it? Try looking at the red 'fog lights' in the bumper and see if it controls them.

9. Parts - Hopefully you get an answer to this! I need the door seal too.

It sounds like it would be a good idea to get the factory wiring manual (400i: Electrical wiring manual Cat. # 291/83). I found one on ebay for less than $40. www.ferraribooks.com has them but they cost a bit more (>$100).

6. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Aircon in 400i's has always been good, even more so if you have the optional dual zone system, sounds like it may just need a recharge as the old R14 isn't supposed to be used anymore (even though some people still have it) you may have to change to one of the more modern coolants.....which means you may have to swap out receiver/drier etc (there are converters but they don't seem to work as well)

I'd go through the electricals with a fine toothcomb, removing aftermarket splices and unused additions (dump the alarm!) some stabilant 22 from ricambi america applied to all conectors will help with mystery electrical issues. Replace the older metal type relays with more reliable plastic ones it makes a real difference

Ferrari UK should be able to supply with seals and hood strut (depending on price, if its expensive take it off and get your local friendly auto supply shop to match it up to something else (Volvo estate))

7. Brennan

Brennan Karting

Apr 28, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Brennan Johnson
    Thanks for all the advice! So what is the trick to getting the relays removed - anythign other than just tugging on them? Those buggers are tight!

8. Brennan

Brennan Karting

Apr 28, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Brennan Johnson
    If the LHS slider is in the "off" (circle) position, I still get HOT air at my feet, but it is closed everywhere else. If I move the same slider to other positions, the air comes out of the vents that you would expect. The RHS air will shut off completely when in the off position. Has anyone else traced something like this down? A gate not closing? A connectin problem somewhere?

I think I do need refrigerant - the AC is working, just not well.

9. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    rather than just tug them try to prise them loose at the same time

10. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Find a good independant mechanic in your area and hopefully it is'nt anything major. Ferrari's can be very very expensive to maintain so good luck. The temputure control dial went out on my 328 about 10 years ago and the dealer wanted over $500 to replace it at that time.

11. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    7) I have the same loose tube on my right hand drive 400 Auto. Does your car have rear a/c. I think this tube was installed by the factory when the cars were being assembled and only used if the car had rear a/c

12. Brennan

Brennan Karting

Apr 28, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Brennan Johnson
    No, I don't have rear A/C. I like one previous response, explaining it as a vent tube for a non-sealed battery. No?

13. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Brennen,
    Tom and I enjoyed checking out your 400i during the run to the wineries and on my lift. It is very nice.
    Recharging the r12 in your 400i solved the A/C problem at this time. We will get together to resolve the heater control valve issue in a couple of weeks or sooner.

Since my background is in electronics and instrumentation, we should be able to resolve all the other electrical problems.

Look forward to more get togethers.

Rich
    87 TR #73703

14. Brennan

Brennan Karting

Apr 28, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Brennan Johnson
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, RICHARD! It was great running with you, Tom, and everyone else last Saturday. It's refreshing to find a group of helpful guys. As I told you, I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty, but I am afraid of breaking something on my new-to-me 400i. I have definitely tapped into a local knowledge base, and I appreciate your willingness to help. The AC in my F-car is now blowing cold, and I'm looking forward to more projects. I owe you!

15. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    Brennan:

Did you just recharge your A/C system with fresh R12? Did you check for any leaks before recharging? Was it difficult to come by the R12?

Same problem with mine.

Kraig

16. Brennan

Brennan Karting

Apr 28, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Brennan Johnson
    Kraig-

We added 2 full cans of new R12 to my system. I was lucky to find Richard (lm2504me), who is EPA-licensed to handle the R12, and he even had the R12 on hand. Before adding, he pressure checked my system and verified no leaks - I guess I was fortunate that there was some pressure remaining in the system, or else it can be a much more involved process.

I bought my car from Randy Simon in Beverly Hills - he had it serviced by Paul Herrmann in San Fernando Valley. PM me and I can send you Paul's phone number if you're interested and looking for a mechanic near you. I really don't know anything about Paul, as I've never dealt with him - I know that Randy uses him a lot though.

Good luck.

Brennan